Grzelcyk
Carlo
Forbort
Shattenkirk
Zboril (13th)

Goaltender
Ullmark
Swayman

Who has a chance to steal a spot from one of these guys (2 choices).

*I'm not including Greer and Zboril in the poll, as I don't consider that a surprise.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Merkulov is my top choice. Richards the kid from the Canadiens organization is my next favorite. Though I really haven’t read as much about the d. I do like a lot of what I read on Mitchell.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I voted Beecher and Chaisson. I think Beecher is in a head to head with Brown and may even have the inside track. Chaisson is a capable player that depending where his game is could have a very good showing at TC.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Defense seems pretty set to me so I wouldn't expect any surprises unless we have multiple injuries.

For F, I could see either Merkulov or Beecher taking a spot if they outplay Brown or Boqvist in training camp.
Merkulov yes, Beecher? No. What has he done in the AHL that shows he's achieved the level of being too good for that league? I'd give McLaughlin a better shot of making the team than Beecher.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Merkulov yes, Beecher? No. What has he done in the AHL that shows he's achieved the level of being too good for that league? I'd give McLaughlin a better shot of making the team than Beecher.

Beecher is a Sean Kuraly type. Kuraly was never too good for the AHL. They are fourth liners that are on the roster for their unique combo of size and speed.

Merkulov doesn't make the roster unless he fills a skill role. That is a harder hill to climb.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Beecher wins faceoffs and is a strong defender and can PK. Seems right for that 4th line role. Not saying McLaughlin won’t beat him out though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Beecher wins faceoffs and is a strong defender and can PK. Seems right for that 4th line role. Not saying McLaughlin won’t beat him out though.
Patrick Brown was 52.5% in the NHL last year on faceoffs. What was Beecher in the AHL? Brown played on the PK for 2 NHL teams last year

Brown makes 800k. Beecher makes 925k.

If all you want is someone to win faceoffs and PK, then it's going to be the guy they specifically signed to do that role. Beecher can stay in the AHL and hopefully move up to 2nd line there this year. For years we've been told Beecher is actually good offensively, but he's just stuck behind elite players. Well, let him play in PRO on the 2nd line and show what offense he has. He can always be called up later.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Patrick Brown was 52.5% in the NHL last year on faceoffs. What was Beecher in the AHL? Brown played on the PK for 2 NHL teams last year

Brown makes 800k. Beecher makes 925k.

If all you want is someone to win faceoffs and PK, then it's going to be the guy they specifically signed to do that role. Beecher can stay in the AHL and hopefully move up to 2nd line there this year. For years we've been told Beecher is actually good offensively, but he's just stuck behind elite players. Well, let him play in PRO on the 2nd line and show what offense he has. He can always be called up later.
Patrick Brown is 31 years old. He has played 138 games in the NHL over 9 season, an average of less than 15 games per season. By contrast, he has played 403 games in the AHL. I don't think he can be called a full time NHL player. I think Bruins mgmt is hoping he gets beat.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud and Kegs

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Beecher is a Sean Kuraly type. Kuraly was never too good for the AHL. They are fourth liners that are on the roster for their unique combo of size and speed.

Merkulov doesn't make the roster unless he fills a skill role. That is a harder hill to climb.

True but kuraly was fairly more productive in the AHL his one year than Beecher was. Kuraly had a .48ppg and beecher was .37ppg in his first year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
None of the guys on this list will be in the line-up opening night.

Mitchell will be on the roster but he'll be the 7th D to start.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Chaisson ends up with the 13th F spot over Greer who may be redundant right now with Lucic coming in. But he (Chaisson) won't dress opening night either.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think they'll be a few guys that surprise, but idk if they any make the opening night roster. Sweeney Co has always taken advantage of sending guys down that don't require waivers and the Bruins like to let guys marinade in the AHL. From the list above I'd say Chiasson. Could come in, have a good camp, work well on PP2 as the net front guy and earn a bottom 6 role.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think Toporowski will be most deserving but they have depth at LW and he is better served playing top 6 minutes in Providence. Voted Beecher as I see him between Lucic and Lauko, two very fast players with a slow Lucic, each would off set the others limitations.

Brown as 13th because he is physical and can win faceoffs.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Patrick Brown is 31 years old. He has played 138 games in the NHL over 9 season, an average of less than 15 games per season. By contrast, he has played 403 games in the AHL. I don't think he can be called a full time NHL player. I think Bruins mgmt is hoping he gets beat.
They signed Brown on the very 1st day of free agency, which meant they were planning on it well before then.

He makes less than Merkulov or Beecher, and any money they can start to bank can be spent later on.

Beecher has not shown he's a "good" AHL player yet. His year as a whole was "meh" with "bad" at the beginning of the year and "ok" at the end of the year.

The team has a history of signing vets for bottom of the roster players and giving them the first crack. Brown is going to be on this roster. Maybe he'll suck, and maybe Beecher will be great in October in the AHL.

Cool. You can adjust then. But I don't think the plan is to start Beecher or Lohrei in the NHL.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
To be honest I don't see what any of the prospects have done to make anyone think they are ready for the NHL. I think they could all use at least 1/2 season in the AHL.

I think they start the season with the vets and then if anyone takes the big step in the AHL or a spot becomes available due to injuries then we'll see them .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad