Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's why I'm all for having a draft here once TN square is done, but zero interest in an ASG. Don't have the eye of the hockey world here in the middle of winter :laugh:
Oh easily.
But just wondering, and I have zero clue on this, is there enough capacity to make it work logistically here? Thinking of all the prospects, families, league officials, team reps, media etc. I'd think that'd there'd be a minimum quality hoteling needed.

Reactions: MardyBum

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Oh easily.
But just wondering, and I have zero clue on this, is there enough capacity to make it work logistically here? Thinking of all the prospects, families, league officials, team reps, media etc. I'd think that'd there'd be a minimum quality hoteling needed.
TN Square would ensure sufficient hotel space.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
TN Square would ensure sufficient hotel space.
ok good to know.
apparently vancouver needed to show that they were able to reserve up to 6000 hotel rooms for a few days in the area in 2019. so was just wondering on that from WPG.

TN would have to contract the mitary to ensure all those peoples safety downtown.

Perhaps they can even stay for Canada Day festivities at The Knives Forks

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
it
ok good to know.
apparently vancouver needed to show that they were able to reserve up to 6000 hotel rooms for a few days in the area in 2019. so was just wondering on that from WPG.

Perhaps they can even stay for Canada Day festivities at The Knives Forks

They essentially need the 5 star hotel to go up I TNS. They have everything else now to host a draft now that the convention center has been expanded.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They need more than the re-start of that one hotel beside the convention centre to ensure adequate hotel space. Even once that is restarted (either this year or next year), I think there will still need to be additional 4*+ hotel rooms built to accommodate the draft.

Not all the hotels need to be right by the convention center. There are plenty at the airport now and throughout the city.

Reactions: Peachkings1922

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No, that's not what I am saying. The city needs more 4* hotels, regardless of where they are located, to host the draft. Plenty of those by the airport are 3 star.

I don't think the majority of parents and kids attending will be in four star hotels. Team execs, agents and other VPs sure but for the vast majority normal hotels will be sufficient.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think the majority of parents and kids attending will be in four star hotels. Team execs, agents and other VPs sure but for the vast majority normal hotels will be sufficient.
Agreed most of these kids are from middle class families that have travelled around with them in a wide range of accommodations. A 3 star hotel 15 minutes from the arena would work just fine.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No, that's not what I am saying. The city needs more 4* hotels, regardless of where they are located, to host the draft. Plenty of those by the airport are 3 star.
Yeah idk if there's specific hotel requirements.

Vancouver had to show they could block off upto 6000 ppl for the 2019 draft.

~4000 actually came.

But 0 on the min. quality

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yeah idk if there's specific hotel requirements.

Vancouver had to show they could block off upto 6000 ppl for the 2019 draft.

~4000 actually came.

But 0 on the min. quality
I’m sure Tourism Winnipeg is bugging True North every year about this. I’ve worked with them to host national and international amateur sports events in Winnipeg. The staff at TW would be very aware of the requirements needed as they are always trying to find big events to bring to the city. Doing a quick search there were no articles referencing this. So I’m sure it’s internal info that the NHL and the owners haven’t spoken publicly about. But tourism bureaus for sure would have access to find out what is needed.

The Jets (1.0) were scheduled to host a draft before the decision to move to Phx happened. Hosting one would kind of bring that full circle.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’m sure Tourism Winnipeg is bugging True North every year about this. I’ve worked with them to host national and international amateur sports events in Winnipeg. The staff at TW would be very aware of the requirements needed as they are always trying to find big events to bring to the city. Doing a quick search there were no articles referencing this. So I’m sure it’s internal info that the NHL and the owners haven’t spoken publicly about. But tourism bureaus for sure would have access to find out what is needed.

The Jets (1.0) were scheduled to host a draft before the decision to move to Phx happened. Hosting one would kind of bring that full circle.
might need to search harder ;)
Michelle Collens of Sport Hosting Vancouver, a city-managed facilitator of major events, said her group needed to show the NHL it could block between 5,000 and 6,000 rooms per night over a three-to-four-day period. That was to accommodate 1,400 staff members from the 31 teams, 150 NHL staffers, 2,300 family members and agents connected to draft-eligible players, plus media members and an expected influx of hockey tourists.

Tourism Vancouver is estimating a direct visitor count of about 4,000 people from the draft – up to 1,500 NHL and other hockey industry officials, combined with prospects and their families, related media covering the event and others

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
might need to search harder ;)

Was on my phone with a sick kid on my lap. If it didn’t pop up on the first page of my first search I wasn’t going to dig deeper.

Reactions: DRW204

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Great to see Josh on WST yesterday. It's rare to see a Jet player do an interview outside of obligatory pressers. As expected, they didn't dive into team politics etc, but he did still say more than I expected.

Reactions: hn777

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Morrissey personifies what TNSE envisioned in their D&D plan.

Drafted and developed by the club, took a bridge deal after his ELC to accommodate a tight cap, then signed an 8 year value deal that will keep him playing here for 13 years, ending in his early 30s.

Chevy supposedly drafts for brains and character, in addition to talent. Josh's work in the community is outstanding (just as an example: Meet A Dream Maker: Josh Morrissey — The Dream Factory ). Now that he is a clearly an upper-echelon player, he can slide in to the captaincy (or co-captaincy, as would be my preference) with legitimacy and help create a new culture.

Sometimes things work out just as planned--Josh is Exhibit A of that. Kudus to Chevy and the org for that.

The harder thing to do is to cut bait at the right time when players don't work out according to plan--which is inevitable. Chevy's final exam in bait-cutting is this off-season--let's see if he's learned his material yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad