Montreal Canadiens all world team

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Doug Harvey says hello.

I mean Harvey is one of the best all-time D, but Béliveau/Richard/Lafleur are all some of the best all-time forwards and all have more common people legend status, especially in QC.

Lafleur, Beliveau, both Richard brothers, Lemaire, Geoffrion, Lapointe, Harvey, Morenz, Serge Savard, Plante and Roy would all be the best QC players on most teams.

I'd even say that is a conservative list.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I mean Harvey is one of the best all-time D, but Béliveau/Richard/Lafleur are all some of the best all-time forwards and all have more common people legend status, especially in QC.

Lafleur, Beliveau, both Richard brothers, Lemaire, Geoffrion, Lapointe, Harvey, Morenz, Serge Savard, Plante and Roy would all be the best QC players on most teams.

I'd even say that is a conservative list.
I get the mystique. But Doug Harvey is every bit the player that Richard and Beliveau are and he’s actually better than Lafleur. He’s got a really good case for being the best Hab of all time. I have Richard above him but honestly it could go either way. He was incredibly dominant and revolutionized the position. At a minimum I think he deserves a mention.

2nd best blueliner ever. The man deserves our respect. :)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I get the mystique. But Doug Harvey is every bit the player that Richard and Beliveau are and he’s actually better than Lafleur. He’s got a really good case for being the best Hab of all time. I have Richard above him but honestly it could go either way. He was incredibly dominant and revolutionized the position. At a minimum I think he deserves a mention.

2nd best blueliner ever. The man deserves our respect. :)

I do agree he deserves respect, but QC is such a loaded category for Montreal that no one will be perfectly happy with a list except their own.

We also all know there's also one more factor in that category.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I do agree he deserves respect, but QC is such a loaded category for Montreal that no one will be perfectly happy with a list except their own.

We also all know there's also one more factor in that category.
Harvey might be the 5th best player of all time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He could. Other people would rank him below Beliveau and Richard.

For example, the HoH board in 2008 had:
Richard 6
Beliveau 8
Harvey 9
Morenz 10
Plante 12
Lafleur 15
Roy 16
He’s 6th in the original Hockey News 100 behind Richard which is where I have him. But I could be convinced to have him fifth. He’s an incredible player. I should note that I don’t have an issue with someone taking Beliveau or Richard over him as well. They’re all right there with each other.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I thought of grabovski but he represented Belarus in international competition.

By that standard, perhaps I shouldn't list zubrus but he represented both Lithuania and Russia.
Grabovski is in no way German, just happened to be born in a Soviet military base in the GDR.

Howie Morenz had all-German grandparents.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
5th is very fluid. You could make the argument for a few players. And YES Harvey would be one of them.
Definitelly not. Great player but not in that stratosphere. Not sure he makes the top 10 let alone 5 and there's nothing wrong with that. That's the best of the best

BC : Carey Price
Alberta : Brendan Gallagher
Saskatchewan : Elmer Lach
Manitoba : Tom Johnson
Ontario : Larry Robinson/Ken Dryden
Québec : Béliveau/Richard/Lafleur
NB : Jake Allen
NS : Bobby Smith
PEI : John Chabot

Alaska : Scott Gomez
Arizona : Jesse Ylonen
California : Craig Ferguson
Connecticut : Max Pacioretty
Florida : Blake Geoffrion
Georgia : Éric Chouinard???
Illinois : Chris Chelios
Indiana : Alfie Turcotte
Maryland : Jeff Halpern
Massachusetts : Chris Nilan
Michigan : Jeff Petry
Minnesota : Tom Kurvers
Missouri : Chris Wideman
Nebraska : Johnny Matz
New Hampshire : Kent Carlson
New Jersey : Paul Mara
New York : Mathieu Schneider
North Dakota : Fern Headley
Ohio : Bryan Smolinski
Oklahoma : Jon Merrill
Pennsylvania : George Parros
Rhode Island : Jayden Struble
Vermont : John LeClair
Virginia : Eric Weinrich
Washington : David Wilkie
Wisconsin : Caufield/Galchenyuk
Good work on going through the Provinces and States

Reactions: WatchfulElm

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Can you really pass up the opportunity to have Lafleur and Kovalchuk on the same team?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Can you really pass up the opportunity to have Lafleur and Kovalchuk on the same team?

Lafleur was great but that speaks to the number of Canadian legends on this franchise. You can't really go wrong.

Kovalchuk was just here for a cup of coffee in his late 30s. No way he was as impact in a montreal uniform as say Markov or kovalev.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Definitelly not. Great player but not in that stratosphere. Not sure he makes the top 10 let alone 5 and there's nothing wrong with that. That's the best of the best
???? I can’t believe I’m reading this. Especially in the Hab forum.

He placed ahead of Beliveau in the Hockey 100 list and was 6th behind Richard at 5th.

The Norris trophy was basically invented for him and if it had existed earlier he’d have won it 8 times. He revolutionized the position and quarterbacked a power play so dominant the league had to change the rules.

There’s absolutely no way this guy isn’t in the same class as Richard and Le Gros Bill. He’s still widely regarded as the 2nd best blueliner ever and is every bit the player they were. If he’s not in the top ten neither are they.

Last edited:

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Lafleur was great but that speaks to the number of Canadian legends on this franchise. You can't really go wrong.

Kovalchuk was just here for a cup of coffee in his late 30s. No way he was as impact in a montreal uniform as say Markov or kovalev.
I mean OP just asked for "best player from each country to play for the habs." Kovalchuk is undoubtedly the best the best russia hockey player to ever play for the habs.

If we're asking "best player from each country while they played for the habs" obviously a different answer!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
BC : Carey Price
Alberta : Brendan Gallagher
Saskatchewan : Elmer Lach
Manitoba : Tom Johnson
Ontario : Larry Robinson/Ken Dryden
Québec : Béliveau/Richard/Lafleur
NB : Jake Allen
NS : Bobby Smith
PEI : John Chabot

Alaska : Scott Gomez
Arizona : Jesse Ylonen
California : Craig Ferguson
Connecticut : Max Pacioretty
Florida : Blake Geoffrion
Georgia : Éric Chouinard???
Illinois : Chris Chelios
Indiana : Alfie Turcotte
Maryland : Jeff Halpern
Massachusetts : Chris Nilan
Michigan : Jeff Petry
Minnesota : Tom Kurvers
Missouri : Chris Wideman
Nebraska : Johnny Matz
New Hampshire : Kent Carlson
New Jersey : Paul Mara
New York : Mathieu Schneider
North Dakota : Fern Headley
Ohio : Bryan Smolinski
Oklahoma : Jon Merrill
Pennsylvania : George Parros
Rhode Island : Jayden Struble
Vermont : John LeClair
Virginia : Eric Weinrich
Washington : David Wilkie
Wisconsin : Caufield/Galchenyuk
Wow, nice research. Well done.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I mean OP just asked for "best player from each country to play for the habs." Kovalchuk is undoubtedly the best the best russia hockey player to ever play for the habs.

If we're asking "best player from each country while they played for the habs" obviously a different answer!

Yeah I guess I did say that which is a mistake on my part.

My purpose was more to identify their actual value as Habs players rather than their overall brand value.

Reactions: ginomini

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

All I’m saying is that Harvey might be the best Hab player ever. And in the list I saw there were a ton of Canadians mentioned and he was left off in Quebec.

If we’re going to talk about the all time best who played for us, he’s right there. He’s got to be listed in Quebec with the others. The man had a better career than freaking Guy Lafleur. That is insanely good.

I’m just calling it out for people. This guy was amazing.

Last edited:

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
All I’m saying is that Harvey might be the best Hab player ever. And in the list I saw there were a ton of Canadians mentioned and he was left off in Quebec.

If we’re going to talk about the all time best who played for us, he’s right there. He’s got to be listed in Quebec with the others. The man had a better career than freaking Guy Lafleur. That is insanely good.

I’m just calling it out for people. This guy was amazing.

Agree with you there, it has to be The Rocket, Harvey and Béliveau in that order

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I have it in that order but honestly they can be in any order. Same class of player.

To be honest i would have a hard time removing the Rocket from the first place but yeah i can see someone choosing Harvey beceause he was a Defenseman, but to me no way Béliveau ahead of the Rocket and i loved both

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad