Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Mitchell

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I'm going with Lysell, tons of talent and had a full year in the AHL to acclimate himself to the rigors of the NHL. His skill will be difficult for the Bruins to ignore.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I voted poitras. I think they want one of their centre prospects to take the next step. Probably more likely merkelov.
Mitchell probably makes the team too unless lohrei looks really good at camp. Can’t wait to watch the prospects play in the preseason.
Lysell could make the team as well. I really like his skating and speed. He might be hard to cut.

Would be interesting to see who makes this team.

Reactions: neelynugs

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Ideally, I would like Merkulov, Lysell, Lohrei, and Poitras to be in the starting line up and start cycling in players from Providence to see who can be part of the next core of young players the team can build around. Since that's not the approach Burnsy and Smithers up at the top want Sweeney and Neely to do, the next best thing would be for at least Merkulov and Lohrei to make the team. The Russian looks poised to be a talented center for this team in the long term and Lohrei is a big body, physical d man that the Black and Gold brigade have need for a long, long time ever since McQuaid and Seidenberg fell by the wayside due to injuries.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
None of the guys on this list will be in the line-up opening night.

Mitchell will be on the roster but he'll be the 7th D to start.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Chaisson ends up with the 13th F spot over Greer who may be redundant right now with Lucic coming in. But he (Chaisson) won't dress opening night either.

Yep, exactly. Sweeney very rarely picks kids out of camp. Not sure why people still expect it to be honest. Perhaps he will change tack this year but nothing about the current state of the roster, the hires he made in the offseason, or the nature of the contracts he's given to the vets suggests that will be the case. There are no Carlos banging the door down. There's young talent, to be sure, but nobody that's quite demanding a spot just yet.

Most of the guys already know where they stand, even if they're towards the bottom of the main roster. Look at Frederic last year - he spent most of the pre-season looking like he was still taking a nap on a warm summer afternoon. Turns out his spot was already assured. I enjoy seeing how the youngsters go in camp and especially in the games. Great time of year. But I'm realistic - in the end at least 95% of the eventual opening roster will look exactly as you would have expected, and older guys on one-ways will trump the kids the vast majority of the time. The Bruins keep things pretty stable and consistent.

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Yep, exactly. Sweeney very rarely picks kids out of camp. Not sure why people still expect it to be honest. Perhaps he will change tack this year but nothing about the current state of the roster, the hires he made in the offseason, or the nature of the contracts he's given to the vets suggests that will be the case. There are no Carlos banging the door down. There's young talent, to be sure, but nobody that's quite demanding a spot just yet.

Most of the guys already know where they stand, even if they're towards the bottom of the main roster. Look at Frederic last year - he spent most of the pre-season looking like he was still taking a nap on a warm summer afternoon. Turns out his spot was already assured. I enjoy seeing how the youngsters go in camp and especially in the games. Great time of year. But I'm realistic - in the end at least 95% of the eventual opening roster will look exactly as you would have expected, and older guys on one-ways will trump the kids the vast majority of the time. The Bruins keep things pretty stable and consistent.
Well the thread title and the poll title are different. I find the thread title more interesting. Who is most likely to surprise. I’m not expecting a surprise and I think most know the deal so I’m not sure what that bolded refers to. It’s fun to have a conversation even if Sweeney isn’t likely to agree with our early anticipation. I suppose we could talk about 2015 instead.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well the thread title and the poll title are different. I find the thread title more interesting. Who is most likely to surprise. I’m not expecting a surprise and I think most know the deal so I’m not sure what that bolded refers to. It’s fun to have a conversation even if Sweeney isn’t likely to agree with our early anticipation. I suppose we could talk about 2015 instead.

I'm not against speculation, nor do I mean to belittle anybody. People can discuss whatever they like. And I think you're right, most of us know, or at least we think we know, how it goes. But I also think there are some who still genuinely believe there will be a bolter or two from camp. And perhaps they will be right. But I just can't see it.

Never mind me and my cynicism though. Let the debate continue.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I'm not against speculation, nor do I mean to belittle anybody. People can discuss whatever they like. And I think you're right, most of us know, or at least we think we know, how it goes. But I also think there are some who still genuinely believe there will be a bolter or two from camp. And perhaps they will be right. But I just can't see it.

Fair enough. I think we are on the same page here.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

How soon people forget that Jakob Lauko made the team last year. Pretty sure he wasn’t in any projected rosters.

Reactions: Kegs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I will say that it's not just the Bruins who operate this way. A lot of teams now pretty much know who is breaking camp before the calendar turns to September. You are starting to see more and more exhibition games using the projected full roster and sooner than ever. One time it would basically be the last game where you'd see the full line-up. Now it's a few games in. I think that there is a valid argument now to reduce the exhibition pre-season schedule if the games aren't being used for young guys and bubble guys to make statements. But the owners love that extra revenue.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How soon people forget that Jakob Lauko made the team last year. Pretty sure he wasn’t in any projected rosters.

There was also an open roster spot with Marchand being injured at the time.

Lauko basically beat out Oskar Steen (who had a one-way contract) for job.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There was also an open roster spot with Marchand being injured at the time.

Lauko basically beat out Oskar Steen (who had a one-way contract) for job.
Even still no one had him when we knew the roster spot was open. Certainly not in August.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

For the most part I don't really do projected rosters as such, but Lauko making the cut was no surprise to me. Was it meant to be? Perhaps he wasn't expected, but he didn't shock either. And last year the Bruins had an extra spot available as has already been noted.

I didn't say that prospects never make it from camp, just that it's rare. I don't see much room for any this year in the opening roster. However I really, sincerely hope that a couple of the youngsters are given solid opportunities in Boston by Christmas, if not sooner. The team needs it. But that's where my expectations on that front predominantly lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't really do projected rosters as such, but Lauko making the cut was no surprise to me. Was it meant to be? Perhaps he wasn't expected, but he didn't shock either. And last year the Bruins had an extra spot available as has already been noted.

I didn't say that prospects never make it from camp, just that it's rare. I don't see much room for any this year. I really, sincerely hope that a couple of the youngsters are given solid opportunities in Boston by Christmas, if not sooner. The team needs it. But that's where my expectations on that front predominantly lie.
Lauko was a shock even on cutdown day. Everyone expected McLaughlin. If you go back to this time last year - and all through camp - you won't find him on virtually any rosters at all (myself included - this isn't me trying to back pat). Literally no one had Lauko in August. Again, this is including the "extra spot" as we knew it was there this time last year.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Lauko was a shock even on cutdown day. Everyone expected McLaughlin. If you go back to this time last year - and all through camp - you won't find him on virtually any rosters at all (myself included - this isn't me trying to back pat). Literally no one had Lauko in August. Again, this is including the "extra spot" as we knew it was there this time last year.

Agreed, McLaughlin was the favorite. I just don't think Lauko completely came from nowhere. However if the point is that a strong pre-season can get a guy over the line who perhaps otherwise wasn't expected, then yes I do think it's still possible and that's one example. It's just not common. And where it does happen it's probably actually more likely to be a 4th line grinder type who's seen as dependable rather than someone who has more talent but isn't yet fully seasoned and rounded.

Anyway, this is one of those 'happy to be proved wrong' things. I'm in favor of blooding more youth. Even though I'm not confident, let's see it.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Ya. I figure if lysell, lohrei or merkelov make the team it won’t be that surprising.

Poitras would be a surprise.

For 1 he played only 23 games.

2nd he absolutely was on projected rosters.
Last year no one had Lauko making it. This year he be will play all the games imo.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Ideally, I would like Merkulov, Lysell, Lohrei, and Poitras to be in the starting line up and start cycling in players from Providence to see who can be part of the next core of young players the team can build around. Since that's not the approach Burnsy and Smithers up at the top want Sweeney and Neely to do, the next best thing would be for at least Merkulov and Lohrei to make the team. The Russian looks poised to be a talented center for this team in the long term and Lohrei is a big body, physical d man that the Black and Gold brigade have need for a long, long time ever since McQuaid and Seidenberg fell by the wayside due to injuries.
Lohrei is not physical, he is an offensive D in a big body.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Lohrei is not physical, he is an offensive D in a big body.

I stand corrected. Let me adjust what I said then. I hope Lohrei can become more well rounded as a big body defensemen that can become a physical force and not be a one dimensional turnstile.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I stand corrected. Let me adjust what I said then. I hope Lohrei can become more well rounded as a big body defensemen that can become a physical force and not be a one dimensional turnstile.
I didn't say that he was but he is in no way McQuaid or Seidenberg. He was a forward until he was 16, he really is still learning defense and a full year in Providence with McQuaid coaching him would help immensely. I think his high end is a 35-40 point top 4 D but he will never be a banger. Pairing him with a Trouba-lite would be a great combination in a year or two. That may well be Mast or Edward.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Even though he isn't physical (yet) it will be nice to have a defenseman who knows where the other team's net is for a change. None of the established D-men on this team have any offensive acumen IMO.
Yeah Hampus may as well be Hall Gill amirite?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad