Rumor: Montreal and Columbus talking.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I don't see Umberger being moved but wouldn't be sad to see him go. See him becoming a very expensive 4th liner when Horton returns.

I think it'll be something minor. I don't think they're looking to add defensemen off the top of my head, but they've been connected to Savard for a long time. (and going beyond the whole french player thing)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
For what it's worth (not much), I find it really interesting that Umberger, with his local connections, isn't being marketed more. Maybe it's a sign that the club views him as fairly expendable.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
I like the thought of ridding ourselves of Umberger. The production for the contract he has is not even close to exceptable, imo. I don't want to lose Savard but I could deal with it.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Murray - Subban will be fine pairing for us:sarcasm:

But on serious note can't see us traiding any forwards if there isn't a forward coming back.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Interesting.

It could be a perceived bad contract swap if the rumor of Montreal's interest in RJU is true. That would be David Desharnais ($3.5m/year-3 years after this season to run) for RJU.

Montreal is considered to be "too small" by many to make a sustained playoff run. In addition to the 5'7" Desharnais (really closer to 5'5"), they have 5'7" Brian Gionta, and 5'9" inchers Daniel Briere and Brendan Gallagher are in the forward mix.

Desharnais is on a tear which started in Columbus with a SO game winner. He has 9 points (3g6a) in his last 8 games is +5 and has is 2/2 in the SO. Prior to that, he was in a miserable stretch of 1 assist in 20 games. The public clamor against Desharnais got so strong that the Montreal mayor-elect tweeted that Desharnais should be sent to the AHL.

Each team sports a solid defense, though the Canadiens could certainly be in the market for a top 4 Dman. The top pairing of Subban and Markov is better than anything the CBJ have, but a few of the CBJ dman (perhaps JJ, Tyutin or Nikitin) could be part of a trade which doesn't center on perceived bad contracts.

I think Desharnais would be a highly valuable player on the Bluejackets. He is a very nifty passer who could help the Jackets generate much needed offense. He had 60 points in 11-12 and 28 points in 48 games last year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=73254

He is, most importantly, a Cincinnati Cyclones alumnus, and I would be ridiculously overjoyed to see him on the Jackets:laugh: But, more seriously, A DD for RJU swap would be a fantastic upgrade for the Jackets, IMHO.

Last edited:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hm, I don't feel too hot about an Umberger-Desharnais swap. As much flak as RJ gets, he still takes on the toughest opposition, kills penalties, works hard in the dirtiest areas of the ice and should be good for 45-50 points. Guys like Kopecky and Stalberg are $3M players, RJ is worth at least $4M in the open market. He's not overpaid by much, if at all.

Desharnais might come at a friendlier price tag, but if he's not scoring he's not useful at all. We could use another passer in the top 6, though.

In a healthy world:

Foligno - Johansen - Horton
Dubinsky - Desharnais - Gaborik

???

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In a healthy world:

Foligno - Johansen - Horton
Dubinsky - Desharnais - Gaborik

???

Calvert - Ansimov - Atkinson
Jenner - Dmac - Comeau

That's a pretty solid depth chart. Mix of speed, size, grit, experience and skill.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
l.

Desharnais might come at a friendlier price tag, but if he's not scoring he's not useful at all. We could use another passer in the top 6, though.

Desharnais is no shutdown guy, but he's very responsible defensively. In 27 games, he's only been on the ice for 8 ES goals against. The narrative on him by his detractors in Montreal is that he's awful defensively, but it's based on nothing but their own (considerable) hot air.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If Gaborik can waive it, Umby can too.

yes, but in order to do so one of the follow situations would occur.

A. Umberger has asked to be traded and wants out. (if that is the case, then he could be a locker room distraction.)
B. GMJK has told RJ he is interested in moving him. (this also creates a potential locker room cancer situation if he doesn't want to be traded.)
C. A team inquires if he is available. At that point, interest should be gauged if he would be willing to go to that team before you enter serious negotiations. (See letter B)

It was pretty clear in NY that Gaborik wanted out of there. I don't see it being that obvious in this case. Everyone seems to throw around trade scenarios with players who have NTC like its candy but its not a simple as asking and he says OK. Players get NTC because they want to stay somewhere and not worry about being traded. Going against such a clause can easily cause problems in a relationship and create locker room distractions.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If the Canadiens are talking a trade with the Jackets, I personally would have to believe that a defenseman would be in the works. While on paper they're fine; at the close of the year they only have three of their current eight defensemen under contract (Gorges, Emelin, Drewiske). At the top of their list of priorities there will be getting P.K. Subban locked up long-term; which certainly won't be cheap. After that, they are set to lose Markov, Bouillion, Murray, and Diaz ... of those four, it's likely that they'll either keep one (most likely Murray?), or sign a free agent ... after that, I think they turn to a younger player such as Nathan Beaulieu or Jared Tinordi to fill out their lineup.

My point in all of this rambling? Maybe an expendable bottom pairing guy for us (Nikitin, Savard, Erixon) could be a huge pickup for them, as all are fairly young and could possibly be retained for less than a free agent would for Montreal.

If they're interested in Umberger, as is rumored, then that's great ... but the Jackets will have to take back one of those salaries if they're going to get rid of the albatross deal that is RJU. If this rumor is true, then I think that any of the "mighty mites" for Montreal could be in play ... be it Briere, Desharnais, or even Gionta.

All that being said, I highly doubt anything other than a minor deal comes from this.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I suspect if Umby and either Nikitin or Savard go to Montreal, a pick and a (forward?) prospect come back. The freed up cap space would allow Jarmo to make his next move - one that will hopefully improve the offense now.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Umby wouldn't waive his NTC, my girlfriend works for a high end interior decorator and they are doing a huge project at his house, he wants to retire here.

In a healthy world, we have 2 NHL caliber forwards healthy scratches every night. I would think they try to move salary and a body for draft picks if anything, I doubt they try to get a forward in return, at least not someone that would be up with the big club

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Umby wouldn't waive his NTC, my girlfriend works for a high end interior decorator and they are doing a huge project at his house, he wants to retire here.

...and Rick Nash moved into a new place a year before asking out of town.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Any interest in Plekanec? He's 31 and becomes a UFA in 16/17. Cap hit is $5 million and has a motified NTC so he would have to waive as well to come to Columbus. He would bring in offense. In 30 games so far, he has 10 goals and 10 assists. I see no reason why the Habs would deal him but if the suppose rumour of Habs being HIGH on Umberger is true, then maybe they would.

Plekanec for Umberger and Nikitin/Savard? If the Habs asked for Umberger and Erixon, would you do it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad