GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs. Anaheim Ducks 10/20/17 10:00pm EST TSN2, RDS (HD), TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

murray

Oct 6, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you're talking about only this season.

Price has always been cool as a cucumber. Plays in the toughest market in the NHL and has had all kinds of pressure on him. He's always been up to the task and rarely loses his cool.

That's certainly not the case right now though. He's rattled and upset. Very out of character for him.

I'd be upset if my GM traded away any semblance of mobility in front of me, and left me to deal with 5 piles of cold molasses and one young kid who's only here because we let someone we should've been pretty loyal to go to Russia.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
He's had very few bad streaks since 2011 though. 2013 he went through a rough patch near the end of a shortened year. Last season he had a rough patch for a little while. Other than that he's been mostly money in the bank.

He's been very consistent for a long time now.

Yeah he's been consistent, other than when he's hurt or playing like shit. I've loved the guy but 2013 was more than a rough patch near the end, he torpedoed the f***ing season. And last year he was AWFUL for a pretty nice sized stretch too. Also he's constantly got something nagging him and now locked up through his 30's at an insane contract. Awful. Even if he's good this year.

Reactions: themilosh

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
PMD withdrawal syndrome is affecting him too. What used to be Subban and Markov is now Alzner.
Sure. The D sucks there's no doubt about that. He's left exposed way too much.

But he's also letting in some goals that he doesn't normally let in. I don't know if it's a loss of confidence or what but he's not himself right now. Most people here had us in the playoffs based on him holding down the fort. Without him playing like an ace this club is in serious trouble.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you're talking about only this season.

Price has always been cool as a cucumber. Plays in the toughest market in the NHL and has had all kinds of pressure on him. He's always been up to the task and rarely loses his cool.

That's certainly not the case right now though. He's rattled and upset. Very out of character for him.

Bergevin traded away the players that typically defended him from the type of idiotic, negligent goals that have been scored on him all season. PK and Markov. I'd be pissed too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah he's been consistent, other than when he's hurt or playing like ****. I've loved the guy but 2013 was more than a rough patch near the end, he torpedoed the ****ing season. And last year he was AWFUL for a pretty nice sized stretch too. Also he's constantly got something nagging him and now locked up through his 30's at an insane contract. Awful. Even if he's good this year.
How did he torpedo 2013?

As for last year, he went into a slump. That's what happens with most goalies. The fact that we can sit here and actually remember the handful of times he's been cold speaks volumes as to how consistent he's been.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

-He faltered when challenged by Halak's superior play earlier in his career
-He's had trouble carrying the team when it counted the most: the playoffs (last playoff, Lundquist was the better goalie of the two)
-So far this season he has been outplayed by each and every goalie not named Lehner (They were pretty equal except for the shootouts - Price was dominant)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Sure. The D sucks there's no doubt about that. He's left exposed way too much.

But he's also letting in some goals that he doesn't normally let in. I don't know if it's a loss of confidence or what but he's not himself right now. Most people here had us in the playoffs based on him holding down the fort. Without him playing like an ace this club is in serious trouble.
It's a chicken and egg thing. It could have been Price out of focus first or if the team is wearing him out mentally. That doesn't matter now, the cycle is only amping up and it's making things worse.

Quite frankly, it's really hard to play like you're competing for something when you know that you've got trash in front of you and even your god form still won't be enough for a win.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Last chance to send Mete down and embrace the tank while not ruining the kid confidence. Send him play under a good system with good teammates. Finish last. Have a ''transitionnal'' year next year, put lot of marketing into it and it will be easy to sell. Have success in two years. Three top 10 picks in 4 years is enough to set the base for a good rebuild. Let's do this. 2020 isnt far from here.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
-He faltered when challenged by Halak's superior play earlier in his career
-He's had trouble carrying the team when it counted the most: the playoffs (last playoff, Lundquist was the better goalie of the two)
-So far this season he has been outplayed by each and every goalie not named Lehner (They were pretty equal except for the shootouts - Price was dominant)
- You're talking about a 22 year old goalie in that case. Most guys aren't even in the league at that point. If you have to go that far back, you're making my case for me.
- He's had no problem carrying the team. WTH are you talking about? He's gotten bad teams to 100 point seasons. Very few players can do that.
- Last year against Lundqvist he played just fine. Our team can't score.

As for this season... sure everyone agrees something's wrong. But just because something's wrong THIS season it doesn't mean that we re-write history on him. Give credit where it's due. He's been extremely consistent.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
How did he torpedo 2013?

As for last year, he went into a slump. That's what happens with most goalies. The fact that we can sit here and actually remember the handful of times he's been cold speaks volumes as to how consistent he's been.

He was awful in 2013? He was sliding all over the place, playing insanely aggressive. He had a sub .880 SV% the last month and sub .900 the last 2 months combined, in a compact schedule and he was pretty awful against Ottawa in the 1st round.

I've loved the guy, but c'mon. It was an awful contract. Last year he was a notch below his previous level, he's now in his 30's and he constantly has some kind of injury nagging.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's a chicken and egg thing. It could have been Price out of focus first or if the team is wearing him out mentally. That doesn't matter now, the cycle is only amping up and it's making things worse.

Quite frankly, it's really hard to play like you're competing for something when you know that you've got trash in front of you and even your god form still won't be enough for a win.
Agreed. But he's a legit superstar. He's got to overcome this. He's paid to overcome this...

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
idc how good the goalie is this is why you dont put this much of your cap space into them.. your better off with 2 average goalies and money to spend for better defense.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He was awful in 2013? He was sliding all over the place, playing insanely aggressive. He had a sub .880 SV% the last month and sub .900 the last 2 months combined, in a compact schedule and he was pretty awful against Ottawa in the 1st round.
He had a great year until the end of the season when he slumped. He was voted best goalie in the East that season two games into his slide.

In a normal year you can recover from it. We're talking about a period of about seven games over the course of six seasons man. And no he didn't torpedo anything. He got hurt against Ottawa and we were ahead in game six when he left the game.
I've loved the guy, but c'mon. It was an awful contract. Last year he was a notch below his previous level, he's now in his 30's and he constantly has some kind of injury nagging.
If he plays like this, you could turn out to be right. But I have zero problem with him getting that contract. If he pulls a Claude Giroux and disappears, you can't predict that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
idc how good the goalie is this is why you dont put this much of your cap space into them.. your better off with 2 average goalies and money to spend for better defense.
Again, Price's contract isn't the problem. First he's not even making ten right now. Secondly we have 8 mil in cap space just sitting there.. so how the hell is Price's contract the issue here?

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
- You're talking about a 22 year old goalie in that case. Most guys aren't even in the league at that point. If you have to go that far back, you're making my case for me.
- He's had no problem carrying the team. WTH are you talking about? He's gotten bad teams to 100 point seasons. Very few players can do that.
- Last year against Lundqvist he played just fine. Our team can't score.

As for this season... sure everyone agrees something's wrong. But just because something's wrong THIS season it doesn't mean that we re-write history on him. Give credit where it's due. He's been extremely consistent.

He was young. So was Halak. And yes, Carey had the opportunity to shine and he did during the regular season. It was never conclusive during the playoffs though. Last year against Lundquist, I agree he played "just fine". Too bad Lundquist played better (btw, NYR's offense wasn't shining either)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He was young. So was Halak. And yes, Carey had the opportunity to shine and he did during the regular season. It was never conclusive during the playoffs though.
Again, the fact that you have to go back to one season, eight years ago when the guy was a kid only reinforces what I'm saying. He's been very consistent for a long time.
Last year against Lundquist, I agree he played "just fine". Too bad Lundquist played better (btw, NYR's offense wasn't shining either)
Sorry but no. Our team makes every goalie look like a Vezina winner. I don't accept the "outduelled" argument. We can't score, that has nothing to do with our goalie who let in less than two goals a game.

We struggled to score 2 goals a game from January on. So please don't tell me that we got outduelled. Our team can't freaking score and that hasn't changed this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad