Value of: Montreal Offer-Sheeting Marner or Matthews

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I’ve said this before in discussions with friends, there has to be a levelling of the tax disparity between the many teams if the salary cap is to be applied fairly to all... UFAs are going to sign where they can take home the most money, that’s only common sense, so big name players are much less likely to sign in markets where they’ll lose more to the tax man, which puts those teams in those markets, at an inherent disadvantage.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
bergevin has already gone on record saying he won't give up the draft pick haul it would take to poach an elite player - even though I'm sure this board would love to see two of the richest teams in the league go to war

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why would Matthews or marner want to leave Toronto to play for Montreal? Lmao. There team is garbage and Weber and price are already declining rapidly.

People forget that the player would have to sign.
Ya just 7 pts behind the Great Leafs.
Don't want Matthers. Made of glass and can't handle the rough play of the playoffs.
Now i'd take a rain-check on Marner.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think it’d go down like the Tavares signing. It’s not that the agents won’t listen, it’s that the Canadien’s number is blocked.

These players want to win.
Well if the cup is the prize why did Tavares sign with the Leafs?Not happening with that (Mod) defence.

Last edited by a moderator:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
why in the hell would Montreal give a tons of first round picks for Marner ? you would give 4 years of high picks for Marner ?
The cost to sign a RFA is simply stupid and no GM wants to touch that.

$9,131,645 or greaterFour first-round picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
ITS INSANE, you do understand that MTL top draft picks are going to be in the top 10 for 2 +years, right ?

Donald Fehr agrees with you and it's something on his plate to change.

you would give Toronto a dynasty for Marner, really ?

That may not be the case, certainly if Doug Wilson's draft team is doing the selection. Sharks must have the worst 1st round draft selection in the league.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Don't want Matthers. Made of glass and can't handle the rough play of the playoffs.
Yea, seven points behind with one more game played and we're not even at the half way mark. Lmao. Leafs are as likely to jump Tampa and win the presidents trophy as Montreal is catching the leafs in the standings. And your bragging about it. LOL

Also epic fail on the playoff diss to Matthews. Two years ago against Washington he was the best player on either team. Last year he was coming back from injury and didn't play well and that's all you have on him?

Austin Matthews is worth more then your whole team. Let's not kid ourselves. He'd be your leading goal scorer even though he missed 14 games this year and Montreal has played more games.

You guys are fighting for a playoff spot, we r fighting for home ice.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

How will Montreal ever win a cup with that group of forwards, D and goaltending?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
While playing 1 more game than Toronto....1 point ahead of the Islanders who have played 2 less games....1 point ahead of Boston who have played 1 less game. The Habs are in a dogfight for the playoffs....

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ill repeat what ive been saying for a while now.

Auston Matthews will 100% be offer sheeted by some teams if hes not signed on July 1st

Now he may or may not sign - i dont know him personally to put a %on that. It would certainly take a lot for him to sign but its very possible. At some point enough money will be too tempting to pass up.

Montreal is one among many other teams who should be in on him.

Marner is....more questionable. The draft pick costs for Marner makes you think twice. Maybe

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Auston Matthews will 100% be offer sheeted by some teams if hes not signed on July 1st

Now he may or may not sign - i dont know him personally to put a %on that. It would certainly take a lot for him to sign but its very possible. At some point enough money will be too tempting to pass up.

Marner is....more questionable. The draft pick costs for Marner makes you think twice. Maybe

I am 100% sure no one will receive an offersheet.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

How can you be so sure? The possibility is definitely a scary one, but they’re just so rare that it’s hard to predict.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No OS in 6 years, no player has signed one in 12 years and it's a guarantee suddenly every Leafs RFA gets an offer.
Anyone not get why Leaf fans question this?

Mark Stone was the perfect RFA last summer. Nothing...

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I kñow its more fun to create doomsday scenarios for the leafs but the real guy to target with an offersheet is Brayden point.
$9million for 5 years.
It would cost 2 1sts , a 2nd and a 3rd
Tb would have a difficult time matching. They have more movement clauses then any team in the league. So creating space in the 5 days you have to match would also be tricky. Yzerman may have done a good job with his team on the most part but he sure wasn't shy giving people no trade clauses.... good luck convincing people to waive to leave sunny Florida with no state tax.
.... but offersheets rarely happen.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Arizona will be the team to offer sheet AM............Leafs will match, and problems with the cap will follow....get your popcorn folks, it's gonna be fun!!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I think it's unlikely too because i fully expect Matthews to be signed before July 1st.

But if he isn't - he will be.

How can you be so sure? The possibility is definitely a scary one, but they’re just so rare that it’s hard to predict.

Name me the last RFA available who was as high profile/potential as Matthews? I can't think of any.

Tavares was unique as one of the most sought after UFA's in history of NHL (certainly of cap era) - Matthews would be as an RFA I think.

There are other attractive names aside from Matthews too - but i think he's #1. Him being a center helps

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

We only ever hear about offersheets after a player signs one. That don't mean RFA'S don't receive contract offers from other teams. No one here knows what's going on behind the scenes so there could be offersheets extended to RFA's every offseason but if players don't sign them we never hear about them.

Just get your RFA's re-signed before they get to RFA and you have nothing to worry about. Even though the offersheet possibility is really low there is still that possibility of one happening and the RFA signing it.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
This is a good thread to start my year off, leafs fans are so much fun.

Offer sheets wont happen, but whole point of hfboards is so hockey fans can dream and post there opinions.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
What's more than surprising and really sucks as far as parity is considered is the take home from 13mil in Florida, Vegas, Texas and nashville is $8,224,310.00. That's 2.2 million more per year. Salary cap is not so friendly.

Canadian teams get paid in USD though. California and New York teams are the real losers in the salary cap. High cost of living, high taxes

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
funny how Leafs fans dismiss the option of Mathews going "home" but point to Tavares taking less money to go home.

The thing is that, before Leafs got Matthews, Leafs fans were talking about how they would offer sheet McDavid when the time comes. Leafs fans were laughed at.

Why couldn't McDavid come home right after his ELC but Matthews will sign some big offer sheet with Arizona in the summer? Matthews will most likely sign a long term deal (just like McDavid) before July 1st, end of story. Fans have an anti-Leafs agenda, period.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs should offersheet Matthews / Marner just to mess with the Leafs cap situation. MB knows Dubas will match.

Do it Marc!

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Last year he was coming back from injury and didn't play well and that's all you have on him?
6 goals and 7 assists in the last 10 games of the regular season after coming back from that injury but he was mysteriously too hurt to play good in the playoffs ?

I've got a great bridge to sell...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad