Proposal: Montreal - Fallin for Dahlin

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
your team still kept its pick...
Oh...well now i see the consperacy clearly....thanks for pointing it out that a 1 time deal of winning a lottery while holding the best odds is the league favoring the Leafs.

Amazing how tbis is the thought process on here yet Jersey/Philly/Dallas all jumping well up isn't viewed as anything more than luck.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:laugh: As long as Price is the goaltender in Montreal, There's zero chance the Habs get the #1 overall pick for Dahlin that's going to belong to Detroit.:)

You sure? Price is Mr Tank at the moment. I called him out in the Rangers series last year for letting in a few soft goals that killed our momentum and people were all over me and said, Price can't stop everything. The city of Montreal has a way of making the elite "Hero's" and the average "Zero's". We overpaid in the Subban contract and we overpaid in the Price contract too. Radulov tried but failed.

Price is one of the best goalies in the world. He's not the best and I am a die hard Habs fan too. His value has been blown out of proportion because of this "Habs are nothing without Price" thinking. It's complete BS because in previous years we had a great team defense and this was our strategy. This year, we lost Markov, Beaulieu, Emelin and replaced them with Mete, Alzner, Morrow. Schlemko would help our bottom 4D but he has not played a game yet.

How about this new saying... "Price is nothing without a good team defense". I want the Habs to give Lindgren more games. He's been impressive when we give him NHL games. I want to see a larger sample size.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs probably finished last or 2nd last and don't win the lottery. We get screwed like the Avs just did in the last draft.

Personally, I am a fan of changing the format. Once you get eliminated from Playoffs, you are now in the Draft points standings. The most points after playoff elimination gets the 1st overall pick and so on. Just imagine the drama towards the end of the season. Teams fighting for playoff spots and teams fighting for the 1st overall pick. This creates competition and avoids "tanking" which is ridiculous. Some people say the tanking still happens. Well in a way, it does but at least it's minimized and we don't get teams fighting for the playoffs playing against teams tanking towards the end of the year. Feburary, March, and April Hockey would get even more exciting to watch IMO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Habs probably finished last or 2nd last and don't win the lottery. We get screwed like the Avs just did in the last draft.

Personally, I am a fan of changing the format. Once you get eliminated from Playoffs, you are now in the Draft points standings. The most points after playoff elimination gets the 1st overall pick and so on. Just imagine the drama towards the end of the season. Teams fighting for playoff spots and teams fighting for the 1st overall pick. This creates competition and avoids "tanking" which is ridiculous. Some people say the tanking still happens. Well in a way, it does but at least it's minimized and we don't get teams fighting for the playoffs playing against teams tanking towards the end of the year. Feburary, March, and April Hockey would get even more exciting to watch IMO.
The trouble with this is what if you aren't eliminated until the last game?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The trouble with this is what if you aren't eliminated until the last game?

How is that different than now? You get the 15th pick? If there is a tie, it goes to Head to Head Matches or goal differential. I don't see much trouble here. I have yet to see anybody come up with a legit reason why this is not a better draft system than what we have now to be honest

I hate the draft lottery. Luck should have nothing to do with acquiring talents like Crosby, McDavid, Mathews, etc. I also hate that the draft lottery is determined behind the scenes. It's way too convenient for the NHL.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How is that different than now? You get the 15th pick? If there is a tie, it goes to Head to Head Matches or goal differential. I don't see much trouble here.
I'm not sure that's how I read the post. Maybe I'm wrong. Once a team is eliminated the point clock starts. So say team 3 teams are eliminated at the beginning of March , they collect 10 points, another few teams are eliminated mid-March, collect some points, but your team fights to the very end and collects no points because you were eliminated game 82. Like Tampa and NYI last year.
I would just give all non-playoff teams the same odds to win the lottery. There is no tanking, there is no being stuck in mediocrity hell with the 14,15 pick. Just draw all non-playoff teams from the hat. Equal opportunity. Points don't matter if you miss.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure that's how I read the post. Maybe I'm wrong. Once a team is eliminated the point clock starts. So say team 3 teams are eliminated at the beginning of March , they collect 10 points, another few teams are eliminated mid-March, collect some points, but your team fights to the very end and collects no points because you were eliminated game 82. Like Tampa and NYI last year.
I would just give all non-playoff teams the same odds to win the lottery. There is no tanking, there is no being stuck in mediocrity hell with the 14,15 pick. Just draw all non-playoff teams from the hat. Equal opportunity. Points don't matter if you miss.

- Once a team is officially eliminated from playoffs, the "Draft Points" clock starts.

- There will be teams that are officially eliminated early. I can't recall when this typically happens but I suspect it starts in March sometime. Not sure if it happens in February? What is going to happen is some teams will tank from Dec-March so they are eliminated from playoffs as early as possible (once they realize early on in the season that they are not a playoff team). This is really no different than what is happening now. The major difference is once eliminated, teams will want to win games instead of lose them. The March and April playoff rush will have another component added to the matrix.... Teams trying to win games to accumulate draft points. This is a good thing for the NHL IMO! Think about it. Image some of the last games of the season where you have two teams facing off against each other where one team needs 2pts to get in the playoffs and other the other team needs 2pts to get the #1 pick?

- As for the teams that are bubble playoff teams and get eliminated a few games before the playoffs. This is no different than the system we have today. They get the 10-15 draft seeds. That is the price you pay to be a "middle of the pack team".

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Are Habs fans okay?

There’s threads for tanking for Dahlin, and threads for trading away their first..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad