Speculation: Most interesting off season teams to watch.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd say my Oil are in for an interesting off season...

Holland done?
Campbell bought out?
If we lose and if the problem is that we only have 3 top 4d then will they actually do something about it or are we pretending that VD and Ceci are going to win us a cup playing in top 4?(I have no issue with them on bottom pair)
Foegele gone?
Holloway and Bro full time?
Rodrigue and Skinner time?

Note that some of the things above I am all for and some I am very much against.

For other teams.. really curious what LV does as they will be over the cap and need to make way for Hertl and hanifin contracts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Markstrom is gone either way. Mangipane, Backlund, Kuzmenko, and Sharangovich could all be moved if the value is there as well.
They aren't going to outright tank no matter how much a certain subsection of our fanbase wants it. Markstrom may go, but it's far from a guarantee. We may move one winger, because we have too many, but there is zero chance all of them are moved, especially Backlund. The others may go at the deadline.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
If Toronto has a first round exit, I am curious to see what they do with the core. They also have a ton of cap space despite what people think of their cap situation.
Agree, they have a shit load of money coming off the books this and next season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agree, they have a shit load of money coming off the books this and next season
Yes. but they also have a shit load of bodies to replace. $20 million goes fast when you have 7-9 bodies to replace.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I want to see if Detroit overhauls their awful defense. Can't see that being too easy with bad contracts on the books with Petry, Chiarot, Walman, Olli Maata and Justin Holl all have more years after this season ends.

Only Gostisbehere is a UFA and Seider is a RFA.

What a mess. Yzerman is dealing from a position of weakness here. Pretty much every one of those 5 guys above is negative value.

If you are not a playoff team and you're paying teams to take bad contacts off your hands, you made some roster mistakes as the GM.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
For hockey future site with so many armchair GMs CHI would be very interesting team to watch.

Hall and Murphy healthy, another bluechip top pick and 30+ million in cap space gives them so many possibilities.

I'd say my Oil are in for an interesting off season...

Holland done?
Campbell bought out?
If we lose and if the problem is that we only have 3 top 4d then will they actually do something about it or are we pretending that VD and Ceci are going to win us a cup playing in top 4?(I have no issue with them on bottom pair)
Foegele gone?
Holloway and Bro full time?
Rodrigue and Skinner time?

Note that some of the things above I am all for and some I am very much against.

For other teams.. really curious what LV does as they will be over the cap and need to make way for Hertl and hanifin contracts.
None of this spells interesting to me even as an Oilers fan.

Reactions: Murzu

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I want to see if Detroit overhauls their awful defense. Can't see that being too easy with bad contracts on the books with Petry, Chiarot, Walman, Olli Maata and Justin Holl all have more years after this season ends.

Only Gostisbehere is a UFA and Seider is a RFA.

What a mess. Yzerman is dealing from a position of weakness here. Pretty much every one of those 5 guys above is negative value.

If you are not a playoff team and you're paying teams to take bad contacts off your hands, you made some roster mistakes as the GM.
Detroit posters assure me that Yzerman is a genius and that the D will be amazing very soon.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi and Blueston

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
With the big club:

Matheson
Xhekaj
Struble
Harris
Guhle
Savard
Kovacevic

In Laval next season:

Mailloux
Trudeau
Barron
Huston
Reinbacher
Engstrom
+ All the regulars currently on the team like Bisson, Keeper, etc.

Something has to give. We could theoretically keep all of these guys but we also want to develop them properly and give them the right amount of ice time

I can see Harris and Kovacevik being moved in the summer. Maybe as package deals because I don't think we're getting fair value for Harris if it's a 1 for 1.

I wonder, with injuries and such is the need to move anyone pressing? Savard gone at the deadline, potentially another one.

Is Engstrom signing this year?

I mean, if we get solid value for guys like Harris, Kovacevic, I totally agree with you.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ottawa will be interesting because they need to shake it up, and i think everyone will be waiting and nothing will materialize.

Their contract are most likely untradeable or at least minimal return (Norris, Chabot, Korpisalo), mean too much to the team (Zub, Stutzle, Sanderson and Tkachuk), or just plain good value (Batherson, Pinto) or want to stay with a NMC (Giroulx). And with a crap prospect pipeline, drafting ~10th overall and losing a future #1 pick its not like they can trade futures.

I know they have to do something, but what ..... Dumping Brannstrom or Kubalik won't move a needle. That pretty much only leaves Chycrun and his value can at best be described as equal to his last trade, a 7th overall.

I just think they give this core one more chance before burning it to the ground.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Jets should hang on to Toffoli, as long as he doesn’t want to much. He fills a need and seems to fit.
As for Monahan, they should absolutely let him go. Jets need a proper 2C and that’s not Monahan… he might be ok short term, but long term…no. Chevy needs to fill that damn 2C hole properly once and for all.
I also think they should move some cap out, and that’s likely Iafallo and Schmidt

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I wonder, with injuries and such is the need to move anyone pressing? Savard gone at the deadline, potentially another one.

Is Engstrom signing this year?

I mean, if we get solid value for guys like Harris, Kovacevic, I totally agree with you.
I can't say for sure about Engstrom but consensus on the Habs board seems to think he is.

Even if you take into consideration injuries I have a hard time seeing Hugo keeping all these defenceman. Can't develop everybody simultaneously, they all need to play big minutes.

For that reason, Barron is another guy I can see Habs possibly trading this summer. Would be a waste to have him play 3rd pairing behind Reinbacher and Mailloux next year in Laval. Personally I'd like to move Harris and Kova just to make some room, so we can bring up Barron and see how the year goes. Let the other guys cook in Laval and call them up if/when injuries happen

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Tampa will definitely be one to watch. Do they let Stamkos walk and bring back Duclair or go after Hanifin if he makes it there? Do they sign Stamkos and try to move out a Cirelli or Paul at the draft to get back draft capitol or prospects? Maybe a guy like Cernak gets moved as a "Cap Casualty" due to his injury history

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
First off season under new management / ownership I think Ottawa is a no brainer, even if i am biased.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Vancouver, Florida, Carolina are my votes for most options on how to move forward.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lots of interesting story lines in Ottawa. Staios/Andlauer won't be happy with what they see.

He'll be likely looking to:

a) buy out Korpisalo

b) trade Chychrun

c) acquire a legit goaltender

d) acquire a top 4 right handed D

e) acquire a rugged, veteran winger

f) hire a coach

That's immediately a chock full off-season.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
This players is in rebuilding in NYR:

Brodzinski
Chytil
Cuylle
Goodrow
Kakko
Kreider
Lafreniere
Panarin
Rempe
Roslovic
Trocheck
Vesey
Wennberg
Trade Zibanejad/Wheeler for Crosby.

Fox
Gustafsson
Jones
Ruhwedel
Schneider
Trouba
2 Draft defenseman.
We trade Miller/Lindgren for picks.

Quick - retired
Shesterkin
Domingue
1 Draft goalie.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
This players is in rebuilding in NYR:

Brodzinski
Chytil
Cuylle
Goodrow
Kakko
Kreider
Lafreniere
Panarin
Rempe
Roslovic
Trocheck
Vesey
Wennberg
Trade Zibanejad/Wheeler for Crosby.

Fox
Gustafsson
Jones
Ruhwedel
Schneider
Trouba
2 Draft defenseman.
We trade Miller/Lindgren for picks.

Quick - retired
Shesterkin
Domingue
1 Draft goalie.
Why would Pitt do that deal?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ottawa for me. I sincerely saw em as a playoff team like a wild card. Not a lotto team. Interesting to see what they do.

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
A sale of the franchise to a capable ownership group intent on keeping the Sabres in the WNY region for years to come is the only interesting thing I can think of. Otherwise, it's an offseason filled with zero expectations and morose speculation of our future.

The Pegula era must come to a conclusion. Pretty please??????

Reactions: Blueston and BFLO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad