Prospect Info: Morrissey & Petan named to Canadian selection camp roster

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Nurse should be on the team.

There were a lot of guys who weren't great during the Series but still got invites. I didn't think Petan was great but he still got an invite. You know why? Because he is having a fantastic season and has a skill set that no one else has. I could replace Petan with Nurse in the above and it would be true.

I can't argue with Sutter because his record is what it is but that omission is a big time head scratcher for me. A guy with all that talent,size,skill and having a great season gets cut because "he tried to do too much during a couple of games". That is just nonsense. If we lose they will moan about not having all the talent there but they go a cut a guy like that.

Hockey Canada has a long memory. I'm not sure of Nurse's history but I know one young local who did not get an invite this year even though he was probably good enough to be on the team. They don't easily forgive, unfortunately.

p.s. No way Petan gets cut. Sutter already knows that he does not have enough western canadian boys. 10 to 11 usually means a gold medal. Anything less than that makes it more 50/50. Western Canadians are like the Honey Badger. They don't get rattled no matter what.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Joe I went to the Oliers board to see how they reacted and the feedback was pretty balanced I pipelined this quote from one poster because I thought it was relevant to the topic:

:handclap: To anth93. Nurse does have a salivating set of tools. Just no head (ie box) for them. Nurse is so overrated. He'll be there next year though probably still as his tools will be so far ahead of other players when he's 19. At the next level? IDK.

Honestly, I am quite happy with the selections for Canada (except goalies). Really think it's a solid mix.

Oh and whoever called me out on Gauthier not too long ago, Sutter (one of the best junior coaches in the world) and Team Canada staff seems to think he is still alright, getting an invite over Max Domi. I was so glad Domi was selected before our pick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:handclap: To anth93. Nurse does have a salivating set of tools. Just no head (ie box) for them. Nurse is so overrated. He'll be there next year though probably still as his tools will be so far ahead of other players when he's 19. At the next level? IDK.

Honestly, I am quite happy with the selections for Canada (except goalies). Really think it's a solid mix.

Oh and whoever called me out on Gauthier not too long ago, Sutter (one of the best junior coaches in the world) and Team Canada staff seems to think he is still alright, getting an invite over Max Domi. I was so glad Domi was selected before our pick.

I am with you on Domi.....I have to admit I was getting caught up in the hype train especially after my first choice Ristolainen was taken by Buffalo. HOWEVER there have been a few concerning signs for me with Domi this season, it may be nothing but my spider senses are going off. On the flip side Morrissey has exceeded expectations at every opprotunity since the draft. I believe he has every bit as much talent as Domi if not more but his head seems like it is screwed on better. I could be off base but Josh feels like a the Type of guy we can build around on and off the ice and Max feels a bit flashy.

As Garth Brooks would say "Thank God for unanswered prayers" ;)

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
There's only going to be two forwards cut and there's worse offensive style forwards that are already on the roster. Personally I can't see him getting cut. Sutter has already stated he's looking at Drouin and Petan to be the offensive backbone to the team.

Yeah, I don't think people realize how good Petan is at this level. Watch him play. He is not a typical small forward.

Believe me I don't need to be sold on Petan, just think it might be one of those weird HC decisions. I'm usually wrong when it comes to these kind of predictions though, so that bodes well for his chances :laugh:.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Are you saying you don't believe Morrissey, Petan or both won't make the team?

Not trying to put words in Truck's mouth but I read that as, its not likely that Petan and Drouin get "put on the same line".

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Are you saying you don't believe Morrissey, Petan or both won't make the team?

I think he's just saying he'd like to see Petan and Drouin on the same line...:laugh:

Except it's not likely to happen because Sutter will likely be trying to balance the offense across lines.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think he's just saying he'd like to see Petan and Drouin on the same line...:laugh:

Except it's not likely to happen because Sutter will likely be trying to balance the offense across lines.

Would be fun to see though - they'd play quite the game of 'keep-away'. :nod:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It will be interesting to see where Petan gets slotted in. (assuming he makes it past the next cut, not trying to jinx it).

He's a natural centre on his junior team, but we had some comments here in a different thread about the possibility of him starting his NHL career someday on the wing (might be easier that way).

I wouldn't have a problem with him in either spot, but it would be interesting to see how he did on the wing just to see how he looks there.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
just watching WJC preview - apparently Sutter is pairing these 2 to start off camp

Forgot to record it.

Can someone summarize? Petan and Drouin together? Yes please. :nod:

I heard Button on the IC show on the radio last night. He really, really likes Morrissey, and thinks he will be an impact player in the tournament.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Very pumped to see Morrissey and Petan going to WJC camp. For both 18 y/o's to beat out other names like Nurse and Domi as well as numerous 19 y/o's is indicative of what an excellent draft the Jets had this past June. To be able to identify projectable talent is one thing. To be able to identify that in addition to the intangibles of a player that enables success even more impressive and to grab both these guys outside the top 10 (let alone Petan outside the top 30).

Stellar drafting this past season.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Very pumped to see Morrissey and Petan going to WJC camp. For both 18 y/o's to beat out other names like Nurse and Domi as well as numerous 19 y/o's is indicative of what an excellent draft the Jets had this past June. To be able to identify projectable talent is one thing. To be able to identify that in addition to the intangibles of a player that enables success even more impressive and to grab both these guys outside the top 10 (let alone Petan outside the top 30).

Stellar drafting this past season.

Yes, regardless of what happens this season, I can sit back and enjoy the path that we look to be on!

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Wait is Drouin - Petan - Mantha going to be a thing? Cause that'd be p amazing

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
just watching WJC preview - apparently Sutter is pairing these 2 to start off camp

Should be fun to watch.

Their head scout was on the Rona Round Table yesterday. He mentioned the Petan is the prototypical type of player he was targeting for the big ice. Made is sound like he is all but safe from cuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad