OT: Most underrated Jet 1.0 2.0

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
1.0 Zhamnov. No one seems to remember he nearly lead the NHL in scoring during lockout and did it in style. He was a highlight machine and could have had a much more productive career had he not played in Chicago during their dark ages.

2.0 Little. Above average in nearly every facet of the game and consistent. He’d be nice to have on the team this season.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Hawerchuk was definitely underrated outside of Winnipeg, the points he was able to put up with the talent he had around him was amazing. Teppo Numminem was another very underrated.
Grossly underappreciated anywhere outside of Winnipeg and Buffalo. Seems like most lists put him around 60, he's top 20 in scoring and that is right around where he should be on these lists.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Forwards: 1.0 Thomas Steen - the guy did it all and was just an all round great player. 2.0 Bryan Little - the two players are actually quite similar. Little was not only underrated in the NHL in general, but within our own fan base. He wasn't flashy, he just did everything with a high rate of precision, he could pass, had an accurate shot, could check, PK and run a PP. Just a beauty and a bloody shame we lost him. I think losing him and Byfuglien were the key drivers of our fall from WC final participant to mired in mediocrity.

Defense: 1.0 I was tempted to say Numminen but even though he was my favorite player I do think he was widely recognized as a good all round defensemen with elite defending (for that era). I'm going to say Fredrik Olausson. Not really known outside the Jets, and had his defensive moments, but offensively he was so smooth. 2.0 has to be Tobias Enstrom. In his prime he was our everyman out there, and I think the fact that he made his pair with Byfuglien a net benefit when Buff was playing his wild, self centered style is a real testement to his ability. Unfortunately with Toby, he slowed down a bit with injury and his last bit of time with the team I think that hurt his escapability which was one of his biggest assets. I do think Enstrom leaving forced Buff to play a more responsible style and ended up making Byfuglien the more complete, unicorn he was in the last few seasons with the Jets.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hmm most underrated Buff some people didn’t like his turnovers but such a difference maker.

Kfc is still underrated around here. Even now, as our top winger Ehlers pld schief get way more love than him yet he continually just puts up 30 goal seasons.

still pencilled in to 2nd line and never complains.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
1.0 Zhamnov. No one seems to remember he nearly lead the NHL in scoring during lockout and did it in style. He was a highlight machine and could have had a much more productive career had he not played in Chicago during their dark ages.

2.0 Little. Above average in nearly every facet of the game and consistent. He’d be nice to have on the team this season.
I will 2nd Alexei. He was supremely talented.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Great thread / topic

1.0 - Alexi Zhamnov. Amazing visions and skills. I don't think he ever got the credit that he deserved in Winnipeg and around the league as an elite player. I know only with Winnipeg for 4 years, but was well over a point per game player during that time (even in his rookie year)....and I remember listening to that legendary game on the radio (Bring back Keilback!) ....immortalized in this local community by @Zhamnov5GoalGame Goalies were Kelly Hrudey and Grant Fuhr that he victemized....so not exactly slouches!

2.0 - Buff. He garnered many accolades - but was a game changer like no other. Commanded the ice like none other when he stepped onto it. Offensive abilities, big shot, physicality, leadership and pulling 3 opposing players out of a scrum by himself and rag dolling them. His charisma would be another intangible that I would throw in....from his chirps to grinning at cameras when battling in the corners. He, for me, is our 2.0 legend. Miss you buddy, may you live a long and happy life with your family and your fishing rod!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hawerchuk was definitely underrated outside of Winnipeg, the points he was able to put up with the talent he had around him was amazing. Teppo Numminem was another very underrated.

Somebody voted Hawerchuk into the HHOF. Surely the voters were not all from Winnipeg. :laugh:
He was also voted the Calder winner.
45 G, 103 pts as a rookie! Damn, I wish we could come up with another like Dale. :)

Agree Teppo was underrated.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And 2.0 ?

hmmmmm - Laine?
:laugh:

Could be quite a few candidates. Little is the obvious one. But everybody picks him, so I guess he is not that underrated. I'll go with Matty Perreault.

Or maybe Beaulieu - he is certainly rated low. Does that count? :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hmm most underrated Buff some people didn’t like his turnovers but such a difference maker.

Kfc is still underrated around here. Even now, as our top winger Ehlers pld schief get way more love than him yet he continually just puts up 30 goal seasons.

still pencilled in to 2nd line and never complains.

This year, nobody is getting more love from around here than KFC except PLD and that is because of physicality and C over W.

But I agree he deserves more and I think he is really underappreciated around the league. Even you crediting him with 30 goal seasons is underselling him a bit. They are 30 plus quite a bit.

Consider that the last 2 seasons were shortened by Covid, not by him missing games and look at his paces each of those years and he went:
44 (pace)
38 (pace)
48 (pace)
That started with his rookie year, making it even more impressive. Imagine the attention he would be getting in TO, Mtl, NY or Philly with those numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad