Speculation: Most interesting off season teams to watch.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I have no idea what to expect from Calgary. If they give the reigns to Wolf and trade Markstrom they'll have a ton of cap space.

Like 25M and need to sign Kylington and likely a middle pairing defense. That's pretty much all they need to re-sign. Looking at contracts, add to that Montreal could end up with our first and the team isn't set up to tank for the next two years. They'll lose more value through age and losing a first than they'll gain on a top 5-10 pick.

I could see them going for Tavares or something. If they're out early again that's totally a Treliving move. NMC clause but if they want him out could waive it and where else would he even go? Nashville maybe

Reactions: Czechboy

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I could see them going for Tavares or something. If they're out early again that's totally a Treliving move. NMC clause but if they want him out could waive it and where else would he even go? Nashville maybe
Tavares isn't going anywhere... he came to Toronto to raise a family near his family, and his wife's family..., along with her career.

Pittsburgh is one of the bigger ones to me. They scream blow it up and rebuild, but I don't know if anyone has the stomach to do that, while Crosby is still wanting to be there.

Calgary has some pretty big decisions as well... which direction are they headed? Plenty of their top half of their roster is 30+, Markstrom is a question mark, and they have to rebuild the D.

Toronto is an interesting one... if they fail in the first round again, what are the consequences? Front office blow up? What changes would a new regime make? Very talented players, who seem to lack the ability to compete when it counts the most.

Arizona is interesting to me as well. Twenty picks in the first three rounds, over the next three years... I can see them trading up, or trading for some more developed young players. Too many picks to sign in the future.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I have no idea what to expect from Calgary. If they give the reigns to Wolf and trade Markstrom they'll have a ton of cap space.

Like 25M and need to sign Kylington and likely a middle pairing defense. That's pretty much all they need to re-sign. Looking at contracts, add to that Montreal could end up with our first and the team isn't set up to tank for the next two years. They'll lose more value through age and losing a first than they'll gain on a top 5-10 pick.

Tavares Isn't going anywhere, chances are he finishes his career as a Leaf, MAYBE if they suck in 5 years he spends his last year somewhere else but as long as they are good he's staying.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Buffalo and Ottawa both should be active and have pieces to move, Arizona has the assets and cap space and could always do something but who knows with their overall instability. Tampa I feel like will have some roster reconstruction, feels like Hanifin is still their's and I still don't see Stamkos walking

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If Toronto has a first round exit, I am curious to see what they do with the core. They also have a ton of cap space despite what people think of their cap situation.
I think they wait for the Tavares deal to expire and then use his 11M to address the roster holes, we're just going to have to ride it out, 1 more year of JT. It's not going to be worth it to move one of the big 3 forwards.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If any of the teams who think they are contenders fall early in the playoffs, it could be interesting to see how they respond. I'm talking about teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Toronto - teams with superstar players - two of those teams with superstars who haven't hoisted a cup yet and might be seeing their chance to win slip away if they don't do so soon.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Montreal will be interesting as well, lots of picks that can be traded away and over 20+ million on the cap to play with. I expect KH to be aggressive this summer

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Tavares isn't going anywhere... he came to Toronto to raise a family near his family, and his wife's family..., along with her career.

Pittsburgh is one of the bigger ones to me. They scream blow it up and rebuild, but I don't know if anyone has the stomach to do that, while Crosby is still wanting to be there.

Calgary has some pretty big decisions as well... which direction are they headed? Plenty of their top half of their roster is 30+, Markstrom is a question mark, and they have to rebuild the D.

Toronto is an interesting one... if they fail in the first round again, what are the consequences? Front office blow up? What changes would a new regime make? Very talented players, who seem to lack the ability to compete when it counts the most.

Arizona is interesting to me as well. Twenty picks in the first three rounds, over the next three years... I can see them trading up, or trading for some more developed young players. Too many picks to sign in the future.

Tavares is 100% the choice to move if you blow up. Like ya he could block everything if he doesn't want to move but that just seems awkward. That was just my first thought to what Calgary could go for to fill in the 1C spot. Sharangovich is great but Kadri being our 1C is clearly the biggest hole. Not to concerned with finding a good 2nd pairing defender.

Calgary isn't blowing it up. Treliving throwing those stupid conditions on the Monahan 1st ensured that. Tanking without your 2026 first makes no sense. Gotta go for it with Kadri and Backlund only having a few years left before they inevitably fall off a cliff.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tavares is 100% the choice to move if you blow up. Like ya he could block everything if he doesn't want to move but that just seems awkward. That was just my first thought to what Calgary could go for to fill in the 1C spot. Sharangovich is great but Kadri being our 1C is clearly the biggest hole. Not to concerned with finding a good 2nd pairing defender.

Calgary isn't blowing it up. Treliving throwing those stupid conditions on the Monahan 1st ensured that. Tanking without your 2026 first makes no sense. Gotta go for it with Kadri and Backlund only having a few years left before they inevitably fall off a cliff.
Tavares might be the choice... but it just won't happen and he'd block. I'd suggest he'll resign after this contract runs out, somewhere in the $3-4 mil range.

I can appreciate your comments on Calgary, but I still think it will be an interesting offseason... what does Markstrom want to do, and how to they retool with what they have.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If Toronto fails in round 1, or even round 1 or even round 2 again I think big changes are coming but not to the core, I just don't think they are going to do that I think they already would have, Dubas got fired the second he even THOUGHT about shaking up the core.

Keefe gets fired.

Mike Sullivan gets hired after he's fired from Pittsburgh because I do believe he's getting fired.

Keefe gets hired by Pittsburgh.

The defense gets completely overhauled.

The Leafs bring in a more established goalie because they have no choice regardless of how you feel about Woll he's the only one under contract they HAVE to bring in a goalie.

One of Domi or Bertuzzi are kept Reilly Smith replaces the other one.

Marner is signed.

The likes of Kampf and Jarnkrok are potentially traded because Treliving didn't bring them in so no loyalty exists.

I think big changes are coming but not changes to the core, I think they already would have done that if they were going to do it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The goalie Market is arguably overflowing

Ullmark
Gibson
Markstrom
Saros
Merzlinks
Binnington?
Jarry?
Vejmelka?
Kempeur?

Teams like

Colorado,
La,

Toronto because Toronto only has 1 goalie under contract next year so they have to bring in at least one goalie,

NJ Although they made a move already, although I find it hard to believe Jake Allen is truly their guy.
I think you're overstating the goalie market.

Gibson has been available for how long now? For the last 5 years he's either declined or remained stagnant.

Merzlikins has a terrible contract where being available may not make a difference.

Not sure why Binnington or Jarry are even listed

Kuemper looks like he's on the downswing, he hasn't been very good since leaving Colorado and has lots of term left.

Vejmelka, the shine has worn off. He's young enough a team might take a chance but I don't see it being a team that fancies themselves a contender.

So let's be honest here, the goalie market is really Ullmark, Saros and Markstrom, LA, Toronto, New Jersey, Colorado and Carolina have all be involved in goalie talks. So we have more suitors than good options right off the bat. Also, what about teams that may want to move on from their current poor contract between the pipes? Will Staios try to upgrade Korpisalo on Ottawa? Will the Coyotes try and upgrade Vejmelka? Will Detroit try to upgrade?

he market may be overflowing with cap dumps and mediocre goaltending, but it is not overflowing in quality goalies.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Tavares might be the choice... but it just won't happen and he'd block. I'd suggest he'll resign after this contract runs out, somewhere in the $3-4 mil range.

I can appreciate your comments on Calgary, but I still think it will be an interesting offseason... what does Markstrom want to do, and how to they retool with what they have.

That seems a very optimistic view of Tavares. Essentially just assuming he'll stay forever at a discount. But ya I don't know.

Calgary just needs a center that can carry a line and help on the powerplay. Kadri and Backlund can carry a lot of the load. Just need someone to make that third line a constant threat. Cap space is a non-issue, they have loads of it. Someone aging or overpaid makes the most sense.

With Huberdeau actually looking like he's good at hockey again makes next year much more wide open. Just get a center and have a mediocre powerplay.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hopefully Ottawa trades some big pieces. I would try to move Chabot, Batherson, Norris, and Chychrun

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think you're overstating the goalie market.

Gibson has been available for how long now? For the last 5 years he's either declined or remained stagnant.

Merzlikins has a terrible contract where being available may not make a difference.

Not sure why Binnington or Jarry are even listed

Kuemper looks like he's on the downswing, he hasn't been very good since leaving Colorado and has lots of term left.

Vejmelka, the shine has worn off. He's young enough a team might take a chance but I don't see it being a team that fancies themselves a contender.

So let's be honest here, the goalie market is really Ullmark, Saros and Markstrom, LA, Toronto, New Jersey, Colorado and Carolina have all be involved in goalie talks. So we have more suitors than good options right off the bat. Also, what about teams that may want to move on from their current poor contract between the pipes? Will Staios try to upgrade Korpisalo on Ottawa? Will the Coyotes try and upgrade Vejmelka? Will Detroit try to upgrade?

he market may be overflowing with cap dumps and mediocre goaltending, but it is not overflowing in quality goalies.

Binnington is listed because Joel Hofer is younger, putting up very good numbers and the Blues are probably headed for a rebuild.

Jarry is listed because regardless of what Pittsburgh wants they are headed for a rebuild, maybe not right away because they probably won't be able to afford to suck in 2025 because that pick looks to be SJ bound, but regardless the rebuild IS coming.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If any of the teams who think they are contenders fall early in the playoffs, it could be interesting to see how they respond. I'm talking about teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Toronto - teams with superstar players - two of those teams with superstars who haven't hoisted a cup yet and might be seeing their chance to win slip away if they don't do so soon.
Especially since Edmonton is rumbled to be starting negotiations on a Draisaitl extension July 1.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Binnington is listed because Joel Hofer is younger, putting up very good numbers and the Blues are probably headed for a rebuild.

Jarry is listed because regardless of what Pittsburgh wants they are headed for a rebuild, maybe not right away because they probably won't be able to afford to suck in 2025 because that pick looks to be SJ bound, but regardless the rebuild IS coming.
The Blues aren't going all-in on Hofer after 25 good games. So Jarry by your own admission seems unlikely to go this season because they have no reason to intentionally shit the bed.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Blues aren't going all-in on Hofer after 25 good games. So Jarry by your own admission seems unlikely to go this season because they have no reason to intentionally shit the bed.

Jarry might be a year away but regardless I think he hits the market if not now then in the near future I don't think he finishes that contract in Pittsburgh

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
So let's be honest here, the goalie market is really Ullmark, Saros and Markstrom, LA, Toronto, New Jersey, Colorado and Carolina have all be involved in goalie talks.
Carolina, for better or worse, has their expected goalie trio for next year signed in Freddie Andersen, Piotr Kochetkov, and Spence Martin.

They are almost certainly not in the goalie market unless something unexpected happens, like Andersen's DVTs coming back and he retires.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Swayman about to get a big pay day, so I'm interested to see if teams can sniff out Boston's desperation to trade Ullmark.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If Toronto fails in round 1, or even round 1 or even round 2 again I think big changes are coming but not to the core, I just don't think they are going to do that I think they already would have, Dubas got fired the second he even THOUGHT about shaking up the core.

Keefe gets fired.

Mike Sullivan gets hired after he's fired from Pittsburgh because I do believe he's getting fired.

Keefe gets hired by Pittsburgh.

The defense gets completely overhauled.

The Leafs bring in a more established goalie because they have no choice regardless of how you feel about Woll he's the only one under contract they HAVE to bring in a goalie.

One of Domi or Bertuzzi are kept Reilly Smith replaces the other one.

Marner is signed.

The likes of Kampf and Jarnkrok are potentially traded because Treliving didn't bring them in so no loyalty exists.

I think big changes are coming but not changes to the core, I think they already would have done that if they were going to do it.
funny-jokes.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Pittsburgh will stay in a position of mediocrity this offseason with continued decline. They have an aging roster, awful prospect pool and a long road ahead of them to get back to relevence after years of dominating. Of course that only means they end up with the 10th pick going into the lottery and win 1OA. That is if it isn't Chicago again.

But seriously, I am interested to see what their off season looks like. I would add the Capitals to that as well. They appear in line for a re-build and having those two powers on the downslide with long rebuilds (likely) makes for an interesting Metro.
Just imagine they trade Crosby,Malkin,Carlson,Letang and Jarry? How many First round picks and very good prospects they would receive.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
CLB...GM search probably leading to a coaching search then figuring out who to keep, trade, draft or jettison. Throw in the need for a new trajectory and team think. Will ownership allow someone total control (experienced GM) or another ventriloquist dummy (noob) on JDs lap?...

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
With all of the goalies available, I predict a lot of disappointment in the returns for pretty much all of them.

I hope the Rangers finally buy out Goodrow, open up a spot for Edstrom full time

Would like to see them move on from Trouba and Lindgren, both are warriors, but I think we would be a better team with defenders more mobile with better puck moving ability.

Between the three of them, that is close to 14-15 million tjat we can use on improving the team.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad