Monthly News Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The Cena match was way worse. The family was broken up in the 31 build and he didn’t have nearly as much momentum.

At no point was Bray in a better position to go into super stardom then the build for 30.

For all the talk of Cena putting people over. The last person Cena put over at Mania was The Rock.

Which he got back the next year when Rock did the job right back for the title.

The Mania match between Bray and Cena was bad, but even if you have Cena go over there they still had a chance for Bray to win the feud. Instead, they had him win the next match due to bizarre circumstances and then he was literally buried at the next PPV to end the feud.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That Mania promo for Wyatt/Cena is still one of my all time favourites. It was the perfect time to establish a new mega star and instead Bray was used as fodder for Cena.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Was that the one where Cena was fighting for his 'legacy,' where if he has lost, the previous 12 years in wrestling history would have evaporated?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Which he got back the next year when Rock did the job right back for the title.

The Mania match between Bray and Cena was bad, but even if you have Cena go over there they still had a chance for Bray to win the feud. Instead, they had him win the next match due to bizarre circumstances and then he was literally buried at the next PPV to end the feud.

Under normal circumstances, your cash cow goes over on the biggest show of the year so it's probably best to put him against guys who don't have a future with you that probably won't affect your bottom line to feed to the guy. I'm pretty sure that's the only thing going into it.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
That Mania promo for Wyatt/Cena is still one of my all time favourites. It was the perfect time to establish a new mega star and instead Bray was used as fodder for Cena.

Frankly I think Bray dropped some of the best promos of the modern era in that feud and it sucked to see Cena's responses be basically "lol you're fat tho" and then just roll over him.

It sucked. Hard.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Matt Hardy threatened to DELETE Vince McMahon if he didn't like The Ultimate Deletion.

- Matt Hardy has put a surveillance order out on Michael Cole and "the eye in the sky", Vanguard 1 is watching him.

- John Cena posted a picture of The Undertaker from 1984 as "Texas Red" on Instagram. I just see this as another way of Cena humanizing him so we don't see The Deadman here.

- The Greatest Royal Rumble will be appearing on the WWE Network.

- Undertaker vs. John Cena may not be made official until the go-home episode of Raw.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Michael Cole has been thinking of retirement, after all

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Deleting Mitchell Cole wouldn't be the worst decision in the world.

There was speculation a bit ago that Cole wanted to leave the announce desk and just work production.

If that was to ever happen, “deleting” him would be a great way to do it :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There was speculation a bit ago that Cole wanted to leave the announce desk and just work production.

If that was to ever happen, “deleting” him would be a great way to do it :laugh:

Anybody that needs to go whether it's retiring or repackaging getting deleted is a stupendous idea to go with. lol

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Vince apparently thought the Ultimate Deletion would bomb but now it's looked at as a success and there's a possibility that Matt will have more freedom to produce segments like this moving forward.

Oct 18, 2011
Vince apparently thought the Ultimate Deletion would bomb but now it's looked at as a success and there's a possibility that Matt will have more freedom to produce segments like this moving forward.
This from the man who has spent four years trying to get Roman over as the top guy or Babyface and it's been a complete failure

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Definitely clear they were hedging their bets. Yeah they gave Matt the main event spot in Mania season, but you don’t have Cole flat out apologizing for the segment and calling it “obnoxious” if you think it will go over.

Not including it on the Hulu or web edits showed that as well, or even playing it in the arena.

Good for Matt

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can see the Cole stuff being a work into an actual storyline. Broken Hardy vs Michael Cole is the type of ridiculousness that would work in the Universe, and if Cole is still planning on leaving the announce table, it could work storywise.

Like, Cole was like dreading it, but Graves also defended it, so...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The same site that said Vince was afraid it would bomb also mentioned it was a “struggle” to ever it made and put on TV.

Now that it is done they are very pleased with the numbers and reception and Matt should get the go ahead to do more.

See my fear is that whenever Vince gives someone freedom to do something and it goes over, he then has to insert himself into the picture to do it “his way and kills it.

ECW comes to mind the most. The first One Night Stand was good because Heyman was basically given free reign. The second one and the ECW revival was Vince back in control and the quality went way down.

Though who knows? I never thought Matt would get as much control as he ended getting for his first shoot.

Overall though I am really happy for Matt. Remembering back to how he left the company and the state he was in, it is great to see him back and having so much success with his ideas. Hopefully Jeff can stay sober and they can have a really fun run together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad