Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Man the first page was people viewing the rumour accurately, and civilly saying "Suzuki or Kotkaniemi would be necessary for Calgary but would be a non-starter" and that's where it should've ended. It's well established that there isn't a deal that makes sense for both parties.

Also f*** Eklund

Reactions: Mckay

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Obviously no deal than
Yes to me it doesn't make sense for the Habs to be moving either of those guys. That's a move you look at when you're a legit cup contender and need a final piece, not one you make when you're trying to rebuild on the fly. As an example it would make sense for a team like Colorado to move a top prospect for a top player.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
He is the best center prospect Montreal has developed since the 90s --- so yes. Kotkaniemi should also be untouchable because he is looking like he wants to improve more than any other player I've seen in recent memory in Montreal
Thats just wrong, koivu is better than both ur Cs will ever be.. I understand u guys havent had any good prospects the last decade so it might effect ur judgement. But yeah habs should def move one of their 2nd line center for a 1st line player if they can

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm worried he won't meet expectations. Hmmm, Drouin says hi.

Problem with Drouin is he has not played to over his AAV. At $5.5M, he's worth that. So it's not horrendous. Same with Anderson. Not worried one bit if he is healthy. The major question is does he become worth more than his AAV as time moves forward. Drouin has not so far and it's stall mode but certainly worth $5.5M or close to it

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
At this point, Gaudreau is not going anywhere, also Montreal and Calgary are horrible trading partners.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Habs don't have the pieces to make this work without gutting their organization.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
"that only leaves suzuki" isnt right; if you have to get a roster player out of there to make room for him on the wing, then Tatar Drouin orLehkonen could very well be on the trade.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
No one on Montreal should be untouchable
So a guy going into his second year on ELC and has strong 1C potential (2C floor) on a franchise who's been needing a legit 1C for decades, shouldn't untouchable for an LW elite talent, but who's small, soft and is only under contract for another two years, and who plays a position that's already covered?

Sure Johnny is more talented than anyone on Montreal right now, but Suzuki's impact will be greater to the franchise. Not to mention that having both Drouin and Johnny is not a good fit for a team purposely trying to get bigger and stronger.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Dumbest thing I've ever read.

If your team values a guy as a long term #1C, then you make that guy untouchable.

That’s a yikes from me. Little early to consider him a 1C after a single 41 point season playing against 2nd line opposition. Kid could be good. But absolutely no reason to consider him an untouchable, long term 1C at this juncture.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That’s a yikes from me. Little early to consider him a 1C after a single 41 point season playing against 2nd line opposition. Kid could be good. But absolutely no reason to consider him an untouchable, long term 1C at this juncture.

He's already good.
And he totally movable for a guy who is either equal or better in the short term (in 20-21), isn't taking more capspace for the next two seasons and is thus exempt from expansion draft.
I'm just not certain that player exist.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
That is ridiculous. Teams couldn't tell Matthews was a #1 centre before he even entered the NHL. Anyone who watches him play can see he has the tools and the hockey sense to be a #1 centre.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That is ridiculous. Teams couldn't tell Matthews was a #1 centre before he even entered the NHL. Anyone who watches him play can see he has the tools and the hockey sense to be a #1 centre.

No one is talking about Matthews. Why even bring him up.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

Matthews was drafted 1OA. Suzuki was passed over by 12 teams before being Vegas’ 2nd pick of the draft and then traded a year later for a declining Patches. Real apples to oranges comparison there.

I’m not saying Suzuki is a bad player, but I think it’s premature to call him a long term 1C. I wouldn’t classify him the same as guys like Matthews, Eichel, Point - never mind the tier zero players such as Crosby or McDavid.

Let’s see how his second season goes.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Habs have a lot of young players and doubtful they’re included in a deal.

Maybe,

Drouin + Romanov + Fleury

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Habs would regret it. The little guys in the NHL has peeked.

Well he's also peaked at 99 points, which is pretty good.

That being said, I just don't see why Calgary would do this. Gaudreau has a cheap contract, and they've just spent a lot of money gearing up.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Matthews was drafted 1OA. Suzuki was passed over by 12 teams before being Vegas’ 2nd pick of the draft and then traded a year later for a declining Patches. Real apples to oranges comparison there.

I’m not saying Suzuki is a bad player, but I think it’s premature to call him a long term 1C. I wouldn’t classify him the same as guys like Matthews, Eichel, Point - never mind the tier zero players such as Crosby or McDavid.

Let’s see how his second season goes.

Ehh.... Suzuki is VERY similar to Point (after one season).

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Not a MTL fan, just telling you how they view him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad