Dreger: Montreal was very interested in Deangelo

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe his buyout cash was still more than what the Habs would have offered. Sucks for the Rangers that they couldn't get out from that contract cleanly

Reactions: CanuckCity

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Jesus. Learn to read.

He is not the guy that is stupid here.

Mutual termination = No money (or probably atleast nowhere near as much).
Buyout= Atleast some money guaranteed....

Of course DeAngelo didn't go for it and of course the Rangers would have done that because that would have meant they wouldn't have any dead cap from buying him out...
Ahhh sorry Tony missed that part.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Ahhh sorry Tony missed that part.

Lol. You probably won't find many people on here that think less of DeAngelo than I do. And that was even before the crap that happened that lead to him (rightfully) getting banished. I would never ever want that guy anywhere near my team.

That said. You called him stupid while not even understanding what was happening and why he obviously didn't go for this. I don't like that. I think DeAngelo is pretty stupid and has done a ton of very dumb and despicable stuff. But not even he was dumb enough to go for what you seem to think he should have done...

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Lol. You probably won't find many people on here that think less of DeAngelo than I do. And that was even before the crap that happened that lead to him (rightfully) getting banished. I would never ever want that guy anywhere near my team.

That said. You called him stupid while not even understanding what was happening and why he obviously didn't go for this. I don't like that. I think DeAngelo is pretty stupid and has done a ton of very dumb and despicable stuff. But not even he was dumb enough to go for what you seem to think he should have done...
I actually asked if he was stupid. So I was trying to receive clarification on something I may have misinterpreted and it’s clear I did.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
So Deangelo had a taker and chose not to accept? Is this guy actually that stupid?
I assume he wasn't big an quarantine and generally going somewhere that takes the virus more serious than he'd like. That's assuming it was just the habs since we're only hearing about them. It could be that and or money, get his buyout money + the same new contract he'd get either way

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Sounds like he wants to inflict pain on the Rangers, with a buyout.

I would enjoy if that was the case, but it just may be the smarter financial decision. Not accounting for escrow and the deferment, he’ll get ~3.5 mil (remainder of the season and the buyout) with this path. Next year, he may be making the league minimum or be in Russia either way.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I would enjoy if that was the case, but it just may be the smarter financial decision. Not accounting for escrow and the deferment, he’ll get ~3.5 mil (remainder of the season and the buyout) with this path. Next year, he may be making the league minimum or be in Russia either way.
Definitely is the better financial decision. 3.5M or nothing...hmmm

Reactions: DaveG

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sounds like he wants to inflict pain on the Rangers, with a buyout.

No doubt, those 300K and 800 cap hits are going to destroy the Rangers cap structure.

----------

Also, I call bullshit on this. DeAngelo hasn't been playing competitively for a minute now, then quarantine and then the whole media circus that comes with signing him. He wasn't gonna get paid the money he was making.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Not sure why something couldn't get done...

To Montreal: Deangelo, BUF's 2021 3rd

To New York: Lehkonen

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People are going to find out in a few months that Anthony DeAngelo will be very sought after as an unrestricted free agent.

Can't blame the guy for not leaving millions of dollars in the table.

(X) Press (X) to doubt

He'll get some sub-$1 million offers in free agency as a reclamation project in a sheltered role, and as soon as he steps out of line, he's getting buried in the AHL and blacklisted from the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad