Dreger: Montreal was very interested in Deangelo

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Why would it be different in Montreal as opposed to New York?

DeAngelo is from the Philly area. He grew up a Flyers fan. He roots for sports teams that are the rivals of New York teams. It'd be very easy for him to instantly clash with Rangers fans about that.

And New York isn't an area where his views he expresses on social media that you've said you dislike are well accepted. New York's population, and especially the NY Metro Area, has a reputation for the people having almost the exact opposite views.

There are many Ranger fans on this website who disagree heavily with the views DeAngelo espouses off the ice, but Rangers fans accepted him as a member of the team, and he became a fan favorite due to his personality. You simply seem ignorant about DeAngelo, and are judging him on things that have no business being how you assess a player on your team.

I don't know if he'll be a Hab. He might sign with another team, but DeAngelo will sign somewhere in the NHL, some fans will hate him initially for the reasons you've claimed you do, and then they'll start rooting for him eventually, and probably become a fan of him. It'll be no different than his stint with the Rangers.
NYC as a whole. but I would say the majority of Rangers fans tend to lean more right than left. If you ever been at a game on election day (for a president) you would see it. I was there in either 08 or 12 for Obama and a few times they posted results that had been reported. Crowd wasn't exactly happy.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well if the majority of deals he makes are clear wins , developed a top 5 prospect pool , a dory load of picks , solid young core to grow on , that’s a fantasy I’ll take . Let’s look at a few other teams in comparison . Toronto last won when ? Philly ? Buffalo, Ottawa , nyr, nyi, Florida, Winnipeg , Calgary , Edmonton, Minnesota , Colorado , sanjosr , Arizona , Vancouver and I’m forgetting a few I’m sure . The winners for the most part have been lucky to grab generational talents when they bottomed out . Guys like Crosby , ovechkin , hedman etc. Add to that the taxes and culture , what do you think a new guy coming in is gonna do to right the ship ?
Excuses, excuses. Bergevin is a bad GM

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
You compared it to the Gusev situation, which I don't think it really all that comparable given the rather significant difference in salary forfeited between the two and career earnings.

If Montreal already expressed interest in DeAngelo now, why would that change prior to the start of next season?

There should be more interest in DeAngelo this offseason given there will be less cap constraints and there are even more roster spots being added to the league with Seattle coming into the fold.

And what do you have against capital letters?
the gusev comparison is in regards to a contract being terminated by the current team and the player signing a new contract with another team. yes deangelo loses way more money, but his chance at getting another contract may not be much higher than gusev's

montreal may be interested still, but they also acquired more defense via trade, so will it be the same? maybe not. again, i don't think he'll get many chances, so wasting a premium one seems ill-advised for a guy who wants to play nhl hockey again.

nothing against capital letters, maybe i'm e.e. cummings

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
I respect your opinion I just think he’s doing a good job

I am not sure what you are basing your opinion off of but the Habs:

- Won 1 playoff round in the last 7 years
- Went past the second round once in 10 years
- Arguably drafted/developed the least amount of impact players around the league
- Fired and hired three completely separate coaching staffs
- Oversaw one of the worst AHL franchises in the last decade
- Gave out several long-term and highly-paid and risky contracts
- Ran their stars out of down based on 'character'
- Built a team that has almost no players who are passionate about being a Montreal Canadien.
- Consistently finished below average in the regular season standings.

They went the conference finals once early on in his tenure but with a core built by the previous management team. Categorically, he is a bad GM.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone been able to confirm that Bbinz was interested?

This smells like click bait to a highly controversial subject.....and we fell for it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
yes and having problems with his teammates each year, he's a xenophobe that doesn't have his place in the NHL or in any team

Disagree strongly. Rude to call him a xenophobe as well; I get some people dont like his political views but hes a fine player who isn't even 26 and just scored 50+ points last year. He's a good player and belongs in the NHL.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I am not sure what you are basing your opinion off of but the Habs:

- Won 1 playoff round in the last 7 years
- Went past the second round once in 10 years
- Arguably drafted/developed the least amount of impact players around the league
- Fired and hired three completely separate coaching staffs
- Oversaw one of the worst AHL franchises in the last decade
- Gave out several long-term and highly-paid and risky contracts
- Ran their stars out of down based on 'character'
- Built a team that has almost no players who are passionate about being a Montreal Canadien.
- Consistently finished below average in the regular season standings.

They went the conference finals once early on in his tenure but with a core built by the previous management team. Categorically, he is a bad GM.
Well I still think he is good . Sorry your not of the same thought .

Reactions: BenG

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Well I still think he is good . Sorry your not of the same thought .

Yes, of course and we will agree to disagree!

May I ask why you feel Bergevin's a good gm? He had a decent offseason but way too little too late after 10 years of stagnation.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yes, of course and we will agree to disagree!

May I ask why you feel Bergevin's a good gm? He had a decent offseason but way too little too late after 10 years of stagnation.
Well I for one feel a lot of the hatred for bergevin started when he traded subban . All the kids from that era can’t stand him for that . But he had to go . Everything was about pernell . Bergevin had the kahunas to do it though . You mentioned the Russians . Markov and radulov . After the Habs lost to the rangers I heard reports that many in that dressing room were quite pisssed with the Russians and there attitude immediately afterwards . Laughing drinking playing cards maybe not even showing the least bit of disappointment. We may never know the true story but there wasn’t a Russian left the following year . So we don’t always know what goes on in the dressing room and he may not have delivered acceptable results yet but ........

EpiPen

Jun 6, 2016
With his current situation it would be extremely idiotic to throw 5.3 millions dollars out the window. Montreal obviously wasn't willing to pay him that type of money or they would have traded a 7th for him. Why would he terminate his great contract to take what would have been a lot less.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
He has built the farm team and prospect pool into a top 5 in the league , has a solid core of youngsters , accumulated lots of picks and was wise enough to realize we were not an Ekholm away from beating Tampa bay . He had also managed to make the team more competitive this year with the additions of Allen , toffoli Anderson edmundson while not taking away from the future . If you remove the drouin deal and the alzner signing I think he has done excellent

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
He has built the farm team and prospect pool into a top 5 in the league , has a solid core of youngsters , accumulated lots of picks and was wise enough to realize we were not an Ekholm away from beating Tampa bay . He had also managed to make the team more competitive this year with the additions of Allen , toffoli Anderson edmundson while not taking away from the future . If you remove the drouin deal and the alzner signing I think he has done excellent

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion! If you haven't already, I highly recommended checking out Dale Weise's new podcast (Habs Tonight?) where you can hear about how it was in the room from a bunch of ex-habs. Really interesting to hear him talk about the current core and their lacklustre 'character' and passion for the game compared to previous years.

‎Habs Tonight on Apple Podcasts

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion! If you haven't already, I highly recommended checking out Dale Weise's new podcast (Habs Tonight?) where you can hear about how it was in the room from a bunch of ex-habs. Really interesting to hear him talk about the current core and their lacklustre 'character' and passion for the game compared to previous years.

‎Habs Tonight on Apple Podcasts
Thanks for the suggestion. Weise was never one of my favourites and from the sounds of it maybe bitter about being toast so early himself . If I get a chance I’ll check it out . Cheers

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Well I for one feel a lot of the hatred for bergevin started when he traded subban . All the kids from that era can’t stand him for that . But he had to go . Everything was about pernell . Bergevin had the kahunas to do it though . You mentioned the Russians . Markov and radulov . After the Habs lost to the rangers I heard reports that many in that dressing room were quite pisssed with the Russians and there attitude immediately afterwards . Laughing drinking playing cards maybe not even showing the least bit of disappointment. We may never know the true story but there wasn’t a Russian left the following year . So we don’t always know what goes on in the dressing room and he may not have delivered acceptable results yet but ........
While the rest of your excuses are every Bargain Bin defenders parroting BS, let's focus in on MARKOV here, who busted his f'ng tail for the Habs for 16 years and was instrumental in helping the developing talent throughout his tenure...he was "playiing cards and laughing"...that's what you have here??...the guy that BLED bleu, blanc, et rouge for 990 games and then was dumped by Bargain Bin FOR F'ING ALZNER...you're not a Habs fan, you're a joke...

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
NYC as a whole. but I would say the majority of Rangers fans tend to lean more right than left. If you ever been at a game on election day (for a president) you would see it. I was there in either 08 or 12 for Obama and a few times they posted results that had been reported. Crowd wasn't exactly happy.

Not invalidating you, but the Rangers have the second most Democratic fanbase in the NHL

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
While the rest of your excuses are every Bargain Bin defenders parroting BS, let's focus in on MARKOV here, who busted his f'ng tail for the Habs for 16 years and was instrumental in helping the developing talent throughout his tenure...he was "playiing cards and laughing"...that's what you have here??...the guy that BLED bleu, blanc, et rouge for 990 games and then was dumped by Bargain Bin FOR F'ING ALZNER...you're not a Habs fan, you're a joke...
Hey don’t get your panties in a knot there big lurch . To each their own .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
what?

why?

we have missed the playoffs every year lately and he's been here 9 years.
Lately he has the farm , prospect pool and future looking much brighter He’s improving the team albeit slightly while not taking away any of the future

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not invalidating you, but the Rangers have the second most Democratic fanbase in the NHL
I do not have time right now to try to read a full report on that, but I have VERY serious doubt about the validity of that study. "2nd most" can also be deceiving. 2nd most in the NHL does not necessarily mean the majority is democrat.

edit: not creating an account or paying to read it. It is not that important to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

del17

Dec 26, 2015
That’s your opinion I think he’s one of the best
Bergevin in my opinion does well in general with the players he attains. The one element missing is spending to bring in superstar talent or making a deal to acquire a high draft pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad