Value of: Montreal Offer-Sheeting Marner or Matthews

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yea, seven points behind with one more game played and we're not even at the half way mark. Lmao. Leafs are as likely to jump Tampa and win the presidents trophy as Montreal is catching the leafs in the standings. And your bragging about it. LOL

Also epic fail on the playoff diss to Matthews. Two years ago against Washington he was the best player on either team. Last year he was coming back from injury and didn't play well and that's all you have on him?

Austin Matthews is worth more then your whole team. Let's not kid ourselves. He'd be your leading goal scorer even though he missed 14 games this year and Montreal has played more games. You just sound salty because your probably won't see a player as good as Matthews play in Montreal for at least a decade. But according to you, you wouldn't want him. :rolleyes::laugh:

You guys are fighting for a playoff spot, we r fighting for home ice. Can't compare even though you wish you could. Odds are you guys probably won't make the playoffs
Like i said that big 7 more pts.:laugh::laugh:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
[mod]

Here's a little context to add.

6 goals and 7 assists in the last 10 games of the regular season after coming back from that injury but he was mysteriously too hurt to play good in the playoffs ?

...:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: junyab and Kallio

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
You know it truly makes me laugh that offer sheets continue to be talked about willy nilly by tons of armchair GM's across this site who clearly should keep their day jobs. GM's do not like to use offer sheets because it destroys their reputation amongst other GM's, nobody wants to do business with a snake, this is why they never happen and especially to high profile stars.

Montreal fans can dream of it sure, but reality says another thing. Also the actual players need to agree to it, Matthews has said on numerous occasions how much he loves Toronto and wants to be here long term, Marner was on CP24 as a child being interviewed saying how his favourite team is the Leafs. Marner wouldn't go to Montreal for more money that is known.

Its really amusing seeing Habs fans squirm around and try to cook up ideas on how to pry away star players from the Leafs. Comedic gold.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You don't plan a rebuild that's why you are in this mess.
A starting goalie making 10 million per the next 7 years and has a save % 33rd in the NHL and he's injured...
Apples and oranges.

The $10M part (actually $10.5M) is true and will remain true.

The other two affirmations are only valid as of now and may well drastically change during the next 7 years.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Apples and oranges.

The $10M part (actually $10.5M) is true and will remain true.

The other two affirmations are only valid as of now and may well drastically change during the next 7 years.
Just rebuild. Clinging to the last spot is not a good way to build a contender.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yes. Ans you'll be hard-pressed to find people disagree with that. Look around the NHl and who's winning cups.
Thanks for the laughs.

The 1970s Habs won their Cups after tanking.
The 1990s-2000s Wings won their Cups after tanking.
The 2010s Kings won their Cups after tanking.
The 2011 Bruins won their Cup after tanking.
The 2007 Ducks won their Cup after tanking.

And let's forget about these teams that tanked and subsequently have not won a Cup.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
How would this process work?

Could Montreal offer Matthews 14x7 and Marner 12x7, and take whomever the Leafs can't match (because they can't match both)

Is there a rule saying you can't do it that way? Is there a way for the Leafs to dodge that?

I feel like Montreal >HAS< to offer-sheet Matthews specifically; Weber and Price are signed long term and this team needs to be winning now.

This wouldn't happen. leafs will match anything thrown their way for Matthews and Marner is great and all but I don't think adding Marner makes us a cup contender. again no offense too him i wouldnt be willing to give up what, 4 firsts? for that offer sheet. no thanks!

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Well if you read the claim it is that Toronto plans it every season. I’m just looking for evidence of it.

Tim Lieweike is kind of pompous and I recognized your source so it’s legit.

In 2013 the CEO said he planned it.

Anything else or is this just a stigma that only Leaf fans are not immune to?

I dont really care to do more digging to be honest. Im sure i could find some. I mainly only did it because someone else said Vancouver media was pathetic because they did the same thing so i guess we are both pathetic. Good day sir!

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I dont really care to do more digging to be honest. Im sure i could find some. I mainly only did it because someone else said Vancouver media was pathetic because they did the same thing so i guess we are both pathetic. Good day sir!

Id say they’re both just hockey hot beds with some over zealous fans, media or management.

In a nutshell it’s perhaps embarrassing for the individual but not the team or city

Reactions: YeahKassian

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
6 goals and 7 assists in the last 10 games of the regular season after coming back from that injury but he was mysteriously too hurt to play good in the playoffs ?

I've got a great bridge to sell...
Babcock and matthews both stated his stamina and speed were both effected because of the three injuries last year but of course you'd know more right? Matthews has played 2 playoff series in his career so far, against Washington, best player on the ice for either team, against Boston, struggled against Bergeron = no show soft can perform. That's all you guys have. Lmao. I guess Backstrom and kutznetsov should have been shipped out of town after almost a decade of choking right?

I swear hf is having a hard time getting used to Mattews being better then anyone on their team (minus maybe 3 teams)

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Babcock and matthews both stated his stamina and speed were both effected because of the three injuries last year but of course you'd know more right? Matthews has played 2 playoff series in his career so far, against Washington, best player on the ice for either team, against Boston, struggled against Bergeron = no show soft can perform. That's all you guys have. Lmao. I guess Backstrom and kutznetsov should have been shipped out of town after almost a decade of choking right?

I swear hf is having a hard time getting used to Mattews being better then anyone on their team (minus maybe 3 teams)

I think it’s more that people (non Leafs fans) are sick of hearing about how great Matthews is, because it’s literally to the point where you expect TSN, Sportsnet and CBC to have a special report on his bowel movements. He’s a tremendous talent, but the over saturation from the media, and chest pounding from Leafs fans as well (not saying you, just in general), gets difficult to stomach after awhile. Just my 0.02$

Reactions: sessiroth

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013

As far as your Washington thing goes. Washington struggled because they didn’t play like a team or play team defense. Their style completely changed when Trotz came in.

The regular season is trivial to your team now. Why are you even talking about the regular season? You are a lock to make it every year now for the next while. It’s about playoff success for you going forward and let’s be honest you have had zero success there in the last 14 years. So I’d say big f***ing deal you’re where you are I’m the regular season standings, it means absolutely nothing. Winning in the playoffs means something so go do it

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
As far as your Washington thing goes. Washington struggled because they didn’t play like a team or play team defense. Their style completely changed when Trotz came in.

The regular season is trivial to your team now. Why are you even talking about the regular season? You are a lock to make it every year now for the next while. It’s about playoff success for you going forward and let’s be honest you have had zero success there in the last 14 years. So I’d say big ****ing deal you’re where you are I’m the regular season standings, it means absolutely nothing. Winning in the playoffs means something so go do it
Teams that don't make the playoffs because of the regular season talking shit about how the regular season doesn't matter. The irony don't ya think? Why bring up 14 years of the past when this core is 2.5 years in? It's not the same players so I'm not quite sure how you can try to discredit the current leafs for the past fails. I guess it's Matthews + marners fault when they were 6 that the leafs didn't make the playoffs. Lmao

Reactions: thunder16

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
We don't know if he was ever even presented with an offer sheet. I would definitely say it's more GMs fearing retribution as the reason we don't see offer sheets

Exactly, if one GM O/S any players he is fair game to have his own players offer sheeted for for years to come and lose his best players. As they say karma is a bitch.

No GM wants it revealed that he has offer sheeted any player, he would be open season by other teams. What's good for the Goose......you know! It would throw the salary cap out of whack when his own star players find out what he offer sheeted another player!

This is exactly why NONE OF US KNOW if Nylander was offer sheeted!

If the Canes offer sheeted Nylander I offersheet Aho, even if Aho does not sign it will cost the Canes a lot more to sign Aho this is just an example.

This is not hard to understand.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
[mod]

Here's a little context to add.

...:confused:

Here's a little clue for clueless post like yours, How many players played physical going into the playoffs? Easier to play when NO ONE IS HITTING TO get into the playoffs and everyone goes all in for the playoffs except injured players (Mathews) Why do you feel the need to antagonize Leaf posters over and over again?

Here's the best for you, you always talk smack with Leaf fans!!! Nucks fan? won't make the playoffs. Oilers fan? won't make the playoff? Jets fan ( LAINE DISAPPEARED) WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE? ) Give it a rest with your dumb ass posts!!!!

Edit: You should really stop hiding behind non Leaf Boards! You would be reprimanded as a pure troll on Leaf boards !

Last edited:

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Teams that don't make the playoffs because of the regular season talking **** about how the regular season doesn't matter. The irony don't ya think? Why bring up 14 years of the past when this core is 2.5 years in? It's not the same players so I'm not quite sure how you can try to discredit the current leafs for the past fails. I guess it's Matthews + marners fault when they were 6 that the leafs didn't make the playoffs. Lmao

Why are you so sensitive? You are bragging about the regular season like it’s some sort of accomplishment when it doesn’t mean anything at all. Do you realize how weak that is?

I brought it up because for some reason you think you’re awesome when you haven’t accomplished anything at all, and you’re actually bragging about the regular season.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Why are you so sensitive? You are bragging about the regular season like it’s some sort of accomplishment when it doesn’t mean anything at all. Do you realize how weak that is?

I brought it up because for some reason you think you’re awesome when you haven’t accomplished anything at all, and you’re actually bragging about the regular season.
Lmao you don't have good reading comprehension do you? Montreal Canadiens fan saying they're as good as the leafs due to only being behind 7 points regular season, I reply based on the premise and I'm bragging about the regular season? Ok there bud. Leaf haters are having a hard time coming up with insults nowadays I know.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Levels/phases of success IMO:

Leafs

Drafting? Check

Developing? Check

Regular Season Success? Check

Post Season Success? Not yet

Stanley Cup? Not yet

IMO the Leafs are well on the road to success, so I disagree with the idea they haven’t “achieved anything yet”. Success is not an overnight thing, it takes time, it’s a process. No such thing as a short cut to success, it involves a lot of work and a bit of luck.

Reactions: Economist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad