Moose Season Discussion

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bergeron is a hof not sure if point ever gets there.
Just talking style.

Moot point anyway because Lundell would have ended up locked into our third line checking unit for 5-6 years while we kept trading for 2Cs... Lundell could end up taking Wennberg's place next season.

Perfetti will get an instant top 6 chance because we're a bit thin on set up guys right now. I doubt we ever see him as C for the Jets though.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I hate comparing prospects to NHL players. We likely don't see another Bergeron caliber player for a long time.
Bergeron wasn't a Bergeron caliber player for a long time.

Maybe a Bergeron to Krejci comparison is better

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
By all reports, Samberg is playing just OK in the AHL and needs games there, not thrust into the Jets lineup right now. Heinola is definitely ready though.

Lets just remember Stanley would still be rotting in the PB if it wasn't for Beaulieu's injury. Beaulieu stays healthy we're looking at 3 rookies with very little NHL experience going into next year, so another year of fringe NHL scrubs playing in the top 4 because they haven't played the amount of NHL games needed for Maurice to trust them.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Lets just remember Stanley would still be rotting in the PB if it wasn't for Beaulieu's injury. Beaulieu stays healthy we're looking at 3 rookies with very little NHL experience going into next year, so another year of fringe NHL scrubs playing in the top 4 because they haven't played the amount of NHL games needed for Maurice to trust them.

If the defence is a weak spot I'm not sure putting in Samberg right now is the play. If the rookies play, and the team goes out in 5 or 6 in the 1st round, are we saying the season was a success? Doubtful. Let Samberg play more minutes in the AHL first. It's worked for Stanley so far, let's let Samberg develop a bit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Based on your description lundell is the obvious prediction. Bigger, faster, just as two way just as smart. Just as good at driving a line, at playmaking. What does perfetti have over lundell?

Perfetti might be even smarter, by a bit, IDK. But he also may be a slightly better scorer and/or playmaker.
I can't assign exact values to any of their characteristics, head to head, other than Lundell's size advantage. OH, almost forgot, also skating. If Cole improves his skating and gains a bit of strength in the off-season, they will be even closer to one another. Check back in 5-10 years to see how they turn out. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just thought I'd mention that Gustafsson is just 6 months older than Lundell and this season he's pacing at a higher NHL equivalency in point production than Lundell. I think Lundell has a higher offensive ceiling than Gustafsson, but the gap might not be as big as some think. If Gustafsson can add a bit more quickness / speed, he could be a very good defense oriented 3C. I'd rather have a combination of Perfetti / Gustafsson than Lundell / Gustafsson.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There weren't that many similarities at the time of the draft. Perfetti was seen as an offensive dynamo that was likely projected by many to be a scoring winger. Lundell was seen as a safe defensive first center with questionable offe sive upside.

Since then Lundell has upped his offensive game and Perfetti has likely shocked a number of scouts with how seamless he has converted to center at the pro level and just how responsible he has been in his end.

In my mind Perfetti has a significantly higher ceiling. He is the more skilled player in pretty much every offensive facet. The fact that he's also an elite play driver and competent defensively given where he is in his physical development is another feather in his cap.

He is an equal skater to Lundell in terms of straight line speed but is more agile and slippery skater with the puck. Where he trails Lundell is in the strength and size department (Two areas where I put little long term stock in)

Lundell obviously could turn out better but the Jets went for high end upside and I will always go for that over a safer .ore ready player.

A) I don't care. :laugh: I'm not talking about rating Chevy's decision.
B) Some people thought there was that question mark about Lundell's scoring. Many others did not.

I agree Perfetti has a higher ceiling, but if we rated probability of achieving the ceilings, I'd say Lundell is ahead there. I think you overrate Perfetti's skating. Though that has probably improved since I last saw him play. I expect it to improve further. From my very limited observations, I think part of Perfetti's skating problem comes down to fitness. It appears to me that his skating gets much worse when he is tired. More so than normal.

We'll see in a few years which one achieves at a higher level. I'm not predicting either at this point.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If the defence is a weak spot I'm not sure putting in Samberg right now is the play. If the rookies play, and the team goes out in 5 or 6 in the 1st round, are we saying the season was a success? Doubtful. Let Samberg play more minutes in the AHL first. It's worked for Stanley so far, let's let Samberg develop a bit.

Well he's injured, so no. :P

But putting in Heinola is and was months ago, putting in Stanley the minute Beaulieu hit his games as well. He played his AHL time, looked solid, then was thoroughly yeeted for #badvet.

There is no reason Heinola and Samberg should have played 1 combined NHL game with the defense we've deployed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A) I don't care. :laugh: I'm not talking about rating Chevy's decision.
B) Some people thought there was that question mark about Lundell's scoring. Many others did not.

I agree Perfetti has a higher ceiling, but if we rated probability of achieving the ceilings, I'd say Lundell is ahead there. I think you overrate Perfetti's skating. Though that has probably improved since I last saw him play. I expect it to improve further. From my very limited observations, I think part of Perfetti's skating problem comes down to fitness. It appears to me that his skating gets much worse when he is tired. More so than normal.

We'll see in a few years which one achieves at a higher level. I'm not predicting either at this point.

When was the last time you really saw him skate? If your sample is the World Juniors then yeah his skating slowed and he got pretty sluggish as he got tired. He was coming off a 10 month layoff including a two week quarantine right before the WJHC. He clearly wasn't in game shape for that tournament. We all can attest to just how long it took Dubois to get going after his quarantine, some consideration should be applied to Cole here. Whereas with Lundell you had a player in mid season form due to him playing 20 or so Liga games before the tournament.

Cole has had zero issue maintaining his skating through full AHL games and as per Vincent has no issue pushing hard right through their practices. If you were to compare the two's skating now that both would be in form there wouldn't be much if any discernable difference between him and Lundell.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When was the last time you really saw him skate? If your sample is the World Juniors then yeah his skating slowed and he got pretty sluggish as he got tired. He was coming off a 10 month layoff including a two week quarantine right before the WJHC. He clearly wasn't in game shape for that tournament. We all can attest to just how long it took Dubois to get going after his quarantine, some consideration should be applied to Cole here. Whereas with Lundell you had a player in mid season form due to him playing 20 or so Liga games before the tournament.

Cole has had zero issue maintaining his skating through full AHL games and as per Vincent has no issue pushing hard right through their practices. If you were to compare the two's skating now that both would be in form there wouldn't be much if any discernable difference between him and Lundell.

I saw some of his play early on with the Moose. I saw the same pattern there. But I am assuming improvement since then. Part of my problem with his skating is probably just appearance. Style doesn't actually count for much. But he has had the worst looking skating I can recall seeing at this level, ever.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I saw some of his play early on with the Moose. I saw the same pattern there. But I am assuming improvement since then. Part of my problem with his skating is probably just appearance. Style doesn't actually count for much. But he has had the worst looking skating I can recall seeing at this level, ever.

Yes his style is very akward looking predominantly due to his posture. I haven't noticed his skating hinder him at all in any of the last number of games but he still needs to work on it. He should start with his slouched posture.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

And probably not playing even with the injury if Sbisa didn't get claimed.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
And probably not playing even with the injury if Sbisa didn't get claimed.
This almost makes me believe in the hockey gods... Clearly Stanley was Meant to play... Maybe this year is the Jets' year... Because we all know how Maurice is forced into his best lineup decisions...

:D

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A familiar name back in the fold.

Interesting... has some tools. I was a bit surprised that they didn't offer him a contract, but they have developed a bit of a glut on LD in their pipeline. But with Oligny gone for the season, and Heinola up with the Jets for good, I guess he offers some depth.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He's a familiar name?
Drafted by the Jets same round as Chisholm, more defensive and plays a bit bigger. Had some decent offensive numbers in the OHL. Jets didn't sign him and lost his rights as a result. Not super surprised the Jets didn't sign him with the logjam of defense we have on the Moose but I am surprised that he hadn't gotten a look by any other ECHL or even AHL teams this year. Not sure how much COVID has complicated the process of bringing in players for "a look".

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
With the OHL officially canceling their season Perfetti will be staying with the Moose. That is the best thing for his development imo but it sucks for all the other kids who don't have a place to play.

Yes that does suck. Anyone have an idea what difference in hockey level caliber is between the AHL and ECHL?. Or the ECHL and the OHL? I wonder if junior prospects can choose to play in the ECHL or even if that would be allowed??. I guess Europe is always an option too.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With the OHL officially canceling their season Perfetti will be staying with the Moose. That is the best thing for his development imo but it sucks for all the other kids who don't have a place to play.
Also to me solidifies that he'll be with the Jets next year. No sense sending back to a place where he'll unlearn (or at least not use) the systems he spent all year getting up to speed on.

With his work ethic and drive, I expect him to add some strength over the summer. Hopefully the Jets learned from their experience with JoMo and coach him how to do it without affecting his mobility

Reactions: Finster8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad