Rumor: Montreal and Columbus talking.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If the Canadiens are talking a trade with the Jackets, I personally would have to believe that a defenseman would be in the works. While on paper they're fine; at the close of the year they only have three of their current eight defensemen under contract (Gorges, Emelin, Drewiske). At the top of their list of priorities there will be getting P.K. Subban locked up long-term; which certainly won't be cheap. After that, they are set to lose Markov, Bouillion, Murray, and Diaz ... of those four, it's likely that they'll either keep one (most likely Murray?), or sign a free agent ... after that, I think they turn to a younger player such as Nathan Beaulieu or Jared Tinordi to fill out their lineup.

My point in all of this rambling? Maybe an expendable bottom pairing guy for us (Nikitin, Savard, Erixon) could be a huge pickup for them, as all are fairly young and could possibly be retained for less than a free agent would for Montreal.

If they're interested in Umberger, as is rumored, then that's great ... but the Jackets will have to take back one of those salaries if they're going to get rid of the albatross deal that is RJU. If this rumor is true, then I think that any of the "mighty mites" for Montreal could be in play ... be it Briere, Desharnais, or even Gionta.

All that being said, I highly doubt anything other than a minor deal comes from this.

Diaz is reportedly close to signing and the Habs almost certainly must sign Subban to a huge deal. Markov is the wild card in the equation. He'll be 35 in a few weeks and has been major injury prone, but has been in great form this year. Length of deal could prove to be a big sticking point.

Buillion is almost a certainty to not be back and Murray is a very easily replaceable type. Jarred Tinordi will likely be ready for the NHL next season as perhaps could Nathan Beaulieu.

That said, if a defenseman like Erixon might be an interesting prospect to the Habs. A straight up deal for Desharnais could benefit both teams.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Any interest in Plekanec? He's 31 and becomes a UFA in 16/17. Cap hit is $5 million and has a motified NTC so he would have to waive as well to come to Columbus. He would bring in offense. In 30 games so far, he has 10 goals and 10 assists. I see no reason why the Habs would deal him but if the suppose rumour of Habs being HIGH on Umberger is true, then maybe they would.

Plekanec for Umberger and Nikitin/Savard? If the Habs asked for Umberger and Erixon, would you do it?

I'd do it (any of the combos), but Habs GM Marc Bergevin would have to go into hiding if he dumped Plekanec for RJU and any of the mentioned CBJ dmen.

Plekanec can generate good offensive numbers (seasons of 70 and 59 points), is a great penalty killer, and usually draws the toughest defensive assignments. He's a very versatile player-probably the Canadiens best overall forward-so a trade for RJU would not be even a remote possibility, imo.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
Montreal has a few assets I would love to acquire...

Josh Gorges
David Desharnais
Sebastian Collberg

I am glad we are talking to them.

Ps not that I am recommending this as a move but if I were a GM of an expansion team I would would be sure as hell looking to pick up Peter Budaj in in the expansion expansion draft.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Josh Gorges
David Desharnais
Sebastian Collberg

Ps not that I am recommending this as a move but if I were a GM of an expansion team I would would be sure as hell looking to pick up Peter Budaj in in the expansion expansion draft.

Budaj has been awesome so far this year. He and Price make a great tandem.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I know Gaborik is on the IR, but this could be foundation building for a trade immediately after activation. Gaboik's expiring contract (particularly if we eat salary for the remainder of the year) allows Montreal to clear a bunch of $ off their books for the off season where they have to sign Eller, Subban, and Markov all of whom will likely be making more than 4 million (with Markov and subban well above that point)

My guess is that whichever of those guys the Habs don't want to pay is the one we are targeting. On the other hand if Umberger really is the target than maybe we swap for David Desharnais. Helps the Habs in the size department, while we add skill on a less expensive deal.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What does Mayor Coleman think of Umbie? Could be the key to the deal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If RJ is playing 17 minutes a night with a 30-35 minute PROD, he's overpaid. If he's playing 19 minutes a night and a 25-27 minute PROD, not so much.

Since our top six is starting to fill out and it's looking less and less like he'll be playing more than 16 or 17 minutes a night, at best, he starts to look more and more like a "luxury" (if anyone could describe RJ as that) that can chip in with some decent secondary scoring from the bottom six.

He has a NTC and he's probably not going to be easy to move, if we decided we wanted to.

Not sure RJ is a great fit for this team anymore, but I'm not sure he's going anywhere either. As far as this "rumor", we really don't have any insight on what is being discussed. Which basically means we end up talking about who we want to dump (which is usually what the other fans don't want) and what we would like from their team (which is usually what the other team doesn't want to move). Luckily this seems pretty tame thus far, thankfully. If they are high on RJ, I have no issue doing what we can to move him to Montreal while retaining the least amount of salary as possible (either via a roster player that we don't really want or just retaining a portion of his salary). If Montreal wants Gaborik, and we want to move him (which I think we would be ok with), then the plot thickens. Other players that we might want might suddenly become available.

As far as what I want and what can help us; from Montreal. Realistically (recognize the importance of this word), not much. Our side has addressed a couple of players, but I don't seem Montreal in a hurry to move them.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If the Canadiens are talking a trade with the Jackets, I personally would have to believe that a defenseman would be in the works. While on paper they're fine; at the close of the year they only have three of their current eight defensemen under contract (Gorges, Emelin, Drewiske). At the top of their list of priorities there will be getting P.K. Subban locked up long-term; which certainly won't be cheap. After that, they are set to lose Markov, Bouillion, Murray, and Diaz ... of those four, it's likely that they'll either keep one (most likely Murray?), or sign a free agent ... after that, I think they turn to a younger player such as Nathan Beaulieu or Jared Tinordi to fill out their lineup.

My point in all of this rambling? Maybe an expendable bottom pairing guy for us (Nikitin, Savard, Erixon) could be a huge pickup for them, as all are fairly young and could possibly be retained for less than a free agent would for Montreal.

If they're interested in Umberger, as is rumored, then that's great ... but the Jackets will have to take back one of those salaries if they're going to get rid of the albatross deal that is RJU. If this rumor is true, then I think that any of the "mighty mites" for Montreal could be in play ... be it Briere, Desharnais, or even Gionta.

All that being said, I highly doubt anything other than a minor deal comes from this.

I agree. They are going to want 1 or 2 young, cheap defensemen so they can afford to keep Subban.

RickS

Sep 19, 2005
Umby wouldn't waive his NTC, my girlfriend works for a high end interior decorator and they are doing a huge project at his house, he wants to retire here.

My wife is "a high end interior decorator " who has worked on Umberger's house, as well as herbstreit's house in UA,. Herbie and his wife spent a bundle on their place, right before he moved to Nashville. Umby may want to retire here, but redecorating is not necessarily a sign of long-term commitment. Then again, it could be. :dunno

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd do it (any of the combos), but Habs GM Marc Bergevin would have to go into hiding if he dumped Plekanec for RJU and any of the mentioned CBJ dmen.

Plekanec can generate good offensive numbers (seasons of 70 and 59 points), is a great penalty killer, and usually draws the toughest defensive assignments. He's a very versatile player-probably the Canadiens best overall forward-so a trade for RJU would not be even a remote possibility, imo.

If he did that, I don't think that there is anywhere on the planet MB would be safe....LOL!

Our defense is fine. Tinordi, Murray have the size. Beaulieu, Subban, Marko and Diaz can move the puck. Unless you have a young monster that can kill on contact in front of the net, there is not much there to talk about.

Our goaltending is fine. Price is not available at any price.

We need shut down forwards with size and grit. Everything starts and ends there. We have enough scoring, but we need to shut down the bigger opposing forwards and take pressure off our smaller defenseman. Breaking face abilities are welcomed extras.

Picks, DD, Leblanc, Bourque, White, probably Gionta/Briere available. DD is skilled but too small in a team full with smurfs. Bourque is skilled but inconsistent. Gionta/Briere are not going to do much for you if you don't see the playoffs. White is a fourth liner that is really good at penalty killing. Leblanc is an unknown. He has stalled but he has the tools. He may turn out to be a top 6, or not. I'm available but I come with three sofa cushions on my butt because that's where I am most of the time.

So, tell me, how do we help each other? Remember, size, grit, shut down.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
My wife is "a high end interior decorator " who has worked on Umberger's house, as well as herbstreit's house in UA,. Herbie and his wife spent a bundle on their place, right before he moved to Nashville. Umby may want to retire here, but redecorating is not necessarily a sign of long-term commitment. Then again, it could be. :dunno

Herbsteit was forced to leave town because everywhere his wife went, someone was telling her how he cheated on her with someone else...haha, Eff Trader Buckeye

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I thought it was "I love talking to French Canadians!"

:laugh: No, but I love Canadian women and thus, love to French Canadians?

Grumpy-Cat1.jpg

Sorry ... bad joke!

Another thing I was thinking about is the NHL ready goaltender that the Canadiens have playing in the AHL ... I wonder what the bounty would be for a guy like Dustin Tokarski, who could certainly be a nice piece to have in the system, should one of the McGoalies fail.

RickS

Sep 19, 2005
Herbsteit was forced to leave town because everywhere his wife went, someone was telling her how he cheated on her with someone else...haha, Eff Trader Buckeye

Yep, and people knocking on his door at all hours to complain about something he said about the Buckeyes. I think they were fixing it up to get ready to sell, because we heard the rumors before Terri was hired to work on it.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

Josh Gorges
David Desharnais
Sebastian Collberg

If Habs add a pick in that package, and maybe Beaulieu, could it become appealing to you for Foligno and Tyutin?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If Habs add a pick in that package, and maybe Beaulieu, could it become appealing to you for Foligno and Tyutin?

With Murray, Erixon, and Savard already competing for space on the blueline, what value would trading away one of our veteran defensemen and a key forward be, if the return is just another inexperienced defenseman?

That's an NHL14 trade ... not a real life NHL trade. Someone has to play for us now ... you want a package like that? Let's talk Brendan Gallagher.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We'd have to add, but Kek drafted Eller so it's a good bet that he'd be somebody of interest.

Err... a borderline cap dump for our 2nd line centre with upside does not even remotely appeal. It'd need to be a damn fine plus. This is coming from someone who considers Columbus his #3/4 team (tied with the Isles).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I hope you all are watching the games. RJ has actually played a pretty good 2-way game this year. He's starting to chip in the goals too. RJ, Johansen and Foligno are playing very, very well. I'd like to see this team together if possible (healthy) before making any significant moves.

That said, I've been a huge Eller fan since his draft year. I think he would be a very solid CBJ player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad