Morgan Rielly and the Power Play.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
eh, jake wasn't remotely this good 4yrs ago.

He can not stand the fact that he is wrong....Jake was no where near as good 4 years ago as Morgan is now, Citing plus minus as some kind of proof when he was playing shelter minutes under Carlyle and a healthy scratch as well...

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
To anyone watching, it's quite obvious how Rielly has improved. He has simplified his game. He's constantly looking for OPEN passing outlets. No forcing passes. If he's being forechecked hard, he bounces it off the boards to a winger to tip in dump. Don't think he has missed one this year even so far. He is using his edge work and skating to make space on the PP and in transition. And, as we saw tonight, his shot has good velocity and generates a lot of rebounds when it gets on net. He's got legitimate 60-65 point potential assuming he's one of the 2D on the PP at any given point (Liljegren and Rielly for the future sounds nice) along with top 4/top 2 usage minutes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Opposition posters are not going to like this. First we planned the SC parade and now we are going to start a "Rielly for the Norris" campaign :)

Good they have sucky teams comparably and their cities probably suck and are drug and crime infested scuzz.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean i love Mo and think he's hella underrated but i'm not surprised in the least that with him and jake completely swapping roles this year that Mo is getting praised and jake getting criticized.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I mean i love Mo and think he's hella underrated but i'm not surprised in the least that with him and jake completely swapping roles this year that Mo is getting praised and jake getting criticized.

Jake is a slow starter typically. Takes him about a month or so it seems to get his brain in the game each year. Main thing is we have two pairs looking pretty good. I think give Borgman some more time and we will be quite happy with him as well (I already am, but he can/will get even better imo).

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Rielly was and will continue to be this team's #1D. I think he is in discussion for the Norris this year. Finally getting the PP minutes and being used correctly by Babcock. Hainsey has also been a perfect partner for him. Really stabilizes that pairing.

Wait until Liljegren makes the team and is playing beside Rielly. Drool...

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Jake is a slow starter typically. Takes him about a month or so it seems to get his brain in the game each year. Main thing is we have two pairs looking pretty good. I think give Borgman some more time and we will be quite happy with him as well (I already am, but he can/will get even better imo).
Jake is always amazing in the second half of the season. That's when most of his production happens too. It's probably due to his ridiculous fitness....the rest of the league starts to hit that wall mid-way through the year meanwhile Jake is the energizer bunny who just keeps going. In the playoffs he played huge minutes and made it look easy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Rielly was and will continue to be this team's #1D. I think he is in discussion for the Norris this year. Finally getting the PP minutes and being used correctly by Babcock. Hainsey has also been a perfect partner for him. Really stabilizes that pairing.

Wait until Liljegren makes the team and is playing beside Rielly. Drool...

the thing is, so far this year Mo is being used as our #3 dman, which is why he's looking so great.

Jake was used as our #3 last year, and also looked great.

We have 3 very good #2 dmen here.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Yup, been saying the same thing for a year. Both Rielly and Jake are similar calibre players, good #2s that cannot carry a shutdown pair. Whichever gets the harder matchups will be exposed and whichever is put into a more offensive position will look solid. Luckily for us, having 3 #2s and a solid #4 in Hainsey has stabilized the D for the time being.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Wee bump here.

Since the playoffs last season, Morgan has 16 points in 20 games. Him and Jake appear to have swapped roles this season (to some degree), and Rielly seems to be gaining a little bit more confidence offensively. A lot of people shit on Morgan and no matter what he does and it always seems to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with him for some posters on here. Still needs to box out infront of the net a bit better, but hopefully he can keep producing from the backend and continue to show some progression.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't get the impression watching the games that Gardiner is being leaned on as heavily this year as Rielly was last. Feels more balanced between our top 2 pairs.

Regarding bump post... Reilly has been very good.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't get the impression watching the games that Gardiner is being leaned on as heavily this year as Rielly was last. Feels more balanced between our top 2 pairs.

Regarding bump post... Reilly has been very good.

Rielly's TOIQoC last year was 29.44. Gardiner's was 29.52 this season prior to the Rangers game, but has been dropping since that game due to his and the team's overall poor play.

Note that in just 4 games of weaker matchups Gardiner's TOIQOC has dropped 25 points to 29.27. It's still significantly more than last year when he only played 28.89% of his time against quality competition so he's made quite the leap, but hasn't handled it very well to this point.

Last edited:

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Rielly's been great so far this year, and I think he had potential to emerge as an average 1D if things go a certain way, but people saying he should be in the Norris conversation are utterly baked

Reactions: Kelly and 7even

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Rielly's TOIQoC last year was 29.44. Gardiner's was 29.52 this season prior to the Rangers game, but has been dropping since that game due to his and the team's overall poor play.

Note that in just 4 games of weaker matchups Gardiner's TOIQOC has dropped 25 points to 29.27. It's still significantly more than last year when he only played 28.89% of his time against quality competition so he's made quite the leap, but hasn't handled it very well to this point.
That's interesting. I've just seen Dellow's star percentage, and Gardiner and Rielly were pretty even this season, with Rielly topping the league more or less last year.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Gotta give credit where it's due, the kid has really turned it up a notch this season. I wasn't a fan of his shooting before this season but he's starting to gain that Keith-like ability of getting smart shots through to create scoring opportunities.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Happy that he has been working on it so they don't have to complain so much?
I think there is one or two that will still find ways to object.
Also according to manyvof them it's I'm possible for a players shot to get better hahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad