Post-Game Talk: Monarchy Abolished (x3)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
LA fans are claiming it was, but Ferraro, who has no dog in the hunt, said on ESPN that the it's not a shock that the more skilled team drew more penalties.

The only reason the unfair reffing narrative exists is because Edmonton dominated special teams play, making every single penalty call against LA a pivotal moment in the game. If the Kings' PK lived up to their regular season reputation, the standard at which the refs call the game isn't a significant issue.
I made a comment to my girlfriend during the game that judging by the reffing, the NHL wants the Oilers to go far this year. We got similar reffing like Vegas got last year and Colorado the year before.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I know Draisaitl can be very lazy for long stretches during the regular season but is anybody surprised he turned it on again? Funny how we didn't see any of those blind passes into the slot.

25 goals and 60 points in his last 33 playoff games. Legendary player.
IMO there was a maturity in this series we haven't seen the last couple of years when the Oilers go up in the game. 4-2 in the 3rd and they weren't attempting a single high risk play in the offensive zone. They blew a lot of leads last year and (for now) don't seem interested in doing that again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just those vets that know when to try make a play and when to make the safe play. Janmark had a couple yesterday where he could've forced a play, but one in particular he decided to turn away and kill some more PK time instead of forcing a shot that would've gave LA possession with numbers going the other way.
Exactly.
That Janmark play was a perfect example of a player that just doesnt hurt the team.
Same with the play Ryan made at the end of the game. He loses his stick and then makes a hell of a play along the boards to kill the Kings possession.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
LA fans are claiming it was, but Ferraro, who has no dog in the hunt, said on ESPN that the it's not a shock that the more skilled team drew more penalties.

The only reason the unfair reffing narrative exists is because Edmonton dominated special teams play, making every single penalty call against LA a pivotal moment in the game. If the Kings' PK lived up to their regular season reputation, the standard at which the refs call the game isn't a significant issue.
Exactly. If they could kill a penalty no one would be talking about it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Janmark is consistently one of our best defensive forwards. He also always seems to get some great looks offensively but can never finish lol. If guess if he was better at that we wouldn't have been able to afford him
For sure...he does have stone hands (as you said...might be a positive...lol) but he just makes the right play defensively over and over again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Janmark is consistently one of our best defensive forwards. He also always seems to get some great looks offensively but can never finish lol. If guess if he was better at that we wouldn't have been able to afford him
This is just it. Some people want the world out of every player. Fact is if a guy had the tools he's missing then he would be making a lot more money and we wouldn't be able to afford them.

Guy is a perfect 4th liner that can play up the lineup at times. A guy that also took a paycut this year to stay after once again last year having pretty good offensive numbers for what he was getting paid.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
After their big struggles in last year's playoffs, I thought Nuge and Desharnais were stellar this series. The pace doesn't look too fast for Desharnais anymore and Nuge played with alot of passion, energy and wasn't scared of the physicality. In net, Skinner is looking much more comfortable compared to last playoffs as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers PP playing possum all season is crazy.
For once its sensible. Woody would have sought to get every drop out of it during regular season when it doesn't count. Gotta bump his own "legendary" regular season record. Now the guy is unemployed.

Playoffs is all that matters. Astute coaches would save schemes for playoffs.

That said the Oilers were playing a team that used the diamond pk every game against us, which is inane. That serviced our PP efficiency.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Same, and I'll add Kane to that mix.

I'm one of the biggest Kane supporters you'll find and even I thought we would have to kind of hide him in the playoffs. Instead he's been a catalyst for us.
Maybe not you directed, but Kulak too.

Essentially the only one that hasn't stepped up from their regular season performance that we were waiting on is Connor Brown.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers PP is hockey trolling.

Say what you want about the EV play(and it's not nearly as bad as the haters are trying to claim) but a team with a combined special teams% of 150 is not going to lose very many games.
For sure. I said the Oilers tactically just sought to go even with LA at EV because they know they would jsut own on special teams and that would be margin of victory. So that the oilers craftily and pretty efficiently closed the series in 5 games and could've been 4. The Oilers did that while looking like one of the most dangerous clubs in first round that nobody wants to play. That even a defending SC club did not want to play.

But the usual media and fans will find fault.

The Oilers can own EV play and have shown that this year too.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Most important thing this series was the emergence of Vinny/Kulak. Nurse/Ceci has been a disaster against stiff comp so hopefully there is an offset here

Coaches disagree with you...

Last Night:
Total TOI:

Ceci: 20:49
Nurse: 19:52
Kulak: 13:04
Desharnais: 14:55

ESTOI:

Ceci: 20:22
Nurse: 19:15
Kulak: 13:04
Desharnais: 13:25

Plus they had Nurse/Ceci out to close out the game.

Full Series:
Total TOI:

Ceci: 105:04
Nurse: 105:34
Kulak: 77:00
Desharnais: 86:40

ESTOI:

Ceci: 93:13
Nurse: 91:49
Kulak: 77:52
Desharnais: 72:12

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I feel bad for ever doubting draisaitl during the season.
And I feel bad for my hyper criticism in regards to everything Bouchard that caused such a commotion. But that's part of the process.

Now Draisaitl is the best player in the entire playoffs, that's my opinion, and Bouchard is making a strong case for being the best defenseman... anyone doubting that needs to rewatch games 4 and 5 of the series. Possibly the two best performances of his NHL career.

the Orange Crush will now commence

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe LA is better than I gave them credit for, but they really had us chasing them around last night, especially in the third. Makes me just a little nervous looking ahead to a possible match up with Colorado. But I still think this is the best Oilers squad we’ve seen in the McDrai era. And this whole season has been the most fun I’ve had watching this team in decades.
LA was contained though. Oilers were getting the more dangerous chances and could get it back. LA a lot of games can expend this kind of energy, but against top caliber clubs it can often be ineffectual and peripheral. LA had trouble getting pucks inside into slot or around crease asll series. They couldn't even generate it on the PP. Oilers defending and awareness and positional play was impeccable.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I woke up this morning and nearly had a heart attack from the salt on the mains.

Glorious.

I have dreamt of the day when the Oilers finally get favourable officiating. Mains don’t know what hit them. They didn’t believe us when we complained about officiating. Now they can’t fathom how the Oilers actually look when we get the calls.

Inject this straight into my oily veins.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: