Post-Game Talk: Monarchy Abolished (x3)

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Exhibit A to refute those that say we got all the calls that series. This call was a comedy of errors by the officials. Perry gets his stick slashed out of his hand, and then is tripped into the goalie. And Perry gets the only penalty.

I dont think we got all the calls, I dont think anybody gets all the calls (though the aves are close)

But I do think we came out on top overall when it comes to officiating, which is a phenomenal and unique occurrence for this team.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Oh my, Leafs scored, and Auston Amtthews along with the entire Sportsnet panel relieved themselves.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
They sure do. At least the online contingent. Not sure why there isn't more concern over Fiala who was awful and botching all the play. Remembering Fiala is first unit PP, gets all the primo minutes and a lot of topsix toi.

For all the PLD hate he was EV in the series and often playing with bottomsix players. He isn't getting the Villardi type treatment in Winnipeg topline, top PP, despite being a better player, but he will when Kopitar fades out. Its a longterm. Not gonna judge it in year one. Kings fans shouldn't either but they like carving up their players.

In this game and series when they were paired PLD fed Fiala in the slot 5X. No goals. The favor wasn't returned once. Fialas brain everytime he has puck is to either make 3 more moves or shoot puck himself. Nobody else exists..;)
Maybe we can trade Campbell for PLD straight across.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
And that was my only chance to see them all season... 😭

Lousy result on the scoreboard, but just incredible to see where they've come since then.

Just reminded me
Couple years ago my boss gave me his tickets to Buffalo game. We got smoked so bad so early that it looked like most fans were trying to see that basketball game on tvs in the suites!

Still great experience though.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dont think we got all the calls, I dont think anybody gets all the calls (though the aves are close)

But I do think we came out on top overall when it comes to officiating, which is a phenomenal and unique occurrence for this team.
We came out on top of the officiating because we’re the more skilled team and we weren’t as physical as them, when you’re running around trying to hit everything like them, you’re more likely to take more penalties.

Oilers also ignored the scrums so they couldn’t get goaded into penalties

Reactions: ManofSteel55

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
We came out on top of the officiating because we’re the more skilled team and we weren’t as physical as them, when you’re running around trying to hit everything like them, you’re more likely to take more penalties.

Oilers also ignored the scrums so they couldn’t get goaded into penalties

I don't think they ignored them as much as just allowed the Kings to get tilted without taking a penalty. Usually they'd wait until a King threw the first punch. Kinda took a page out of Kane/Marchand/Tkachuk's books, just chirped them with hands at the side and waited for LA to lose their shit.

Maybe we can trade Campbell for PLD straight across.

Sure.

As long as we then flip him for a top 4 RD and a few prospects/picks. Hell yeah brother.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bunch of thoughts on this series:

Defensive play - The way we played Game 4 and finished Game 5 is a template for championship lock down hockey. It will be much more of a challenge against the Avalanche or Stars if we get there, but we have a playbook that we can lean on that we can call up when necessary. I just can't conceive a scenario where we didn't find a way to f*** up at least one of Game 4 or 5 under Woodcroft. Team is much better prepared, and have much better tactical tools in their arsenal that they can actually execute on now.

Officiating - I'll echo what a few people are saying about the officiating. First time in years that the stripes weren't a factor against us in a series. Let's hope it continues.

5v5 scoring - couldn't possibly be less concerned. When you're establishing multi goal leads on the back of an automatic power play there is no need to open yourself up to risk, especially when the pop gun offence the Kings have is almost guaranteed to not produce anything if you sit back and manage the game the right way. I think our approach will change depending on opponent.

Special Teams - I had concerns going into the playoffs, but I was wrong. Knoblauch had back pocket adjustments ready to deploy and I think our power play has reach even a new high bar that we haven't seen before. The penalty kill is obviously elite as well.

Goaltending - That's all we need from Skinner (other than Game 2). Just steady, timely goaltending.

Rob Blake - Thank you for attempting to beat us by trading two players that actually gave us problems (Vilardi and Iafallo) for Pierre Luc Dubois, who absolutely f***ing sucks. Also thank you for thinning out your defense (trading Durzi) and not addressing goaltending to open up the cap room to make that signing a reality. Almost every Cup winner has a short series along the way, thank you Rob Blake for facilitating this reality.
Kris Knoblauch was my #1 difference maker. What poise behind the bench.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
He made the statement even before series started or after game 1. In and around there. He's not saying it after the fact, he already knew. Very respectful of our club jsut like Sutter was. They know a good thing when they see it. he talked at length about how much the Oilers have matured as a group and now look ready.

Always appreciated Doughty and Sutter being candid about us and also that the Flames are shit. Sutters view on his own flames while he was coaching them was some of the funniest shit ever emanating from Calgary since harvey the hound lost his tongue.

Reporter. "Coach Sutter, what do you think about comparisons of this Flames team to your LA Kings teams"

Sutter: "There is no comparison, none, Thats a ridiculous question. Next question"

lol
Sutter's interviews were very entertaining.

This is how it looked. Leon was just incredible.

Oh oh, look where Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is on that list. This can't be accurate.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I hate to pile on Woody but he was vastly out-coached against Vegas...which bled into the beginning of the season (that led to his demise)

Knoblauch is a straight shooter that doesn't play games nor does he think he's the smartest guy in the room...I look forward to seeing how he manages his bench in Round 2
Vegas deprived Woody of his honor.

Sutter's interviews were very entertaining.

Oh oh, look where Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is on that list. This can't be accurate.
Yes, thanks to Sutter, we know that Huberdeau was doing it before Auston Matthews made it fashionable.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad