Monarchs seek new ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's interesting how important affiliations appear to be with one franchise and how irrelevant they are with another.

The Cincinnati Cylcones have been affiliated with Montreal, Nashville and, now, Buffalo. It probably helps the merchandising sales of the NHL affiliates more than anything else, but has-in my estimation-zero impact upon attendance at Cyclones games. I'm pretty sure that an affiliation with the Columbus Blue Jackets would be more beneficial to Columbus than Cincinnati. It seems by what you guys who know the Reading and Manchester markets well, that proper affiliation is vital for these two ECHL franchises.

Toledo-which is the premier run franchise in the ECHL imo-might have a significant negative impact upon its popularity if they would not be affiliated with Detroit. It's up to each market to understand its particular dynamics.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It's interesting how important affiliations appear to be with one franchise and how irrelevant they are with another.

The Cincinnati Cylcones have been affiliated with Montreal, Nashville and, now, Buffalo. It probably helps the merchandising sales of the NHL affiliates more than anything else, but has-in my estimation-zero impact upon attendance at Cyclones games. I'm pretty sure that an affiliation with the Columbus Blue Jackets would be more beneficial to Columbus than Cincinnati. It seems by what you guys who know the Reading and Manchester markets well, that proper affiliation is vital for these two ECHL franchises.

Toledo-which is the premier run franchise in the ECHL imo-might have a significant negative impact upon its popularity if they would not be affiliated with Detroit. It's up to each market to understand its particular dynamics.
The ECHL should be sold as watching a local hockey team trying to win games.Why would any fan in Manchester care about developing Ontario Regin forth liners and backup goalies when the ahl team used to play in their city.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

ECHL affiliation with NHL teams is minimal, at best. If a team has it and it's local to the region, it can be used for promotional purposes and PR, but since it's not as if the NHL has used the ECHL to develop talent, fans of ECHL markets should be more conditioned to think about their team trying to make the playoffs and beating the snot out of the local rivals (if applicable) than spending time thinking about what players are likely to be promoted to the main roster in the next few weeks, as is the case with the AHL rosters.

In an ideal world, every NHL team would affiliate to the nearest ECHL team, if they could, but this isn't the case, and you also gotta deal with stragglers like Fort Wayne who will always be difficult to work with.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Part of it, too, is what your local fanbase demands.

When I've been in Cincinnati's building, you would never know the Cyclones had an NHL affiliate or who they were. They haven't gone out of their way to market their affiliation or their tie with an NHL team.

Toledo is in an area with a lot of Red Wings fans and is very close to Detroit. Having that affiliation means something (and the Wings activate that affiliation and have a number of players in Toledo each year). Same in Indy - you can't turn your head without seeing Chicago Blackhawks references at Fuel games. Blackhawks highlights play before warmups, the team wears uniforms based on the Chicago template, Chelsea Dagger is the goal song, Jim Cornelison sings the anthem at one game a year. There is a strong fanbase for hockey in Indy, but there's a very strong NHL fanbase with a lot of transplants. Being able to market oneself as being tied to the Blackhawks is a big draw in Indy and many of the fans - especially the Chicago fans - take ownership of it.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Part of it, too, is what your local fanbase demands.

When I've been in Cincinnati's building, you would never know the Cyclones had an NHL affiliate or who they were. They haven't gone out of their way to market their affiliation or their tie with an NHL team.

Toledo is in an area with a lot of Red Wings fans and is very close to Detroit. Having that affiliation means something (and the Wings activate that affiliation and have a number of players in Toledo each year). Same in Indy - you can't turn your head without seeing Chicago Blackhawks references at Fuel games. Blackhawks highlights play before warmups, the team wears uniforms based on the Chicago template, Chelsea Dagger is the goal song, Jim Cornelison sings the anthem at one game a year. There is a strong fanbase for hockey in Indy, but there's a very strong NHL fanbase with a lot of transplants. Being able to market oneself as being tied to the Blackhawks is a big draw in Indy and many of the fans - especially the Chicago fans - take ownership of it.
A new affiliate would help Manchester a lot the goal should be to move away from anything LA Kings and Brian Cheek's group and start fresh

Growler

May 16, 2018
Fan turn-out for this Manchester series -- WOOF! ~1,200 fans a game and now Game 5 is going to be played in a practice rink 20 minutes away. They're not even sure whether there will be ECHL TV or even an audio feed for the game.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Fan turn-out for this Manchester series -- WOOF! ~1,200 fans a game and now Game 5 is going to be played in a practice rink 20 minutes away. They're not even sure whether there will be ECHL TV or even an audio feed for the game.

Had to double check that, that's dumbfounding even for the Monarchs. You can't even buy tickets for Game 5 online.

Looking at the SNHU Arena calendar "Monster Jam" (Monster trucks) is that weekend and that'll take a 2 days to setup normally, so yeah, the Monarchs got pushed out with their crappy attendance. Whittlemore Center (UNH) is also busy Friday, so that's out as well.

Doubt there will be more than two or three hundred in attendance in Exeter,

Edit to add: Just an another example of the incompetence/"anti-fan" mentality of the current (and former management) and why the fans have tuned out the Monarchs.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Wasn't CINCINNATI SPLIT between the 2 leagues as well, there's that example that CH seems to not to recognize either, it's a wonder that CIN has rebounded quite well since Anaheim's arrogance.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That makes no sense.
Augusta and Fresno look it up, Centrum, neither city since has returned to any level of pro hockey, and Fresno is more cited than most when discussion over cities like current or past markets are in play....

Augusta Lynx-wiki

Fresno Falcons....wiki

in fact, several posters have mentioned Fresno but which arena is in play there, not to mention competition from Fresno State, yes, the Fresno market has hockey since the FALCONS

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This was your reply to someone who mentioned the Bulls folding mid-season. Just pointing out you were incorrect.
nope, the issue I have is Centrum posts incorrect links and articles that have little to no bearing on the topic, or the present situation.... Avs..... what good would it do Manchester to be independent if the financial picture is as bleak as having the franchise up for sale..... then his constant solution is to the drop the Kings..... what the fanbases want and what hasn't been answered is. where does LA Go next, and if Manchester isn't a viable market no active team is going to a franchise that's been stable for 20 odd years same with WB/Scranton why isn't Pittsburgh giving up there despite evidence by the AHL that there needs to be a decision there.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
nope, the issue I have is Centrum posts incorrect links and articles that have little to no bearing on the topic, or the present situation.... Avs..... what good would it do Manchester to be independent if the financial picture is as bleak as having the franchise up for sale..... then his constant solution is to the drop the Kings..... what the fanbases want and what hasn't been answered is. where does LA Go next, and if Manchester isn't a viable market no active team is going to a franchise that's been stable for 20 odd years same with WB/Scranton why isn't Pittsburgh giving up there despite evidence by the AHL that there needs to be a decision there.
:headache:

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

This was shocking to me when I heard that last night. I'm surprised they simply didn't move the remainder of the series to St John's or give game 7 if necessary back to Manchester. My guess is the travel situation prevented that and it's tough luck Monarchs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
that's on you, not me, CH, STILL waiting for the solution where LA GOES if they leave MCH, AND NO FAN was in favor of how the Blues treated WOR, SAME was said about HFD when it rebranded mid season even though MSG owns it....

MCH'S losses were covered by LA UP UNTIL PPI bought/coerced them to sell.... if it wasn't for LA, New Hampshire might still be an open territory the way Kentucky was between 1996-2001, and there's no chance of hockey returning there professionally, and it was a stretch even then after what the Afr's did, not just Louisville, but Port Huron, and Elmira as the vets know in the E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad