Gonchar
Kovalev
Markov
Semin
Radulov
Malakhov
Samsonov
Dadonov

Yeah, I meant it to be about their impact while in Montreal.

I picked Markov over kovalev because the Habs record without Markov speaks for itself, and he was just more dependable night in and night out compared to kovalev who had a great peak in Montreal but he could also be very bad for certain stretches to the point where Gainey wanted him to take a leave from the team for a while.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Naslund is the runaway winner is his category, the rest is an embarrassment to 35 years of ineptitude of scouting that country.

Yeah, it's weird. The most impactful swedes after naslund were like popovic, sundstorm and Dackell. It's just really strange.

The Habs have rarely used high picks on swedes though. DLR was a second rounder. I can't recall any first round selections from that country.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Yeah, it's weird. The most impactful swedes after naslund were like popovic, sundstorm and Dackell. It's just really strange.

The Habs have rarely used high picks on swedes though. DLR was a second rounder. I can't recall any first round selections from that country.
You can actually make a thesis that the downfall of the Habs in the 90s was to miss the boat on the European scouting of Scandinavia and the east block when others started to scour them.

We were late to the party and it clashed with the Habs as being THE trendsetters of the league to become a monolith stuck in conservatism when it came to forming a team and paying them what the market became. We were the team that didn’t go outside our NA rear view and we didn’t use our pockets to our advantage… meaning we were stuck in place. Geezzzzzus don’t get me started :laugh:

Reactions: red devil

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pleky would be number 1 for Czechia but I would put Svoboda ahead of Hamrlik for number 2

Svoboda definitely crossed my mind. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased because I barely remember Svoboda as a hab.

You can actually make a thesis that the downfall of the Habs in the 90s was to miss the boat on the European scouting of Scandinavia and the east block when others started to scour them.

We were late to the party and it clashed with the Habs as being THE trendsetters of the league to become a monolith stuck in conservatism when it came to forming a team and paying them what the market became. We were the team that didn’t go outside our NA rear view and we didn’t use our pockets to our advantage… meaning we were stuck in place. Geezzzzzus don’t get me started :laugh:

I think the Habs were perhaps too far ahead of the curve. Didn't they offer contracts to tretiak and fetisov back when those guys were in their prime?

But yeah, once the soviet union actually fell, Montreal was noticeably void of Russians except for Petrov.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Svoboda definitely crossed my mind. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased because I barely remember Svoboda as a hab.

I think the Habs were perhaps too far ahead of the curve. Didn't they offer contracts to tretiak and fetisov back when those guys were in their prime?

But yeah, once the soviet union actually fell, Montreal was noticeably void of Russians except for Petrov.
Tretiak yes, trendsetters we were! But we stopped… and cash was the reason why…

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

The Habs by far best 1st round pick in 1990's was Koivu and all the Canadians and Americans they picked in the 1990's, range from fairly underwhelming to brutal

Reactions: Gustave and Habs13

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Kjell Dahlin

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Habs by far best 1st round pick in 1990's was Koivu and all the Canadians and Americans they picked in the 1990's, range from fairly underwhelming to brutal

It got a big better towards the latter 90s. Ryder and Ribeiro were good although Ribeiro had other problems that the team had to deal with.

Theodore was a good one in 1994, I believe?

Edit: never mind. It seems we are talking about 1st rounders only.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Canada I’d put both Richard and Harvey ahead of Beliveau. Beliveau is a very respectable choice but I think the other two are better.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

1st: 1
2nd: 6
3rd: 4
4th: 5
5th: 2
6th: 5
7th: 2
8+: 2

Lots of late picks but also a lot of 2nd round picks.

The 1st round pick was Jan Ingman in 1981 who was a pretty successful Swedish league player with 3 Cup wins, but he never came to NA (and likely wouldn't have been an impact player).

The 2nd round pick in order of success:
Mats Naslund
DLR
Joni Ikonen (Finnish, but drafted from Sweden)
Lars Eriksson
Jacob Olofsson
Sebastian Collberg

Reactions: Gustave

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
BC : Carey Price
Alberta : Brendan Gallagher
Saskatchewan : Elmer Lach
Manitoba : Tom Johnson
Ontario : Larry Robinson/Ken Dryden
Québec : Béliveau/Richard/Lafleur
NB : Jake Allen
NS : Bobby Smith
PEI : John Chabot

Alaska : Scott Gomez
Arizona : Jesse Ylonen
California : Craig Ferguson
Connecticut : Max Pacioretty
Florida : Blake Geoffrion
Georgia : Éric Chouinard???
Illinois : Chris Chelios
Indiana : Alfie Turcotte
Maryland : Jeff Halpern
Massachusetts : Chris Nilan
Michigan : Jeff Petry
Minnesota : Tom Kurvers
Missouri : Chris Wideman
Nebraska : Johnny Matz
New Hampshire : Kent Carlson
New Jersey : Paul Mara
New York : Mathieu Schneider
North Dakota : Fern Headley
Ohio : Bryan Smolinski
Oklahoma : Jon Merrill
Pennsylvania : George Parros
Rhode Island : Jayden Struble
Vermont : John LeClair
Virginia : Eric Weinrich
Washington : David Wilkie
Wisconsin : Caufield/Galchenyuk

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Gallagher is more of a BC guy. He identifies himself from delta, B.C. I think he moved to BC at an early age. His dad was was employed by the Vancouver giants as a strength and conditioning guy.

Off the top of my head, the Alberta name that comes to mind is Sheldon Souray, but now we are getting into a realm where I don't know much about if we are splitting into provinces.

For Ohio, I'd go James wisniewski over smolinski.

Wisniewski was dynamite for thr Habs in a year where the Habs lost Markov long term. He played a bigger role than smoke, and he was a primary part of a powerplay that finished 7th in the league despite not having Markov.

Wisniewski got a big contract off of that year. I wish the Habs would have kept him but with Markov coming back, and the cap restraints, it just wasn't going to work.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Doug Harvey says hello.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Gallagher is more of a BC guy. He identifies himself from delta, B.C. I think he moved to BC at an early age. His dad was was employed by the Vancouver giants as a strength and conditioning guy.

Off the top of my head, the Alberta name that comes to mind is Sheldon Souray, but now we are getting into a realm where I don't know much about if we are splitting into provinces.

For Ohio, I'd go James wisniewski over smolinski.

Wisniewski was dynamite for thr Habs in a year where the Habs lost Markov long term. He played a bigger role than smoke, and he was a primary part of a powerplay that finished 7th in the league despite not having Markov.

Wisniewski got a big contract off of that year. I wish the Habs would have kept him but with Markov coming back, and the cap restraints, it just wasn't going to work.
John Ferguson was from BC and it is definitely a possibility for his tenure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad