More likely MATTHEWS total pt or McDavid more assist

Matthew more pts or McDavid more assist

• Total voters

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Is there any disagreement that Toronto media ruins some things for fans and players?

I mean, it is only a known fact that some players won't even consider Toronto or Montreal because their media and fan bases are too harsh and critical of everything.

...and if you deserve to be a god-there is no place better.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Wait. Did you just say McDavid let his team slip?

Are you new to hockey? Former basketball fan? No single skater can do what you’re accusing McDavid of. Toronto is higher in the standings because they are a better team. This idea that Matthews has an edge on McDavid because his team is better, despite putting up inferior numbers, is about the stupidest argument a person could make.

Matthews is a terrific player, but this is the Toews vs. Crosby argument all over again, except unlike Toews, Matthews doesn’t have multiple Cups, or a Conn Smythe. If it was a ridiculous argument then, how silly do you think it comes across now?

and while that's fair, how manyvteams with gretzky, lemieux, Crosby, ovechkin ever finished bottom 5 in the league? id they truly are that great shouldn't they at least be able to get their team past the worst teams in the league? if they make so little difference I find it hard to call them the best the league has seen of our generation.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
and while that's fair, how manyvteams with gretzky, lemieux, Crosby, ovechkin ever finished bottom 5 in the league? id they truly are that great shouldn't they at least be able to get their team past the worst teams in the league? if they make so little difference I find it hard to call them the best the league has seen of our generation.

Do you really believe McDavid makes very little impact on a hockey team?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Do you really believe McDavid makes very little impact on a hockey team?

it's not looking good this year, is it? it certainly raises questions for me. if he is the best player on the planet wouldn't he make the difference in winning a few more games than teams like Detroit? shouldn't a generational player help you win a few more games?

or are you suggesting that he HAS made a huge impact, and their roster is Arizona level bad without him?

if youre going to respond challenging it, answer the question. how many times have those guys I listed been on a bottom 5 team in the league. in their prime, did any of them even mias the playoffs once?

Last edited:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Let's have a poll about who makes the playoffs, matthews or mcdavid. One of these guys let his team slip to the depths of the draft lottery after starting the year as cup favorites, surely that is more important to fans than which player meets some arbitrary statistical goal.

TIL Hockey isnt a team sport.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Actually, Lemieux did several times, Crosby and Ovechkin as well.

So your point about Generational players and playoffs is a fabricated one.

It's like Hockey is a team sport or something.

You're setting this up as either the Oilers are legendary bad without McDavid or McDavid isn't as good. Either way, you're getting a response that you're hoping for.

Reactions: Snippit

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Actually, Lemieux did several times, Crosby and Ovechkin as well.

So your point about Generational players and playoffs is a fabricated one.

It's like Hockey is a team sport or something.

You're setting this up as either the Oilers are legendary bad without McDavid or McDavid isn't as good. Either way, you're getting a response that you're hoping for.

okay, what are these several years lemieux and his pens were bottom 5 in the NHL?

Crosby? only his rookie year.

ovechkin? first two seasons, that's all.

and you're last statement, there has to be some truth to that. you would think a player that only comes along once in a generation would help win some games. would the oilers lose more games without mcdavid yes or no?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
okay, what are these several years lemieux and his pens were bottom 5 in the NHL?

Crosby? only his rookie year.

ovechkin? first two seasons, that's all.

and you're last statement, there has to be some truth to that. you would think a player that only comes along once in a generation would help win some games. would the oilers lose more games without mcdavid yes or no?

First three years for Lemieux, last two seasons he played. So five right there.

Does that make them not generational? You said if they made it bottom five, which they did, that would not make them generational.

The last statement, I stand by it. You’re going to get the reaction you want either way.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
First three years for Lemieux, last two seasons he played. So five right there.

Does that make them not generational? You said if they made it bottom five, which they did, that would not make them generational.

The last statement, I stand by it. You’re going to get the reaction you want either way.
the penguins were not bottom 5 in the league after lemieuxs rookie season.

and his last 2 years? you mean when he played a combined 36 games over 2 seasons???

:laugh:

OH YOU TOTALLY GOT ME THERE. hahahahaga.

that's just sad.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Is there any disagreement that Toronto media ruins some things for fans and players?

I mean, it is only a known fact that some players won't even consider Toronto or Montreal because their media and fan bases are too harsh and critical of everything.

It’s not a known fact, lol, you need to look up what facts are. It’s fake news, the kind of nonesense insecure out of market fans like yourself post.

Our media cesspool is a Simmons, Feschuk and Cox deep. They haven’t ruined anything but their own reputations.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wait. Did you just say McDavid let his team slip?

Are you new to hockey? Former basketball fan? No single skater can do what you’re accusing McDavid of. Toronto is higher in the standings because they are a better team. This idea that Matthews has an edge on McDavid because his team is better, despite putting up inferior numbers, is about the stupidest argument a person could make.

Matthews is a terrific player, but this is the Toews vs. Crosby argument all over again, except unlike Toews, Matthews doesn’t have multiple Cups, or a Conn Smythe. If it was a ridiculous argument then, how silly do you think it comes across now?

Well yeah, it is pretty silly because you are associating McDavid to Crosby, and Toews to Matthews.

McDavid isn’t as good as his comparable, and Matthews is better than his.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
It’s not a known fact, lol, you need to look up what facts are. It’s fake news, the kind of nonesense insecure out of market fans like yourself post.

Our media cesspool is a Simmons, Feschuk and Cox deep. They haven’t ruined anything but their own reputations.
As recently as this year has players like Doughty said they would never play in toronto because of media

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As recently as this year has players like Doughty said they would never play in toronto because of media
he's never said that at all. the closest he's come is "if I were to play here I don't know if I could get used to that." I don't think he's coming here. I don't think its even possible with this roster and his cap hit. but he has come nowhere near saying he wouldn't olay here. quite the opposite.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
he's never said that at all. the closest he's come is "if I were to play here I don't know if I could get used to that." I don't think he's coming here. I don't think its even possible with this roster and his cap hit. but he has come nowhere near saying he wouldn't olay here. quite the opposite.
Then you missed the interview because Doughty said hed never go there because of the media pressure

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
it's not looking good this year, is it? it certainly raises questions for me. if he is the best player on the planet wouldn't he make the difference in winning a few more games than teams like Detroit? shouldn't a generational player help you win a few more games?

or are you suggesting that he HAS made a huge impact, and their roster is Arizona level bad without him?

if youre going to respond challenging it, answer the question. how many times have those guys I listed been on a bottom 5 team in the league. in their prime, did any of them even mias the playoffs once?

Pretty much.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
the penguins were not bottom 5 in the league after lemieuxs rookie season.

and his last 2 years? you mean when he played a combined 36 games over 2 seasons???

:laugh:

OH YOU TOTALLY GOT ME THERE. hahahahaga.

that's just sad.

Sad that you move the goal posts to support your argument? Got me there.

You're right, I didn't look at the standings properly. Point is, generational talents have missed playoffs, doesn't mean they aren't generational. It's a crappy narrative you're trying to spin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews is now 2 pts below a PPG average. I mentioned earlier this season, his numbers would likely normalize because it would be impossible to maintain his goals pace when he was being compared to McDavid. Matthews simply does not generate enough assists to be an over a PPG pace threat as McDavid is, even in an off year which McDavid is currently on compared to last season. Off by 10 points as he is on a 90 point pace. But still good enough to have the same amount of assists as Matthews has in total points thus far this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad