Speculation: Most likely departures in the summer?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't think Gardiner is leaving unless we're getting a more stable Gardiner-like player back. If you guys listen to any/all Loiselle/Poulin//Nonis interviews, they flat out stress how it is important to have players grow up together and learn and develop that seamless connection.

I think they are going to do the 11F, 7D next year [that's personally what I'd do] and start pairing up the the Leaflings of how ideally you want to see it working out. [so that means Percy/Granberg/Macwilliam (choose one or two), and we grit it out.

I think the draft weekend is what will set up everything. Reimer is clearly going , and I hope Franson is right behind him.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Gunnarson: isn't going anywhere. Signed for a reasonable rate and fills the type of role we need more of.

Reimer: Gone. Rift with coaching staff. Will be to expensive for a backup and Nonis will that money for elsewhere on the roster.

Franson: Hopefully gone. Gardiner and Rielly can assume more PP minutes. Franson stinks at everything except the PP. Hopefully a stabilizing vet D like Mitchell, Robidas, Salo are signed in his place because it would make our defensive ability much improved and buy prospects like Percy, Finn a bit more time.

Raymond: transition winger who's soft on a team with too many players of that ilk. Won't be worth the dollar he'll be able command.

Bolland and Kulemin: Hard to say but both I'd welcome back but am not willing to overpay because Bernier and Kadri deals the following off-season are more important.

Lupul: only moved for a significant piece like a # 2 dman or # 2 center. Likely here to stay.

McClement: probably brought back but I'd go no longer then 2 years. No hands and is at the age where a lot of players decline quickly and if he declines much more he's an AHLer.

Clarkson: still scratching my head about that signing. Probably stuck with.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Out: Reimer + Gardiner + Franson (+ maybe Lupul if we can get good replacement)
In: back up goalie + defense who can win board battles.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kadri & Gardiner for Jordan Staal & Ward book it. Reimer to Philly for 2nd.

Carolina better retain a crap load of salary to make that work. And J. Staal is (or was) highly overrated.

People complain about Kadri's production now, imagine with someone like Staal. Yeeeeesh.

Either way, I doubt Carolina does that.

Durkin67

Last summer we saw quite a few changes such as letting go of Mikhail Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur. Both played relatively significant roles in providing secondary scoring but their time in Toronto was obviously done after the playoffs. It seemed like Nonis was trying to tweak with the team but also needed the cap space.

Given how this team has played this season and the salary cap heading into next season, which of these non-UFA players do you see as likely being on their way out of town?

James Reimer (RFA, ~$2M)
Carl Gunnarsson (2 x $3.15M)
Cody Franson (RFA, ~$3M)
Jake Gardiner (RFA, ~$2M)

The blue line needs a significant overhaul in personnel and I think it will come down to moving at least one of Gunnarsson or Franson. Gardiner is a luxury to have with his age and upside but if it means moving him in a package for a significant upgrade at another position, it's something that must be done. James Reimer is clearly not thrilled with his situation and will move on as long as Bernier is our #1 goaltender.

I think these are four realistic possibilities of being moved.

I think Gardiner is showing that he can be effective if, like Phaneuf, paired with a stay at home D. realistic departures for me include Reimer to WPG, Kulemin to PITT and Bolland to VAN.

Durkin67

imo Reimer, Franson and possibly 1 of Bolland/Kulemin will be gone (Raymond will be gone too)

I can see Raymond slotting in where Lupes currently is playing with 19 heading to the western conference

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
no point in upgrading the D by trading off some of our promising guys if. If the team doesn't adopt defensive responsibilities, there no D will change our fortunes.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd say Reimer Raymond and Franson are gone.

Reimer-won't want to come back
Franson-will be dealt
Raymond-Will price himself out of the market.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Franson and reimer

^^^ most likely

Kadri & Gardiner for Jordan Staal & Ward book it. Reimer to Philly for 2nd.

how does toronto add over $12 million in cap space. staals contract is pretty bad as well, he has like 10 years left at $6 million. personally, id rather keep kadri over him. also, why would we want ward? $6 million + for 2 more season to be our backup = CRAZY.

nonis might let reimer walk just to get rid of the headache but imo there is ZERO market for him. ZERO.

franson will just price himself out of our budget. i suspect he is going to want $4+ million. there is no way we can pay him that much to play on our bottom pairing.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Gardiner won't leave, his play is proving why. I think Reimer will be gone, even though that would be a pretty dumb thing to do. If Bernier goes down, as we have seen, we need a capable back-up goalie to keep us in the race.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
nonis might let reimer walk just to get rid of the headache but imo there is ZERO market for him. ZERO.
Zero is pretty low.
I think alot of team will want him as a backup option, probably for a short term deal.

franson will just price himself out of our budget. i suspect he is going to want $4+ million. there is no way we can pay him that much to play on our bottom pairing.
Franson wants a 200% increase ?
Really ?

Franson
2013-14: 2nd in NHL hits (233)
Leads Maple Leafs in hits, is 2nd in TOI per game (tie-20:56)

Certainly logging alot of minutes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471742&view=stats

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Zero is pretty low.
I think alot of team will want him as a backup option, probably for a short term deal.

Franson wants a 200% increase ?
Really ?

Franson
2013-14: 2nd in NHL hits (233)
Leads Maple Leafs in hits, is 2nd in TOI per game (tie-20:56)

Certainly logging alot of minutes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471742&view=stats

Franson will get $4m+ in arbitration... and unless we're able to find a better partner for Gardiner, we're going to have to pay it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad