Proposal: Montreal - New Jersey

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Mete is not a good fit in NJ. He's tiny. NJ already has Butcher who can't see the ice. Mete is not going to help. Substitute a young RD who is at least somewhat hard to play against and sure.

Mete is more of a net zero asset who needs to go for cap, if Jersey doesn't want him we'll send him somewhere for a 6th/7th etc. The main thing for jersey is the conditional 2nd/3rd.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Mete is more of a net zero asset who needs to go for cap, if Jersey doesn't want him we'll send him somewhere for a 6th/7th etc. The main thing for jersey is the conditional 2nd/3rd.

For a conditional second, sure. For a conditional third I'd hope NJ would explore an extension before saying yes but you are close. I'd just as soon Mete go elsewhere since he is just a redundant player in NJ.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
For a conditional second, sure. For a conditional third I'd hope NJ would explore an extension before saying yes but you are close. I'd just as soon Mete go elsewhere since he is just a redundant player in NJ.

The pick I suggested was meant to be a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if he stays healthy.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Mete makes the league minimum. There is no way that he "needs to go for cap". He makes far too little for that.

He and Romanov has also been very effective.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The pick I suggested was meant to be a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if he stays healthy.

That's fair and makes sense. It's cap neutral and NJ accepting the money back makes the pick a bit better. Murray would be a good fit for a playoff team. He's rounding into form and is sturdy and mobile and plays excellent defense. I think he shows enough that he'd warrant a visit by NJ in free agency if he enjoyed his stay with the team.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Mete is not a good fit in NJ. He's tiny. NJ already has Butcher who can't see the ice. Mete is not going to help. Substitute a young RD who is at least somewhat hard to play against and sure.

Murray isn't worth a 2nd/3rd + good young RD prospect tho. So there's that.

I could see the Habs offering something like

Byron
Fleury
3rd

MAYBE... But Ryan Murray wa sjust tarded for a 5th, his value hasn't increased to the point of being valued @ a 2nd/3rd + RD prospect.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Murray isn't worth a 2nd/3rd + good young RD prospect tho. So there's that.

I could see the Habs offering something like

Byron
Fleury
3rd

MAYBE... But Ryan Murray wa sjust tarded for a 5th, his value hasn't increased to the point of being valued @ a 2nd/3rd + RD prospect.

There's the Scandella precedent. It doesn't matter what he was traded for. He's been healthy and played well. He's getting hot at the right time. NJ won't likely be taking back multiple years of Byron's bad deal for Fleury if Murray is worth only a third to you. Take Byron out and it's more realistic. If you don't want to trade for Murray just say so. Given what guys like Lovejoy and Vatanen have returned at the TDL, even mediocre veteran defenders are worth more than a third. Murray is actually pretty good. A third and a decent prospect is not unrealistic. If NJ retains expect to offer a good prospect and a third or a decent prospect and a second.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
There's the Scandella precedent. It doesn't matter what he was traded for. He's been healthy and played well. He's getting hot at the right time. NJ won't likely be taking back multiple years of Byron's bad deal for Fleury if Murray is worth only a third to you. Take Byron out and it's more realistic. If you don't want to trade for Murray just say so. Given what guys like Lovejoy and Vatanen have returned at the TDL, even mediocre veteran defenders are worth more than a third. Murray is actually pretty good. A third and a decent prospect is not unrealistic. If NJ retains expect to offer a good prospect and a third or a decent prospect and a second.

Murray isn't worth Fleury on his own, let alone add a 3rd rd pick for him.

It's all good we'll sign him on the UFA market this summer

My3Sons

Sponsor
Murray isn't worth Fleury on his own, let alone add a 3rd rd pick for him.

It's all good we'll sign him on the UFA market this summer

If Murray gets his best offer in free agency from MTL you can rest assure they value him more than a third round pick. If he's so mediocre to not be worth a third why sign him as a UFA? That's not how it works. If a team wants Murray in UFA you can rest assured they'd want to make a good trade offer for him now to get him and get a chance at getting him happy in a new location and maybe even getting a contract done to keep him away from other teams.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Mete makes the league minimum. There is no way that he "needs to go for cap". He makes far too little for that.

He and Romanov has also been very effective.

Believe with our current roster we do, we have 400k in deadline space unless we send Byron back to the taxi squad when all are healthy. We need to move someone and Mete would be our 8th D if this trade was made.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Believe with our current roster we do, we have 400k in deadline space unless we send Byron back to the taxi squad when all are healthy. We need to move someone and Mete would be our 8th D if this trade was made.

The OP's proposal includes Byron, but its moot, since its not happening.

And generally, Mete makes too little to be a cap clearing move, since replacing him on the roster will always be more expensive.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The OP's proposal includes Byron, but its moot, since its not happening.

And generally, Mete makes too little to be a cap clearing move, since replacing him on the roster will always be more expensive.

My original post was about the only player the Habs could really be after is Murray and this was my proposed idea.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
My original post was about the only player the Habs could really be after is Murray and this was my proposed idea.

Personally, I don't see that Murray would be an upgrade where Montreal needs it to bother with swapping Mete for Murray, let alone add a 2nd.

And you're scenario still doesn't work cap-wise for Montreal, forces them to make another move to be cap compliant and gives them less cap maneuverability.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
a 22 yr old promising RD, still waiver exempt, and a 22 yr old proven LD aint nothing
not familiar enough w Maltsev in particular, but it seems NJD have a handful of young F's on the verge
so it seems promising for NJ to me

but not that close to either team ...
Doesn't address needs. I would rather take picks if I was going to retain two players at 50% and give up a young forward

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Can't see why MTL would even consider a Murray for Mete swap, I like Ryan Murray but even with his decent play recently, he'd only bring back a 3rd at best or a lower prospect..... If anyone offers a 2nd all by itself NJ should immediately accept

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad