Recalled/Assigned: Morgan Barron

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kid needs to play

I thought he was excellent. Defensively, physically. Playing the system to a T. Threw a well timed hit after Jones got clocked. He needs to be in the lineup.
He had a nice accidental elbow to the chin of Ovie early in the game ...Ovie played it to the ref but never got the call. That started the ball rolling for us .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
One of the best games from him so far. Had a couple of nice scoring chances in addition to being solid in other aspects. Think him and Chytil are pretty much interchangeable offensively but he brings other things that Chytil does not
Hmmm...scratching my head and wondering what does Chytil bring ??? Some promise is about it.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Last night we as fans got to see the player we hoped he would be. Big, physical, played an up tempo game. Put himself into some scoring opportunities. 4 shots on net. 3 hits on the night. He didn't own the faceoff circle but he played great.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We need him to be able to win a face-off honestly... we literally can't win one and it caused the late goal.

If he can be our best face-off guy (not sayin much) he'll be in every night

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he looked good, and he WILL get his icetime

yesterday began 32 games remaining, in just 65 days
This time of year, heading into spring and playoff races,
almost every team has multiple guys get hurt or dinged-up,
and need to rely on their depth and youth

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Here's the thing - Its obvious to me he is most comfortable at Center.

When he plays on a wall, it cuts down his range and skating. As a winger you need to stay higher in the d-zone and you can become a little flat-footed guarding the points. Think about how a Brian Boyle would look on the wing.

A big guy like him needs to stay in motion at this level and you can see it fit his game much better. Natural centers are instinctively deep in their own zone helping out, a lot of time below the goal line - and he did that several times against the Caps, including a great read on one particular play.

To me he's much more valuable than a Chytil or McKegg in his own zone defensively because he has to size, willingness and smarts to truly help out the D around the net and below the goal line. Chytil stays too high, loses coverage and is more concerned about breaking out with the puck. Barron can do both. This is going to be extremely important in the postseason and its something teams look for in bottom 6 centers.

Even in the neutral and offense zones you can see he reads the play better from the middle. Hes more engaged physically when hes moving his feet and supports the strong side well with timely reads and he gets more shots on net because of it.

So if he does play I want to see him in the middle with Chytil on his wing. He's less effective on the wing IMO.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Like I've been saying.... He does all the little things well. He's massive and plays physical. He's good on the forecheck and is real solid defensively. Has a good shot.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Here's the thing - Its obvious to me he is most comfortable at Center.

When he plays on a wall, it cuts down his range and skating. As a winger you need to stay higher in the d-zone and you can become a little flat-footed guarding the points. Think about how a Brian Boyle would look on the wing.

A big guy like him needs to stay in motion at this level and you can see it fit his game much better. Natural centers are instinctively deep in their own zone helping out, a lot of time below the goal line - and he did that several times against the Caps, including a great read on one particular play.

To me he's much more valuable than a Chytil or McKegg in his own zone defensively because he has to size, willingness and smarts to truly help out the D around the net and below the goal line. Chytil stays too high, loses coverage and is more concerned about breaking out with the puck. Barron can do both. This is going to be extremely important in the postseason and its something teams look for in bottom 6 centers.

Even in the neutral and offense zones you can see he reads the play better from the middle. Hes more engaged physically when hes moving his feet and supports the strong side well with timely reads and he gets more shots on net because of it.

So if he does play I want to see him in the middle with Chytil on his wing. He's less effective on the wing IMO.

not surprising seeing how center is where he’s been groomed for the better part of 2 years in Hartford.
Barron is an ideal 3C in a Gallant bottom 6 due to size, style of play, physicality, and his shot.
He is a guy that would thrive in that role. He’s also pretty good at the dot.
That’s a bonus because we usually have a hard time winning a big face off.

I’m not the least bit surprised that’s where he looks the most comfortable.
I just wish GG went to him earlier.

if he’s part of the plan going fwd ( which I think he is) for the playoffs and next season + it’s really more beneficial he gets more ice time to develop chemistry with guys and better his overall game.
The good news is we still have a lot of hockey left to be played, so hopefully Gallant sticks with him.
He’ll probably have some bumps in the road, but they key is for him to learn an play thru it.
Putting him on the taxi squad/scratching him for a worse player is just a colossal waste for him and the rangers.
It’s also important to evaluate him. If he fills a spot internally, that’s a huge win. It’s assets we don’t have to spend in a trade to bring someone else in.
As far as chytil/Barron goes, Barron checks more boxes for what you’d want as a more prototypical 3C going FWD.
Seeing how Chytil can produce as a top 6 wing is also very beneficial.
There’s just a bunch of reasons why the switch should be made, and these guys get minutes/opportunities in those roles before the TDL and playoffs....

Last edited:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Hmmm...scratching my head and wondering what does Chytil bring ??? Some promise is about it.
Chytil brings future regret. We'll trade him and he will become a good player at the age of 27 but there's no way he stays on the team long enough for him to mature. I think it was the end of last year he was really good for like 11 games and then got injured. He's shown spurts of good play. He has a good shot. But man, the kid just does not have any confidence. Another example of a player that probably could have used 2-3 years in Hartford to find their game but we rushed to the majors instead.

Reactions: McRanger92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad