Monthly News Thread (March 2019)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WWE always brings in former wrestlers/wrestling people to be on their production team, but never their creative team, and it drives me nuts.

People scoffed at Dana Warrior, and I sorta do as well, but at least she might have a bit of a wrestler's perspective since she was married to Warrior.

Like, how do you have someone like Paul Heyman on your payroll, and not use him creatively? (I know he handles some stuff for Brock). HHH isn't involved as much as he should be.

Even someone like Gregory Helms who is back as a producer. Why not get him in a creative role as well?

Heyman’s been involved in all of the Ronda stuff as well.

Getting a woman involved in creative, like as a writer, they gotta be there every week (Dana is not doing this). All the women they’ve ever had have not wanted to do that, theyve all moved on and wanted to start families or do something else.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- The first TakeOver after WrestleMania is set for June 8th in San Jose. It’s interesting to note that there’s no Main Roster event planned for that Sunday.

Could be an indication that Sasha and Bayley, or whoever the Women’s Tag Champs are at that time, will be making their first NXT defense at that event

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
- The first TakeOver after WrestleMania is set for June 8th in San Jose. It’s interesting to note that there’s no Main Roster event planned for that Sunday.

Could be an indication that Sasha and Bayley, or whoever the Women’s Tag Champs are at that time, will be making their first NXT defense at that event

They haven't scheduled money in the bank yet, so it could be an indication that that's what's happening that weekend

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Perhaps.

I feel like that’s early for MITB though
You're technically correct!

It is indeed too early for Money in the Bank, but only by a week lol. Normally it's held a week later, so the 15th/16th weekend would have been the blind bet. So unless WWE are changing their schedule around, it's gonna be Money in the Bank.

I thought for a second that WWE might have been counter booking NJPW, as they've got the AAC in Dallas for the first night of the G1, but that would be in July not June.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You're technically correct!

It is indeed too early for Money in the Bank, but only by a week lol. Normally it's held a week later, so the 15th/16th weekend would have been the blind bet. So unless WWE are changing their schedule around, it's gonna be Money in the Bank.

I thought for a second that WWE might have been counter booking NJPW, as they've got the AAC in Dallas for the first night of the G1, but that would be in July not June.

Yeah, Summerslam this year is booked for a week earlier than it was last year, so it makes sense that MITB and Extreme Rules will be a week earlier too. I remember when MITB was the July PPV. Soon enough, it'll be the May PPV. :sarcasm:

Oddly enough, Survivor Series is booked a week later than usual.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Becky is carrying the entire feud, honestly. I don’t get how that can be argued.

Charlotte is damn good in the ring, but yeah, everything else she’s pretty bad.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Charlotte is the top Woman on the roster. Sorry, not sorry.

Becky has been great the past 6 months, but Charlotte has been great for faaaaar longer.

Also, I think everything about the Becky-Ronda-Charlotte feud has been great. I feel everyone is being too nit picky.

The injury angle is boring the f*** out of me. They need to stop over complicating it. 3 amazing female athletes. Let them go. No injuries. No macmahons. Just let them want to kill one another for the belt.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Charlotte is an elite world class in ring worker.

She offers literally nothing else though. She's bad on the mic. She gets rattled by the crowd after years. She has a character that sucks and often contradicts itself.

But if I want to see a good women's match. She's always the top choice of mine to be in it.

Reactions: iamjs

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
some interesting stuff from a podcast with a former writer (recent), Kazeem Fumuyide. ripped from r/sc, but condensed

- Just released in early Feb. 2019

- worked with Riott Squad, Lashley/Lio, New Day, Owens.

- says the higher ups are cool and straight shooters. Says if you act like a "p***y" they'll treat you like one, but if you're a straight shooter and aren't afraid of the higher ups then you're good.

- Has nothing but positive things to say about Vince McMahon, and says he's not a maniac and he's not crazy.

- Told a bit where he had AOP get physical with a backstage extra, which Vince doesn't like. Vince called him in and Kaz, the writer, took full responsibility when Vince wondered why he had Kaz in there and who the producer for the segment was. The cardinal sin with Vince is excuses. Vince enjoys going "Grandpa Vince" and sharing knowledge with those and enjoys when they actually listen and takes what he says and gets better.

- Vince didn't want to use the word "manager" and thought it was outdated. He wanted Lio to be called Lashley's handler, but Kevin Owens and Kaz (the writer) talked it over and Kevin didn't like the racial connotation that came along with that word. Kaz and a lead writer sat down with Vince, and Vince didn't know what the problem was and wanted to know what they should be called instead. That's where "hypeman" came from and Vince responded, "well goddamn he's a hypeman then!"

- Kaz says the negative thoughts about Michael Cole are wrong, and says he's one of the hardest working people in the company and Cole helped Kaz immensely while he was there.

- Everything that goes ON SCREEN is the writer's responsibility. Writers are on headsets but only in communication with Dunn, Vince, prop and music guys. They queue up music, when it's time for go home. If something is off cue or f***s up, that writer is the first person the higher ups are going after and they'll be on the chopping block. Writers are replaceable.

- Kaz says Roman Reigns is one of the guys who goes out of his way to make sure the writers for his stuff look good, and you can tell how much of a leader he truly is.

- There's three tiers of talent when it comes to writing for them. Tier one is the guys who can make anything good as long as it's not too wild or crazy. Kaz called this the "Dean Ambrose special" because you can literally give Dean anything and he'll make it work and look good. Tier two are the guys who take it and want to make a few changes. Tier three are the guys you can't really write for because they're just so great on their own, so you just give them something and then brainstorm new ideas off that and collaborate - he named Owens, Zayn, Heyman here.

- Paul Heyman is another one who helped Kaz. Everyone was mostly in the dark on the day Roman Reigns announced his leukemia, and Kaz had to write Heyman's segment that night. Heyman found out Kaz had no idea what was happening when he read the script say "Heyman addresses Reigns announcement and leads into Lesnar-" so Heyman went into the office with Vince, HHH and HBK while Kaz remained outside, and Heyman came out and told Kaz that when Heyman says "reigning, defending" to cue up Strowman's music and Heyman will take it from there, so Kaz was covered cue wise.

- He said everyone was crying backstage when Roman said "My real name is Joe, and I've been living with leukemia for-"

- Kaz knew Roman Reigns was going to return to the company by the end of December.

- The first New Day promo Kaz wrote was the one that involved King Booker and New Day taking a knee. The segment cracked up everyone backstage and Vince gave him props for it.

- The last New Day promo he wrote was the New Year's celebration one and Kaz slipped a "Steiner Math" joke in there. Triple H was laughing in gorilla and said "did this motherf***er just say Steiner Math?!"

- Kaz was writing things that he thought were going to catch fire, such as "looks like money, smells like money." Merchandise was even being produced at the time until he got an email saying they aren't going to do that anymore. At TV, Vince said he wanted Lashley to show his ass to the crowd, which is what we got with the pose downs. Kaz said the first couple of weeks were awkward, but after that, people were showing up with signs of the poses, and fans were shouting "hit 'em with your favourite pose" to Lashley when he would walk into the arena. Kaz was like "goddamn, this motherf***er Vince got 'em again."

- Kaz said Velveteen Dream is the guy and is the golden child. He says Ricochet is the first guy in NXT's history that led to a huge surge in ticket sales when his signing was announced.

- Kaz watches the show through a different lens now. He revealed that if someone misses their cue, goes too quick or anything like that, and they have to go to commercial during the crossover from one hour to another, that's a huge sum of money that they lose and someone is getting fired if that happens.

- Wishes everyone had the chance to write for WWE, and says the creative staff pitch ideas that fans come up with too, but they don't work for different reasons, either injuries, or something else has to happen relating to another program, etc.

- Kaz wrote the Kevin Owens / Elias segment in Seattle.

- Mustafa Ali essentially happened because one day, Daniel Bryan burst into the writer's room and yelled "WE NEED A HOT YOUNG BABYFACE RIGHT NOW, THE YOUNGEST BABYFACE WE HAVE IS PUSHING 40 YEARS OLD, HOW IS THIS GOING TO WORK?" and everyone in the writer's room eventually led to Mustafa Ali getting the shot.

- When it comes to working with Vince it depends. If he has an idea for a top guy, what Vince says goes, regardless. He calls the shots. If it's a lower act guy, Vince will run with your (the writer's) idea for as long as he can. It depends on the talent and angles.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
No idea it was like that. I thought the writer writes and it’s up to Vince and crew to “produce”

Crazy pressure.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Charlotte is the top Woman on the roster. Sorry, not sorry.

Becky has been great the past 6 months, but Charlotte has been great for faaaaar longer.

Also, I think everything about the Becky-Ronda-Charlotte feud has been great. I feel everyone is being too nit picky.

Becky's been great longer than that. The fans have always been behind her, even when she was opening house shows in six-person tags. She was booked like trash. Hell, the entire Carmella/Ellsworth run that dominated the SD women's division for over a year was pretty much heated* off the fact she was the one who was seen as the most screwed in the first MITB.

And Charlotte may be great in the ring, but she should enjoy the fact getting constantly pushed for four years allowed her to get spots/time no other woman was getting for their matches.

*(It also heated your "Becky sucks and nerds like her" gimmick, which was an even sadder side effect)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The injury angle is boring the **** out of me. They need to stop over complicating it. 3 amazing female athletes. Let them go. No injuries. No macmahons. Just let them want to kill one another for the belt.

I'm honestly not even sure where they are going with it. So Becky can use a crutch? It's not to fight Nia which seemed like the original reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad