WWE: Monday Night Raw part 176: Attendance at an all time high!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i dont get Nia in the title picture. probably a triple threat and they're both heels. with face sasha getting her rematch (if thats still a thing......)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, I just re-watched the Cena-Reigns segment. When he says "everyone thinks I have this mystical golden shovel" and he goes on to deny it when he basically did exactly what he denies a few weeks ago by (reportedly) letting management know he doesn't see it with Corbin.

Don't like the hypocrisy there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
i dont get Nia in the title picture. probably a triple threat and they're both heels. with face sasha getting her rematch (if thats still a thing......)

Total Divas is a good reason to do it. This was the original plan for SummerSlam, and Bayley wasn't supposed to beat Alexa. Someone mentioned Sasha's facial expressions being a tip off, I'm not convinced she looked all that thrilled at SummerSlam, and the commentary barely touched on the fact that she was 'doing it for Bayley.' A finish from out of nowhere while Corey Graves was trying to sell her injured arm, that definitely seemed like a match they changed the result late in the game. Too bad they didn't get a real feud, because it started good and cooled off at that point because people felt they knew the end game.

I'm sure it's not an accident that all of the women around the title picture are on it while the 4HW are put on the backburner. However, if you're going to do 4HW vs. 4HW, what is the point if they're all geeks?

Also, I just re-watched the Cena-Reigns segment. When he says "everyone thinks I have this mystical golden shovel" and he goes on to deny it when he basically did exactly what he denies a few weeks ago by (reportedly) letting management know he doesn't see it with Corbin.

Don't like the hypocrisy there.

Nobody likes Corbin though. Coming up from NXT, it's not like people who watched NXT thought he was on the path Vince was seeing for him. Everyone Cena has put over, or in a few case simply made look good (Zayn) are people the fan base did actually like. Styles used it as well when they were feuding. You're not wrong, but it is part of the equation, and putting some of the guys over that he has is why Cena has gained more respect than he had before.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That Cena/Reigns segment was just a watered down version of the Punk/HHH promo where he called him Paul and Punk was ranting about the brass rings.

Hell it even had Cena use HHH's line that the crowd decides who gets over, and not managment

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That Cena/Reigns segment was just a watered down version of the Punk/HHH promo where he called him Paul and Punk was ranting about the brass rings.

Hell it even had Cena use HHH's line that the crowd decides who gets over, and not managment

In Roman's case, he's right. Everybody knows it's not true across the board, but he couldn't say that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nobody likes Corbin though. Coming up from NXT, it's not like people who watched NXT thought he was on the path Vince was seeing for him. Everyone Cena has put over, or in a few case simply made look good (Zayn) are people the fan base did actually like. Styles used it as well when they were feuding. You're not wrong, but it is part of the equation, and putting some of the guys over that he has is why Cena has gained more respect than he had before.

I don't disagree with that, and I don't even disagree with Cena in that instance because Corbin sucks. It's just that for Cena to say something to the tune of not having a magical shovel yet he literally used said shovel a few weeks prior in order to stop a Baron Corbin push is hypocritical to me. I would have been fine if he just left out that line completely or handled it a different way.

But Cena has gained more respect over the years for putting guys over when needed.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The Cena/Reigns promo was great. Roman forgetting his line made it better, it gave Cena more ammo to go off script and get a legitimate reaction out of Roman so he had natural fire behind his words rather than following the script. That was the best promo Roman cut after forgetting his line and Cena was on fire as usual and did great bringing Roman up and provoking that reaction.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They just need to give Roman some freedom. He's clearly not a guy who is going to be great at memorizing lines from a script, especially given how much Vince likes to change his scripts literally minutes leading up to a show. Just give the guy some freedom and see how he does if you really are hell bent on making him Cena 2.0

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just got done with the show. show was okay but that crowd was as dead as Bon

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
also I marked so hard for Jeff winning the rumble. if they bust out No More Words for his entrance omfg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Cena/Reigns promo was great. Roman forgetting his line made it better, it gave Cena more ammo to go off script and get a legitimate reaction out of Roman so he had natural fire behind his words rather than following the script. That was the best promo Roman cut after forgetting his line and Cena was on fire as usual and did great bringing Roman up and provoking that reaction.

Not so sure I agree with this. We all agree Cena is amazing on the mic and when he wants to just randomly go off script, but in the last 2 weeks he cut promos that really didn't do much to build his opposition up. He cut Miz down after Miz was insanely good in character and then he basically made Roman out to be a n00b by calling out his promo skills. Not really sure people understand the art of a promo, but it's not to do that. :laugh: You have to deliver edge but build interest. If a guy is just going to tell me the other one sucks at promos or buries talent, that doesn't sell a damn thing no matter how interesting it is.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am long bored with everyone person who feuds with Cena bringing up the shovel.

Me too. How many times does the Cena challenger have to bring up the same tired old arguments again and again? Hell Cena even mentions it in his response. :laugh:

Roman did a promo literally every other person did before him to Cena. I thought the whole face off was not creative and pretty boring. Have Roman spear a make a wish kid or something. I also absolutely hated when Cena said "heel turn" in his promo.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Cena straight up murdered him and I loved it. LOVED. He also did a lot for Roman though. Roman was lost....dead in the water...he forgot his line...he had NOTHING. Cena rescued him and while it was with a burial at least it gave Roman an out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Cena needs to be brought up on charges for that viscous assault on Roman.

I know people bash Cena all the time but no one is even close to his level on the mic.

Roman should be embarrassed by his performance. If you want to be a top guy you need to do better than that. Vince needs to seriously re-evaluate Roman as a priority for this company.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cena needs to be brought up on charges for that viscous assault on Roman.

I know people bash Cena all the time but no one is even close to his level on the mic.

Roman should be embarrassed by his performance. If you want to be a top guy you need to do better than that. Vince needs to seriously re-evaluate Roman as a priority for this company.

I think this is becoming a myth. Nobody bashes Cena for his mic skills. Anyone who watched him from his rap days knows he's legit awesome on the mic. Nobody bashes him for his dedication or in-ring skills. Some prefer different styles, but nobody bashes.

All of the bashing pertains to examples of Nexus, Rusev, Bray, Sandow, Corbin, etc. Those are what he deserves bashing for.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I respect Cena on the mic. He's fantastic, but if someone laid into him like he lays into others, he'd probably go to someone in the back (if history is any indication) - "HE CAN'T SAY THAT TO ME..."

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I think this is becoming a myth. Nobody bashes Cena for his mic skills. Anyone who watched him from his rap days knows he's legit awesome on the mic. Nobody bashes him for his dedication or in-ring skills. Some prefer different styles, but nobody bashes.

All of the bashing pertains to examples of Nexus, Rusev, Bray, Sandow, Corbin, etc. Those are what he deserves bashing for.

Bingo.

If I was starting a brand new company I 100% take Cena first overall. Dude is good to great in ALL aspects of wrestling and I respect the hell out of his talent.

The issue I have, and I assume everybody has, is with the Super Cena idea and how he's gone over when he shouldn't have. Rusev/Bray/Barrett stand out as the most recent issues with that but he's certainly getting better. He semi made up for it by putting Wyatt over clean on that one Smackdown but Vince just undid all of that anyway.

He DOES seem a bit lazy on the mic sometimes. I look at the Wyatt feud for this one. Wyatt was dropping some of the best promos I've ever seen (Teacher Lady is probably my favourite promo in the last 5 years or so) and Cena often fell back to "lolz more like Eater of Twinkies am I right?!".

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Not so sure I agree with this. We all agree Cena is amazing on the mic and when he wants to just randomly go off script, but in the last 2 weeks he cut promos that really didn't do much to build his opposition up. He cut Miz down after Miz was insanely good in character and then he basically made Roman out to be a n00b by calling out his promo skills. Not really sure people understand the art of a promo, but it's not to do that. :laugh: You have to deliver edge but build interest. If a guy is just going to tell me the other one sucks at promos or buries talent, that doesn't sell a damn thing no matter how interesting it is.

He may have buried him/hurt Roman's character and identity a bit, but I think the main point of Cena doing that was to illicit a legitimate, passionate response from Roman off script and it worked. Cena knows better than anyone that you need that fire in your promos to be believable. Roman is guilty of sounding too scripted and robotic at times with no real passion and fire behind his words, but he got Roman to break through that last night.

I think behind the scenes, Cena's going to be taking Roman under his wing and teaching him those things. Also that you're the new guy in the company, it's fine to go off script and speak from your heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad