Jonathan Drouin
Ben Chiarot
Kaiden Guhle
1st round pick

:flames

Johnny Gaudreau
Noah Hanifin
3rd round pick(EDM)
Personally if I were Calgary I wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole, I’d say hanifin has more upside than guhle, drouin is an okay player but I don’t think drouin and a first gets him because I’m sure this proposal has the intention of resigning him Jonny also, chariot is an okay Defenceman doesn’t have a ton of value, I think montreal needs better prospects or pieces going the other way

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Sure have 2/4 of our valuable assets for peanuts. I don’t understand Montreal’s obsession with Hanifin. He’s not going to be traded. He has 4 years on his deal.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
:habs

Jonathan Drouin
Ben Chiarot
Kaiden Guhle
1st round pick

:flames

Johnny Gaudreau
Noah Hanifin
3rd round pick(EDM)
Its really not a terrible offer. Drop the Oilers 3rd and change the 1st to 2022. Then I think there's definitely something to talk about

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
We suck, so let's trade our best forward and best defenseman in the same deal? That will make us better I'm sure!

Reactions: Cogburn

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
No interest in Drouin or Chiarot, especially with their contracts. The other 2 pieces might turn out good or might end up being nothing.

Can't see Hanifin getting moved unless it's an overpayment, he can be part of a retool easy enough. Don't know what Gaudreau will get but hopefully it isn't lesser players with not so great contracts.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
As much as I like Drouin, this is bad for CGY (Habs fan here).

I believe CGY will look at last year's Hall package as a comaprable if they can't extend him and hence they try to trade him next year. Regarding Hanifin, I doubt he is traded except if management thinks his value will be dropping in the near future : if CGY wants to contend, he is a solid top 4 right now, if they rebuild and want to contend in 4years, he still will be in his prime and maybe with maturity and experience he could be a top2 Dman.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It's a bad trade for Calgary but also not one I feel Montreal should do.

Short term: Hanifin isn't really an improvement on Chiarot. For the next 2 years I'd prefer having Chiarot. Nothing about Hanifin's game is screaming 'he's about to breakout' to me, he seems to be slowly improving each year. So for me I see it as Gaudreau for Drouin + Guhle + a first. I don't like Gaudreau enough to pay that. I don't feel he's consistent enough, his playstyle wouldn't mesh with the Habs immediately, the size doesn't matchup, he hasn't performed well in the playoffs etc. I wouldn't want to give up 2 firsts + Drouin for him. Some might be bias because I actually like Calgary and have been frustrated by his line more nights than I've been content with them but yeah, I'd say no.

Long term: Chiarot + Gaudreau are rentals+ a year. The long term trade implications are essentially 3 years+ of Hanifin for 2 years+ of Drouin+ Guhle+ a first. I'd pass.

Calgary's perspective seems quite simple, are we better now? No? Okay, will these pieces be better in the future than what we gave up? Also no? Pass.

Imo Calgary's needs are pretty simple. They need an improvement over their current centre situation, they need to find Gio's replacement. Their prospect cupboard is quite bare too. They would essentially be taking their best asset to get any of these holes filled and filling none of these holes.

If I were Calgary, I'd be looking at the Stone or Pacioretty trades as a comparable for Gaudreau. That's a pick, roster player, and high end prospect. Brannstrom gas been a disappointment but he was seen as a better prospect that Guhle at the time of trade, Suzuki has been amazing but be was seen as more valuable than a first at the time of trade. Calgary should get more for Gaudreau in terms of usefulness, Caufield + lesser add-ons would be a more comparable (though Calgary doesn't ask for Caufield since he's a winger, Montreal won't trade Caufield for a rental).

So both sides end up worse because of it.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No interest in Gaudreau and Hanifin. Good players, just wouldn’t want to spend the required assets to acquire them. Gaudreau is walking after next season and Hanifin is grossly overvalued imo.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I doubt that Calgary would come even close to this. And as much as I like Hanafin and especially his $5M for four more years, only one more year of Gaudreau who is small and having his second subpar season production wise in a row....meh. I mean if/once Caufield joins the club you suddenly would have what 4 forwards under 5'10? I don't think size is as important as it once was but having that many small guys would be an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad