Most Disappointing/Impressive player

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Vats has just looked out of place.

Rakell, Kesler, Getz, Silf, Cogs have looked good.

But Ive been most suprised by Ritchie. I think we are going to see him become a consistant physical force over the next month. He just seems to be so close to being a stud.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Vats has just looked out of place.

Rakell, Kesler, Getz, Silf, Cogs have looked good.

But Ive been most suprised by Ritchie. I think we are going to see him become a consistant physical force over the next month. He just seems to be so close to being a stud.
Does he? I don't think you're alone in thinking that. Maybe I haven't been watching the games closely enough, but I feel like I only rarely notice Ritchie. I notice him in a good way when I notice him, though. But not often enough where I'm like, "this guy is close to breaking through." More often I tell myself he probably needs another year in San Diego.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Does he? I don't think you're alone in thinking that. Maybe I haven't been watching the games closely enough, but I feel like I only rarely notice Ritchie. I notice him in a good way when I notice him, though. But not often enough where I'm like, "this guy is close to breaking through." More often I tell myself he probably needs another year in San Diego.
I think hes just more into the play then he was last season, and hes a physical presence.. and getting shots/opportunity's, he isn't scoring as much as id like but he looks much more confident then he did last season and much better shape.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Ritchie does look more involved near the puck and is physical. Goes to the boards, wins some battles. Ends up with a few chances.

I kind of think "Penner who hits."

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I think we have a few disappointing players through the first 16 games, which is part of the reason we are still floating around .500

Perry is on pace for 20 goals, and shooting at about 8%, which is well below his career shooting % of around 13%. Not sure what to make of this since his point totals are leading the team, but he definitely should have found the net a few more times. I don't this his play has been poor, but his low shooting % is disappointing and needs to correct itself if he has a shot at 30-35 goals again this season, which we absolutely need from him.

Vatanen is on pace for 5 goals (was scoring at a 10 goal pace last season, and a 15 goal pace the year before), so instead of taking a step forward and producing more with his big shot, he seems to be producing fewer goals.

During Garbutt's time with us last season (37 games) he produced at a pace that would have totaled 11 goals, 17 points over an 82 game season. He has one goal and one assist through 16 games. I'm willing to cut him some slack since he's only been playing about 9 minutes a night at even strength, but I was still hoping for a 20 point season from him as a depth forward who moves up and down the lineup. He had 67 points in 178 games with Dallas so the talent is there.

As for the players exceeding my expectations - Fowler looks to have hit another level and has been one of, if not our best, player so far. Vermette is also off to a great start. I knew he was a great faceoff guy but underestimated how dominant he is at the dot, and he is on pace to chip in about 40 points as a third line C/LW which is pretty solid

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
My vote goes to Fowler. Impressive in that he has worked to improve his game, especially offensively, and is not just having a good start, putting out more effort on the ice, or has been a surprise.

Spending the time in the off-season getting better is more impressive to me. And it has paid off.

Disappointing, like everyone else, is Vatanen... unless it gets him traded and solves our forward and expansion problems.

John

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
In keeping with the OP's question, the simple answer is Fowler impresses and Vats has been a bit of a letdown. My full breakdown:

Most impressive in general: Fowler and Cogs. They're both treats to watch this season.

Most impressive relative to my expectations: Vermette, Bernier, and Cramarossa.

HM's: Getzlaf and Manson. I was worried that Getz would get off to another sluggish start, but so far he's been close to mid-season form right out of the gate. And I think Manson looks to have taken a slight step forward this season. He appears less... frantic (?) to me. Not sure what it is, but he seems to be in better position or something more often.

Disappointed with: Vats (though I feel he'll pick it up at some point), and as always... Murray, just for good measure.

On the fence: Gibson (not that he's been bad, but he hasn't impressed me the way I had hoped. I get a Hiller vibe tbh), Ritchie (he's much improved over last season, and I love the physical play, but he needs to show some hands soon, too many good opportunities wasted for my liking), and Garbutt (not that I expect a ton from the Butt, but he's impressed me far less that last season and needs to stay out of the box unless it's for being overly physical).

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
In keeping with the OP's question, the simple answer is Fowler impresses and Vats has been a bit of a letdown. My full breakdown:

Most impressive in general: Fowler and Cogs. They're both treats to watch this season.

Most impressive relative to my expectations: Vermette, Bernier, and Cramarossa.

HM's: Getzlaf and Manson. I was worried that Getz would get off to another sluggish start, but so far he's been close to mid-season form right out of the gate. And I think Manson looks to have taken a slight step forward this season. He appears less... frantic (?) to me. Not sure what it is, but he seems to be in better position or something more often.

Disappointed with: Vats (though I feel he'll pick it up at some point), and as always... Murray, just for good measure.

On the fence: Gibson (not that he's been bad, but he hasn't impressed me the way I had hoped. I get a Hiller vibe tbh), Ritchie (he's much improved over last season, and I love the physical play, but he needs to show some hands soon, too many good opportunities wasted for my liking), and Garbutt (not that I expect a ton from the Butt, but he's impressed me far less that last season and needs to stay out of the box unless it's for being overly physical).

Ritchie is putting it together. He had a really nice goal last game and is consistently getting chances. I think people forget he's not even able to buy beer yet. He's going to get better and the goal last night was a really nice shot. He's had some good opportunities and has been getting into position. With the jump he made this year regarding speed and being engaged in the play, he should only continue to get better every season. If he was 23, I would get the hesitation some are showing, but he's done enough to believe he'll turn into a solid NHLer if nothing else. I think it's reasonable to believe he'll turn into a solid top 6 option form the beginning of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: