Injury Report: Montador suffers another concussion

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Chris Kuc tweeted that he suffered another concussion, practicing with teammates.

He apparently was cleared, but failed his physical today.

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc

According to a source, defenseman Steve Montador's concussion is back and he was only #Blackhawks player not to pass today's physicals.

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc

Clarifying: #Blackhawks' Steve Montador had been cleared by team following concussion but suffered another while skating with teammates.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Why would they even need to buy him out? At this rate, he can just stay on LTIR until his contract is up and/or he retires. I don't think Montador is going to play very man NHL games in his career, if at all. I mean, a concussion while skating with teammates? Really? Poor Montador.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why would they even need to buy him out? At this rate, he can just stay on LTIR until his contract is up and/or he retires. I don't think Montador is going to play very man NHL games in his career, if at all. I mean, a concussion while skating with teammates? Really? Poor Montador.

This, buy out someone else. LTIR Montador.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A point was made to me that is serious problem with buyout theory

If he is injured he cant be bought out ,, And as Pronger/Savard has shown concussions are unpredictable as far as when they heal

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

If he is injured he cant be bought out ,, And as Pronger/Savard has shown concussions are unpredictable as far as when they heal

Again, who cares? He won't count against the cap and doesn't insurance pay for his contract when he's on LTIR?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

That's right, and no point in them retiring because they still collect a paychq.

Still can LTIR them though, not really a serious problem.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Again, who cares? He won't count against the cap and doesn't insurance pay for his contract when he's on LTIR?

It will be fine for this year

But as soon as he passes a physical he is back on Hawks cap and roster next season ,, So we would have possibly issues the final 2 years of his deal with a guy with extensive concussion history

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It will be fine for this year

But as soon as he passes a physical he is back on Hawks cap and roster next season ,, So we would have possibly issues the final 2 years of his deal with a guy with extensive concussion history

Uh, the guy just got concussed while skating with his teammates.. like I said, I don't think Montador has too many NHL games left in his career, if any. Even if he is eventually cleared, I don't think it'll be too long until he gets concussed again. He's going to have to retire at some point before he comes back, or very shortly after his next concussion.

Do people remember the concussion that knocked him out last year? He fell into a guys shoulder/elbow and got knocked out cold. A harmless looking play ended his season and now a harmless skating session has de-railed his 2012-13 season.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
C'mon guys. It seems like there isn't much sympathy for Monty - a Blackhawk player with a serious injury. Rather than hoping he's hurt bad enough to have to retire, I hope he recovers and is able to play again - even if it means it puts the Hawks in a pinch with the cap.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Just thinking practically about how this effects team now and longterm

He is an NHL player and will receive top notch medical care (Many of us could only dream of)

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This is not bad for the team by any means (might even be good), but for him as a person I do hope he recovers asap. I've watched a lady I work with battle through a concussion since mid December and it's brutal to see her like that.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just thinking practically about how this effects team now and longterm

He is an NHL player and will receive top notch medical care (Many of us could only dream of)

or he may have CTE already. Doesn't really matter what type of medical care he receives if the damage is done.

I reserve judgement until we find out what actually happened.

Nothingman*

I don't see him coming back. I mean, just skating caused him to relapse. I hope he gets better for a normal life but to think he is going to recover to play a physical game like hockey is not being in touchy with reality. I don't think he will retire but will end up onLTIR for the next couple years and not count against the cap. Ad he will get paid in the process.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Nope. I was on the 'they will play' bandwagon all year - although, I didn't think it would take as long as it did.. thought they'd get it sorted out by early-mid December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad