Speculation: Most likely departures in the summer?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Last summer we saw quite a few changes such as letting go of Mikhail Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur. Both played relatively significant roles in providing secondary scoring but their time in Toronto was obviously done after the playoffs. It seemed like Nonis was trying to tweak with the team but also needed the cap space.

Given how this team has played this season and the salary cap heading into next season, which of these non-UFA players do you see as likely being on their way out of town?

James Reimer (RFA, ~$2M)
Carl Gunnarsson (2 x $3.15M)
Cody Franson (RFA, ~$3M)
Jake Gardiner (RFA, ~$2M)

The blue line needs a significant overhaul in personnel and I think it will come down to moving at least one of Gunnarsson or Franson. Gardiner is a luxury to have with his age and upside but if it means moving him in a package for a significant upgrade at another position, it's something that must be done. James Reimer is clearly not thrilled with his situation and will move on as long as Bernier is our #1 goaltender.

I think these are four realistic possibilities of being moved.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I´m guessing Reimer wants a shot at becoming a starter and I also guess the Leafs would prefer to have a seasoned veteran as back up so if both parties are interested in a move, a move is very likely. I like Reimer and dont blame the recent loses on him even do he let in a couple of softies.

Gunnarsson I think will be kept and hopefully resigned next season. Our most solid defenseman. Not a top pairing d-man even do he gets the job done. Keeping Gunnarsson and also Kulemin is a must. Solid defensively, smart, cool and make few mistakes.

Franson, he can be traded. I am pretty sure both Gardiner and Rielly are more then ready to eat his PP time. He makes to many mistakes and dont have the foot speed to recover from his mistakes.

Gardiner is a must keep player. So much talent and he is starting to look both stronger and more solid.

Oh, and I would trade Phaneuf at the draft.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I´m guessing Reimer wants a shot at becoming a starter and I also guess the Leafs would prefer to have a seasoned veteran as back up so if both parties are interested in a move, a move is very likely. I like Reimer and dont blame the recent loses on him even do he let in a couple of softies.

Gunnarsson I think will be kept and hopefully resigned next season. Our most solid defenseman. Not a top pairing d-man even do he gets the job done. Keeping Gunnarsson and also Kulemin is a must. Solid defensively, smart, cool and make few mistakes.

Franson, he can be traded. I am pretty sure both Gardiner and Rielly are more then ready to eat his PP time. He makes to many mistakes and dont have the foot speed to recover from his mistakes.

Gardiner is a must keep player. So much talent and he is starting to look both stronger and more solid.

Oh, and I would trade Phaneuf at the draft.

huh? Gunner is already signed for 2 more seasons.

Nonis is going to have to be very conservative this off season

the tanking of the Canadian dollar will drag down those project caps for the next 2 season in a large and shocking way.

the projected 71.1m cap is now realistically looking like the cap for the 2015/16 season and not the 2014/15 season, a 68m cap is looking very real.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gardiner and Reimer. McKenzie, Kyper and most insiders think they will both be gone. Kadri seems to be 50/50, which I ****ing hope is not true.

People don't realise that Franson is not likely to be going anywhere. Randy loves him and he's a RHD we need. Some may not like it but I think he'll be back. Hopefully with less miutes he'll bounce back.

Gunnarsson is not going anywhere either. That guy has been our best defender lately and he's a great top 4 defensive defenseman, which we desperately need.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Gardiner and Reimer. McKenzie, Kyper and most insiders think they will both be gone. Kadri seems to be 50/50, which I ****ing hope is not true.

People don't realise that Franson is not likely to be going anywhere. Randy loves him and he's a RHD we need. Some may not like it but I think he'll be back. Hopefully with less miutes he'll bounce back.

Gunnarsson is not going anywhere either. That guy has been our best defender lately and he's a great top 4 defensive defenseman, which we desperately need.

the leafs are going to need gards/kads cheaper contracts next year

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Reimer will go, most likely at draft time, probably for a 2nd rounder and a middling prospect.

Raymond's not going to be resigned.

I hope Franson's rights are traded, he's basically a lesser talented version of Phaneuf, just as slow and mistake-prone, and I'd like to see either a solid stay at home d-man brought in or one of the Marlies brought up (Percy, Holzer)

I have a feeling Bolland won't be back, or if he is, it will be on a short term deal.

I would like to see Dr. Carlyle fired, but that isn't going to happen any time soon sadly which means we're stuck with the talentless turd twosome of FML and orr

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I dont believe Gardiner Phaneuf or Reilly get traded. They are your untouchables on defence. If something great comes along for Gardiner in a larger trade then he is the only one that gets moved but only if the price is right. Lately his stock has risen.

Reimer will get moved theres no question about it. Others that wont be here are Raymond, Kulemin, Lupul, Franson. These guys wont be resigned or traded.

New pieces on the backend will be brought in. If Franson is traded Gardiner definitely stays. If Franson stays Gardiner will be traded. They are redundant. But I would rather keep Gardiner.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
Last summer we saw quite a few changes such as letting go of Mikhail Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur. Both played relatively significant roles in providing secondary scoring but their time in Toronto was obviously done after the playoffs. It seemed like Nonis was trying to tweak with the team but also needed the cap space.

Given how this team has played this season and the salary cap heading into next season, which of these non-UFA players do you see as likely being on their way out of town?

James Reimer (RFA, ~$2M)
Carl Gunnarsson (2 x $3.15M)
Cody Franson (RFA, ~$3M)
Jake Gardiner (RFA, ~$2M)

The blue line needs a significant overhaul in personnel and I think it will come down to moving at least one of Gunnarsson or Franson. Gardiner is a luxury to have with his age and upside but if it means moving him in a package for a significant upgrade at another position, it's something that must be done. James Reimer is clearly not thrilled with his situation and will move on as long as Bernier is our #1 goaltender.

I think these are four realistic possibilities of being moved.

Reimer ( will request trade)

Bolland (to expensive to re-sign)

Franson (we have too many offensive only D and too slow)

Lupul (too defensively irresponsible and good trade bait to a team looking for a player who thrives in a less defensive role)

I see us making a deal at the draft for Ryan O'Reilly + late 1st for Lupul and Franson. Then we swap both of our 1sts + Prospect to Buffalo for Tyler Myers.

JVR Bozak Kessel
O'Reilly Kadri Kulemin
Leivo Holland Clarkson

Phaneuf Myers
Rielly Gleason
Gunnarsson Gardiner

Trade Reimer to Vancouver for 2015 2nd + 2014 3rd.

Sign Brodeur as backup mentor.

Fire Carlyle. Hire Laviolette.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why is Gunnarson in this poll? He only makes 3M per where Gleason makes 4M. Who gets tougher mins, who is a better D man? Gunnar sure is not getting much respect around here of late. Who needs a smart, high IQ Defensive D man that plays hard every game anyway on the 26th GA team in the NHL.

We need more Jake Gardiner's that is what this team needs...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
the leafs are going to need gards/kads cheaper contracts next year

I think the point is to upgrade on him with a more reliable defender defensively, while promoting perhaps a younger/cheaper player to take on bottom pairing minutes.

Gardiner won't be so cheap after an extension.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think the point is to upgrade on him with a more reliable defender defensively, while promoting perhaps a younger/cheaper player to take on bottom pairing minutes.

Gardiner won't be so cheap after an extension.

I see your point.

but if we are to look at a dollar in and out

2.5/2.9m does not buy much these days.

this CAD tanking along with now what is believed to be a 71.1m cap PR stunt , a 68m cap is looking very probable, that's a meager 3.7m cap bump , pretty much Kes/Dion raises.

if 2015/16 cap is only going to hit 71m thanks to the CAD then we are looking at issues with berny/kadri raises.

berny/kad will likely total 5 million in raises.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Kadri, Gardiner, and Lupul are going to be trade bait this year. Reimer is all but gone too.

One of our prospects on the farm may be sweetners too. Think this team is definitely going to upgrade our D in the offseason.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
As awesome as he's been and as much as he's still my favorite Leaf, I really do believe that Kulemin is gone in the off-season.

But then again, I pretty much had money on him being gone at the deadline so I hope Nonis proves me wrong again!

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I'd like to see Lupul, Reimer, Franson, Orr and McLaren gone. That's 5 "roster" players. I also doubt Raymond resigns due to cap and salary demands.

Who I'd like to see upgraded/indifferent if they were to leave: Kadri, McClement, Gunnar.

ForSpareParts*

I voted Reims for the obvious reason, but most 2 of these players will be moved. I really hope some of our Marlies D-men get a shot at the big leagues.

Good thread here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As awesome as he's been and as much as he's still my favorite Leaf, I really do believe that Kulemin is gone in the off-season.

But then again, I pretty much had money on him being gone at the deadline so I hope Nonis proves me wrong again!

I like Kule, but he is a hard signing. He's a 3rd liner, a good one. But he may want to be paid like a 2nd liner. He doesn't have the scoring touch of a top 6'er. Would be a mistake on Clarkson proportions if we did that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Gunnarsson being on here makes absolutely no sense. He & Phaneuf have been basically the only good thing on our blueline this year; and there's no sense in breaking that up.

Reimer will be gone. It's obvious that he hasn't taken well to a backup role, and will pursue an opportunity to win a starters job elsewhere.

From there, I think it's a toss up between Franson & Gardiner as to who the Leafs keep and who the Leafs use to upgrade. Obviously, I'd prefer to keep Gardiner as he will be cheaper and he's more valuable.

Realistically, it will depend on who's available. If we can get a big stay-at-home guy who plays on the right side, Franson is the easy choice to be gone. If we're looking at a guy like Andrew MacDonald, we may need Franson.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Reimer and Franson will be moved. That's it, unless Nonis gets a 'knock your socks off' offer for anyone else!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I like Kule, but he is a hard signing. He's a 3rd liner, a good one. But he may want to be paid like a 2nd liner. He doesn't have the scoring touch of a top 6'er. Would be a mistake on Clarkson proportions if we did that.

Kule can play both 2nd and 3rd line with out any problems. I think Kulemin is exactly the type of veteran forwards we should move forward with. No drama, no mistakes, just good hockey game after game.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I dont believe Gardiner Phaneuf or Reilly get traded. They are your untouchables on defence. If something great comes along for Gardiner in a larger trade then he is the only one that gets moved but only if the price is right. Lately his stock has risen.

Reimer will get moved theres no question about it. Others that wont be here are Raymond, Kulemin, Lupul, Franson. These guys wont be resigned or traded.

New pieces on the backend will be brought in. If Franson is traded Gardiner definitely stays. If Franson stays Gardiner will be traded. They are redundant. But I would rather keep Gardiner.

Anyone is "toucahble" in a deal that improves the team.

Realistically... the "untouchables" on our blueline are Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Rielly & Gleason. Phaneuf because he's our captain (and been a stablizing force on the blueline), Gunnarsson because he & Phanuef have been so good defensively this year, Rielly because he's super cheap, can play on our bottom pair, and has a great draft pedigree, and Gleason, because realistically, nobody wants him anyways.

It's our 2nd pair that needs a substantial upgrade, which means both Gardiner & Franson have to be put out there for the right piece.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kule can play both 2nd and 3rd line with out any problems. I think Kulemin is exactly the type of veteran forwards we should move forward with. No drama, no mistakes, just good hockey game after game.

13 goal average last 2 seasons, I think we need better 2 way players in the top 6. Kulemin is a good 1 and a half player, if he only had a scoring touch. I would pay him top 6 money. But for now, he is a 3rd line cap hit.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Reimer and Franson are both virtually guaranteed to be moved in the summer - don't think there's a way back for either of them.

I think Raymond joins them, unless he has reasonable cap demands - I think the organization (correctly) values Kulie far more than Raymond, and it's sort of become a one-or-the-other decision now.

I don't think Lupul is going anywhere; you move Lupul, and you move away a huge chunk of your secondary scoring, even if he isn't producing currently - the Leafs need this guy to form some sort of functional unit with Kadri, especially with Clarkson out to lunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad