Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hard to imagine a deal for Gaudreau without one of Suzuki or Kotkaniemi in the deal. I just don't see the right pieces in MTL without one of those guys coming back.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Eklund rumor, but its the off-season so lets speculate.

"Following up on a lead that the Canadiens have talked "very seriously" in the last few days with the Flames regarding Johnny Gaudreau. This is interesting on several levels, not the least of which comes the news that people close to Gaudreau are saying he may have played his last game in Calgary..."

Habs arent exactly thin on the left side with Tatar Drouin and Lehkenon.

Their entire right side has just signed in Montreal, in Anderson- Toffoli and Gallagher (NMC) (ps. are the habs going to be sick this year?)

Flames need right side D help, dont see Petry or Weber being a fit in this case.

That really only leaves Suzuki...

I dont know. Dont rip me and get all butt hurt. Just guessing.

Thoughts?

My thoughts....

Montreal is at 12/7/2. Calgary at 13/6/2
both are tight against the cap.

This would need to be a cap neutral trade. To be cap neutral this likely involves multiple players

a framework could by

JG
Backlund

for

Drouin
Danault
Chiarot

balance it out with picks/prospects

The cap hits arre close

Calgary picks up a D

This could include ELC players on the roster. such as Suzuki for Vali as part of this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would 100% do Gaudreau for Kotkaniemi or Suzuki but I can't think of anything else, unless the Habs want to swap Gallagher for Gaudreau

Drouin would require a significant add

What team is going to give young centers like that for 2 years of Gaudreau?

Doubt Drouin is part of that deal. It's probably Tatar, +, + but I don't see this happening. Too difficult to make both teams happy with the return and also address each other cap space needs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sounds like he is, Hab fans claim he's pretty much untouchable.

Team needs. We have been trying to improve our centers for decades! He's pretty much untouchable when it comes down to another team asking for him where we don't get a center back. Gaudreau for 2 years has very good value but no team in the NHL is going to give a young promising center playing in a top 6 role in the NHL already.

We are not pretending Suzuki will be a 100 pt center either. But it's fair to say no team trades him if they had him on their team and you got to see what he can do as a 20 year old in his 1st season. Potential is high, very high. You get the point Im sure

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hahah he scored 40 points. Chill with the hyperbole

he was on pace for 48 pts over 82 games. He was by far our best player in the playoffs.

He is the best prospect the Habs have developed since the '90's since the Habs couldn't develop a center if their life depended on it. Plekanec is the only center we have developed that is worth anything since the '90's. So not a high bar to chose from other then Pleks since there's been nothing else of note.

Reactions: Gravity and Eegs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard to imagine a deal for Gaudreau without one of Suzuki or Kotkaniemi in the deal. I just don't see the right pieces in MTL without one of those guys coming back.

Hard to imagine any team trading two young centers like that for 2 years of Gaudreau. Don't agree? Name me one other team who likes Gaudreau, can use him on their roster, and is willing to trade 20 and 21 year old centers who showed top 6 ability already?

I get it, it's Gaudreau. However, this falls through very quickly if the demands are Suzuki or KK. Gaudreau is a 2 year rental. I know you don't like how that sounds but it's reality. Chances of extending him are there but no guarantees.

Habs interested in Gaudreau and it probably would be Tatar, Caufield, and a D prospect as our pitch. Don't like it? No hard feelings, just business.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No evidence but 7 years is far too long for a player that has never reached 50 points/season at 26.

Risks with both the short term deal and long term deal. Short term might burn you if he breaks out before the cap rises and long term at $5.5M? What are the risks? If he puts up 40-50 pts and 20-25 goals, it's not a risk at all. You worried about his shoulder? That's the only concern with me.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Is Suzuki that highly rated in Montreal?

He's that highly rated in many places. If you saw his play this season, making the rookie team, and then saw him amp it up further in the playoffs, you know he's a 200 ft gamer. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but he's shaping up to be a legit top six center for a lot of teams.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I would 100% do Gaudreau for Kotkaniemi or Suzuki but I can't think of anything else, unless the Habs want to swap Gallagher for Gaudreau

Drouin would require a significant add
Just can’t wait to go 7 million over the cap to get smaller and softer again. Add to that he’ll be gone in two years and it’s an easy no .

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
just like theyre not trading their captain or PK subban
Subban wasn’t a young prospect/ player at that time. Habs are still a retooling team that is in no position to trade its future in a win now scenario.

Obviously any player in the league can be traded(ala Gretzky).

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Risks with both the short term deal and long term deal. Short term might burn you if he breaks out before the cap rises and long term at $5.5M? What are the risks? If he puts up 40-50 pts and 20-25 goals, it's not a risk at all. You worried about his shoulder? That's the only concern with me.
I'm worried he won't meet expectations. Hmmm, Drouin says hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad