Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
- Briere (in his prime)
- Hossa (2x) - Gainey even traded for his rights pre-UFA for exclusive negotiation window, he wouldn’t even meet with Habs both times 2008 & 2009
- Sundin
- Wheeler - as a young UFA from Az who refused to meet with Habs in summer 2008, preferring Boston (granted he wasn’t the PPG player yet)

btw - Habs were actual contenders between 2007-2009 when they went after that ONE player who would’ve put them over the top

Over last 10-years:
- Stamkos ; he did meet w Habs
- Tavares ; wouldn’t even meet Habs
- Panarin : per McGuire & Gord Miller Habs gave highest offer & he refused to meet with them
As I said, we’re not a destination team for guys like that. Never really have been.

Reactions: rahad

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
They were first liners for us. Toffoli right fit in playoffs with Suzuki and Caufield. That was our best line on road to finals. Got 35 goals in 82 games out of Toffoli. Flipped him for first pick. Good signing.

Radulov was our best player. Cole, Pacioretty line was good line. Made DD look like decent player.

Cammalleri was good player. Major reason for those upsets during Halakian trip to final 4

I'd Sign a UFA like Cole or Radulov/Toffoli this summer. Be A1 move
Your first sentence says everything we need to know about UFAs. First liners for “us”. They wouldn’t be first liners on most other teams.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I honestly don't know his game that well, so I can't comment on whether he'd be a good signing at the high cap hit and term he'll command.

But UFA's coming off high performing seasons in the pending UFA season have mixed results after they sign the big deal. Plus, he plays with Barkov.
I don’t want him personally but he’s a good player and would be a better aquesition then Marchessault and Stamkos so I’m surprise they are no talk about him

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t want him personally but he’s a good player and would be a better aquesition then Marchessault and Stamkos so I’m surprise they are no talk about him
For sure he's better now.

The problem is if you have to give him 8 years, the second half of the contract could be an albatross. Marchessault and Stamkos would presumably be stop gaps for 3 years max. Anyways Stamkos is going back to Tampa and I think Reinhart is going back to Florida.

Reactions: Vachon23

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Don’t think because Huberdeau flop, it does mean every other players will flop. Look at Marchessault
He was there before Barkov really broke out. Hoffman and Dadonov are others that peaked while playing in Florida and are meh now.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Dubois might be bought out this summer, thus becoming UFA. Will you sign him for $6M per ? $5M per or $4M ?
You really think LA wants Dubois against the cap for the next 14 years? That seems crazy.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Sundin did swear when the question came up in a Toronto media scrum. I think he was super uncomfortable to be talking about that in public.

Whatever reservations sundin had, gainey must have thought he had a good shot at easing them. It didn't work.
He sweared but it had nothing do with him not willing to come to Montreal. He simply didn't understand the reporters initially question. They were asking something about him practicing his French.

I think Sundin was open about coming over. I don't know how serious he was but him and Gainey had a few meetings and those discussions continued well into the season even after the Robert Lang trade.

I believe Gainey even flew to meet him during the holidays before Sundin signed with the Canucks.

This leads me to think that he was at least giving it some consideration.

oberan1

Aug 9, 2004
Montreal, Canada
I'd prefer Monahan to Toffoli because of his ability to play wing and center. That could be really helpful if we have injuries at center.
Wish we'd stop talking about Monahan. Great guy, but he was a means to an end. Was never a part of the end state solution. Hughes identified a way to turn a cap crunch on another team into two firsts that could potentially be used in a transaction that could supply part of that end state solution. Asset management pure and simple.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wish we'd stop talking about Monahan. Great guy, but he was a means to an end. Was never a part of the end state solution. Hughes identified a way to turn a cap crunch on another team into two firsts that could potentially be used in a transaction that could supply part of that end state solution. Asset management pure and simple.
except we were a much better team with him in the lineup, he provided a good role model for the young forwards, he may be able to be signed short term (or else not interested), he can play center and wing, and he may get us a 3rd 1st in the final year of his deal as a UFA. But let's dismiss him because there are so many better short term options to play with our young forwards. Like Dvo.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Read my comment... I'm talking about elite forward (with 82pts+) coming to Montreal. The last one has Cammy. I'm not talking about signing the average top 6 forward (50-60 pts+). We did not have any elite forward signing with Montreal for a long time. People are talking about signing Stamkos. I very much doubt he will sign with us.
Not often star players move in general. But Habs can sign first line 80 point guys done it several times.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The expectations with Monahan were so low when the Habs acquired him, he's remembered so fondly mostly because he surpassed those very low expectations.

If the Habs signed Monahan to the type of deal he's going to command, that goodwill will fade pretty quickly.

except we were a much better team with him in the lineup, he provided a good role model for the young forwards, he may be able to be signed short term (or else not interested), he can play center and wing, and he may get us a 3rd 1st in the final year of his deal as a UFA. But let's dismiss him because there are so many better short term options to play with our young forwards. Like Dvo.
Were they?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He sweared but it had nothing do with him not willing to come to Montreal. He simply didn't understand the reporters initially question. They were asking something about him practicing his French.

I think Sundin was open about coming over. I don't know how serious he was but him and Gainey had a few meetings and those discussions continued well into the season even after the Robert Lang trade.

I believe Gainey even flew to meet him during the holidays before Sundin signed with the Canucks.

This leads me to think that he was at least giving it some consideration.
I think it’d be hilarious if French media scared him away.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Not to mention. The free agent coming back to the team that traded him in the same year is a romantic idea that gets alot of hype but it's actually an extremely rare event.

I dont even think you need all the fingers on on one hand to count all the examples.

Jul 6, 2016
Having Gainey would have helped lure Cammy also............he had built a Cup winner in Dallas.

The bottom line is, the cdn markets have such a disadvantage with taxes, and weather, and media and fan scrutiny, all accounting for why, almost NO star players want to come to Canada........there are just too many things, to ignore, and the agent driving the bus can also be another.

23-27 range....I think.
It’s between 24th and 28th depending of other series results.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Basu mentioning the Habs are unlikely to go big name UFA hunting this year, due to the term being prohibitive and them being mindful of long term contracts to Slafkovsky, Guhle and Dach.

Marchessault if he takes short term like 2-3 years could work but other than that, don't expect anything on the higher tier of this UFA class.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It’s between 24th and 28th depending of other series results.
I believe it is 24th to 27th. Currently 27th. The final 4 and Carolina would pick after us. If Carolina goes to the final 4 the Rangers don't and would pick after the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: