Most overrated player in the NHL?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I agree, that's what and where Toronto f***ed up. Nylander and Marner are two good players who have been living off of Matthews since 2016. Matthews needs to leave if he wants to win because those two are not it. Additionally, Tavares, but that's not as bad considering its a UFA which is rare.
Nylander is the best playoff player on the Leafs IMO. He's a great player and can actually step up.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Marner doesn’t show up at all beyond game 5. His stats are atrocious. He racks up points in meaningless
They’d only be meaningless if Nylander would rack points in the first 4 games, which he has failed to do.

Laughable to try paint this picture of Nylander being this Playoffs warrior and Marner going missing when he outproduces him in playoffs all the time.

It’s either that neither of them are playoff players or both of them are…

Reactions: Oak

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The votes for Quinn Hughes are silly. It wasn't until this season where Hughes was even talked about in the same breath as Makar. Canuck fans knew how good Hughes was but even with strong stats he still wasn't considered a Norris caliber defenseman among the league last year. He was and this year IMO is the leader for the Norris this season. Makar is also legendary so it could go either way. Coffey vs Bourque all over again. A pleasure to watch as a hockey fan.
Hronek was the overrated one. You see Hronek with and without Hughes and the proof is in the pudding. Hughes drags him around by the hair.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They’d only be meaningless if Nylander would rack points in the first 4 games, which he has failed to do.

Laughable to try paint this picture of Nylander being this Playoffs warrior and Marner going missing when he outproduces him in playoffs all the time.

It’s either that neither of them are playoff players or both of them are…
Nylander is a much better playoff player. Not only is he a far more consistent player, he actually scores goals. He scores at a rate of about 28 over 82 in the playoffs whereas Marner scores at 16. That’s pathetic for a superstar player who’s making 11 mil a year.

Even when Nylander doesn’t score he at least shows up. Marner not only doesn’t score he has huge gaffes at key moments. He’s a terrible playoff player.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Nylander is a much better playoff player. Not only is he a far more consistent player, he actually scores goals. He scores at a rate of about 28 over 82 in the playoffs whereas Marner scores at 16. That’s pathetic for a superstar player who’s making 11 mil a year.

Even when Nylander doesn’t score he at least shows up. Marner not only doesn’t score he has huge gaffes at key moments. He’s a terrible playoff player.
He is not, they’re both bad but one produces at a high-level and the other doesn’t. Also one of them is a pure playmaker while other isn’t, that’s like saying Ovechkin is the better playoff performer because he has more goals than Crosby in 29 less games…

Describing Nylander as consistant and player who shows up is legit hilarious, the amount of bias to come in to that conclusion is quite wild.

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
What kind of weird-ass take is that, in what world isn't he built for the regular season ? He was PPG last season, nearly PPG this season, on top of being a premier PF. As for the playoffs, it's not like he doesn't try, but he ain't alone on that team.

Not a Sens fan, but I know I'd take him anytime on my Habs.
Just a leaf fan that knows what it takes in a player to be successful in the playoffs, see Marner and Matthews
What kind of weird-ass take is that, in what world isn't he built for the regular season ? He was PPG last season, nearly PPG this season, on top of being a premier PF. As for the playoffs, it's not like he doesn't try, but he ain't alone on that team.

Not a Sens fan, but I know I'd take him anytime on my Habs.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
People think that for someone to be overrated they have to be a bad player that people think is good. That is not the case, good players and even great players can be overrated, case in point Auston Matthews.

Matthews is an elite goal scorer, best goal scorer in the game, but yet he is incredibly overrated. The Leafs have a 39-15-2 record when Matthews is OUT of the lineup, that's not good for his 'impact' on the team, Matthews scores at a 72 points per 82 game pace in the playoffs, not terrible, but not worthy of being placed in the same tier of players as McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov etc..

The best players in the game, elevate their play when the games matter most, for 8 seasons Matthews has proven to NOT be that guy, I'm not saying he never will, he may figure it out much like a player like Datsuyk was criticized early in his career for not being a playoff performer until he figured it out, but until Matthews does that, he does not deserve to be in the conversation with the best players in the game.

That's the definition of overrated.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He is not, they’re both bad but one produces at a high-level and the other doesn’t. Also one of them is a pure playmaker while other isn’t, that’s like saying Ovechkin is the better playoff performer because he has more goals than Crosby in 29 less games…

Describing Nylander as consistant and player who shows up is legit hilarious, the amount of bias to come in to that conclusion is quite wild.
Why would I be biased for a player on a team that I don't cheer for? I live in the GTA and watch almost all of their playoff games. I've already shown you that Marner doesn't f***ing score. I told you he also doesn't show up as the series goes on. Here's his numbers in the playoffs broken down by game:

Mitch Marner playoff metrics coming into this season:

Game 1: 4G 5A in 8 games
Game 2: 4G 7A in 8 games
Game 3: 0G 8A in 8 games
Game 4: 0G 9A in 7 games
Game 5: 0G 4A in 7 games
Game 6: 1G 1A in 6 games
Game 7: 0G 2A in 4 games

That is atrocious. Not only does he not score goals, he doesn't show up at all later in the series. And as I've told you, he's consistently on the ice for game winning goals against. He's a God awful playoff player. 6 goals in his last 34 games (including this past one) is an embarrassment.

Nylander may have fewer points but he doesn't get near the heat from Leaf fans. Why? Because he consistently puts in effort and can actually score goals.

Last edited:

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
When I said Matthews 2 seasons ago I almost got crucified by the leafs brigade. I'm glad the hfboards consensus has finally caught up.

Matthew most overrated in the modern era AINEC.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Sid lol. Media loves saying horseshit like "it doesn't feel right that Crosby isn't in playoffs for two seasons". Go drink outta your baby bottle. When pens were multiple games out " he doesn't deserve this wahh waah, it's his birthright, waah waah". Settle down clowns most stroked player of last 20 years.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Sid lol. Media loves saying horseshit like "it doesn't feel right that Crosby isn't in playoffs for two seasons". Go drink outta your baby bottle. When pens were multiple games out " he doesn't deserve this wahh waah, it's his birthright, waah waah". Settle down clowns most stroked player of last 20 years.

True, but its the NHL's fault. They choose players to be untouchable. As long as said players say the right things, shut up, don't cause controversies, go with the program then they keep feeding them to the media.

McDavid, prime example of a player that doesn't give no more. He's barely mentioned.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Marner. Dude is a loser when it counts the most

I almost feel bad, but he seems to have the maturity of an egg, so.. meh.

Weird one, but- Owen Power is both overrated and yet gets too much attention. Look, I’m doing it now. But he’s, what, 21? Dmen take awhile, give it time, but due to being #1 he gets attention, and under awful coaching hasn’t looked great. Far from the most overrated, though, just defending him against.. myself. Theoretical haters.

Also, I can’t really judge Matthews based off these playoffs. Bummer. How the f*** do you get food poisoning now, of all times? Poor playoff performance, actually. Cook your chicken.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
I almost feel bad, but he seems to have the maturity of an egg, so.. meh.

Weird one, but- Owen Power is both overrated and yet gets too much attention. Look, I’m doing it now. But he’s, what, 21? Dmen take awhile, give it time, but due to being #1 he gets attention, and under awful coaching hasn’t looked great. Far from the most overrated, though, just defending him against.. myself. Theoretical haters.

Also, I can’t really judge Matthews based off these playoffs. Bummer. How the f*** do you get food poisoning now, of all times? Poor playoff performance, actually. Cook your chicken.
I understand you can't control when you get sick but maybe take it easy on food when you're in the playoffs? Eat things that you know, don't eat all kinds of shit. I have no clue what he did but man, use your head Matthews

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I understand you can't control when you get sick but maybe take it easy on food when you're in the playoffs? Eat things that you know, don't eat all kinds of shit. I have no clue what he did but man, use your head Matthews

Haha idk if we can really assume it’s his fault, but it’s so much funnier if we do, so.. ya, let’s go with that.

“One scoop of cookie dough after a tough loss, you earned it Auston.”

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don’t understand how people like Marner and Matthews, who HFboards consistently complains about, can be considered overrated?

I’m not the biggest Marner fan, but no one is overrating him. Everyone knows he isn’t out there elevating his play in the playoffs.

Matthews, maybe I can see the point? But if he’s not top 3, he’s certainly top 5. How a top 5 player can be overrated doesn’t make any sense to me

HFboards has polls where people are saying svechnikov is better than Marner and they’d rather have Stutzle over matthews

How can that possibly be seen as overrated? Lmfao

All of the arguments I am reading about Matthews and Marner should really be applied to Connor hellebyuck. I think he’s proven to be the most overrated player in the NHL

But no one knows f*** all or cares about Winnipeg, this is an embarassing playoff performance for a superstar

IMG_3537.jpeg

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Matthews, maybe I can see the point? But if he’s not top 3, he’s certainly top 5. How a top 5 player can be overrated doesn’t make any sense to me

I mean (and this isn't specific to Matthews) it seems pretty obvious that a "top 5 player can be overrated" if he's not actually a top 5 player?

Like if I said "Jesper Boqvist is certainly top 5", for instance.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Still Fleury. The only way this guy should get into the HOF is if he bough a ticket. But that cheeky smile and being around for so long has fooled people into thinking he is some elite goaltender who should be 1st ballot HOF!

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I mean (and this isn't specific to Matthews) it seems pretty obvious that a "top 5 player can be overrated" if he's not actually a top 5 player?

Like if I said "Jesper Boqvist is certainly top 5", for instance.

Who actually objectively can say he’s not, though?

You have a poll on this board of people taking Stutzle over Matthews. It’s actually embarassing for this entire board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad