Value of: Monahan

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Monahan continues to play like this what could Habs get for him at deadline? Keep in mind Montreal can retain 50%. He has had good start to season.

Normal we would try and re-sign him but Habs be in Bedard sweepstakes. Speed, size, character, good on faceoffs some of his characteristics I noticed. About a solid #2 NHL center I would grade Monahan.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Seriously, it depends on how he preforms but it's really early.

Pump the brakes here.

That being said, I hope he scores 30 but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to see him in Calgary next year on a cheap deal but I can't see trading much to get him back this year unless he had a great year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Seriously, it depends on how he preforms but it's really early.

Pump the brakes here.

That being said, I hope he scores 30 but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to see him in Calgary next year on a cheap deal but I can't see trading much to get him back this year unless he had a great year.
A good #2 NHL center with 50% retain would have high value. Habs be asking for a first plus

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
If he can get to 25G-25A pace by the deadline, I think teams would offer a late first with 50% retained.

Colorado maybe? NYR? Not sure who else needs centres

Reactions: Nevins and HabsQC

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Monahan continues to play like this what could Habs get for him at deadline? Keep in mind Montreal can retain 50%. He has had good start to season.

Normal we would try and re-sign him but Habs be in Bedard sweepstakes. Speed, size, character, good on faceoffs some of his characteristics I noticed. About a solid #2 NHL center I would grade Monahan.
He's not a solid #2C on any contender.

He has a track record of starting off strong and then completely falling apart by the AS break. Even at a 3.2M cap hit there will probably be more appealing rental options for contenders, but I could see him getting the Habs a mid round pick if he continues to play well.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
A late 2nd rd pick in 2023 would be great.
Don't forget that the habs allready got a fisrt pick for taking him in.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

assuming he doesn’t have a career year and is healthy…

thr problrm is his cap hit.

look around at what teams have the cap space to absorb $3M cap hit?

in terms of actual salary this season…Pat Kane will be less than 50% of ehst Monahan is owed. This becomes a big factor in the cost to include a third team to retain on him.

actual money ( not cap hit) determines what you have to pay a middle team to retain.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If he can get to 25G-25A pace by the deadline, I think teams would offer a late first with 50% retained.

Colorado maybe? NYR? Not sure who else needs centres
Even then I don't see it. The question will be can he reproduce those numbers on a team besides the Habs.

The Habs have been trying to sign and trade vets for years. How many have actually brought in these huge returns?

Reactions: Voight

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
If Monahan keeps playing like what?

He had a goal against Toronto but was otherwise pretty bad, and hasn't done anything since.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
if he can put up 35 points before the deadline he would be worth similar to what Andrew Copp got which was 2 2nd round rounds picks a 3rd and a medium tier prospect.

but I would suspect he doesn't and he will be closer value to 1 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
assuming he doesn’t have a career year and is healthy…

thr problrm is his cap hit.

look around at what teams have the cap space to absorb $3M cap hit?

in terms of actual salary this season…Pat Kane will be less than 50% of ehst Monahan is owed. This becomes a big factor in the cost to include a third team to retain on him.

actual money ( not cap hit) determines what you have to pay a middle team to retain.
Actual money owed is the least important factor for a playoff team. Le Lenght and cap hit is what counts.
Even then I don't see it. The question will be can he reproduce those numbers on a team besides the Habs.

The Habs have been trying to sign and trade vets for years. How many have actually brought in these huge returns?
Toffoli, Kulak and Chiarot.
Before last season we were very rarely sellers.we were signing vets to compete not trade them away...

Reactions: abo9

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
if he can put up 35 points before the deadline he would be worth similar to what Andrew Copp got which was 2 2nd round rounds picks a 3rd and a medium tier prospect.

but I would suspect he doesn't and he will be closer value to 1 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick.
They are very different players. Copp touches every area. Monahan pre-injury was lethal in the slot and good in the face-off circle. He positioned himself well defensively, but didn't have the wheels to keep up with fast centers. He really tried to be physical last season, but it's just not his game.

I wish him well, but he isn't Andrew Copp.

Actual money owed is the least important factor for a playoff team. Le Lenght and cap hit is what counts.

Toffoli, Kulak and Chiarot.
Before last season we were very rarely sellers.we were signing vets to compete not trade them away...
You guys destroyed us on that Toffoli trade. I said at the time my max was Valimaki and a 2nd.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m cheering for him to rebound , but it’s a little early to pass judgement . He has had multiple major surgeries to his shoulder / hip/ hand. Wait and see if he can sustain this level of play before people say he is a 25g 25a player .

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I remember when Habs fans said the Flames would be lucky to get Struble of Norlinder for Gaudreau. Now Monahan is worth a 1st?

What are you guys smoking over there besides meat?
Weed of course haha
But really Struble or Norlinder vs Gaudreau? We have many fans here, but I think 99.9% of our fan base wouldn't think or say that.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I remember when Habs fans said the Flames would be lucky to get Struble of Norlinder for Gaudreau. Now Monahan is worth a 1st?

What are you guys smoking over there besides meat?

I remember when Flames fans said that Monahan had positive value in the 2022 offseason and that the only way Calgary eould give up a 1st for Toffoli was if Montreal retained 50% of the contract.

Then again, I also remember that it wasn't all or even most Flames fans. But I also know that "I remember when [Team] fans" statements are almost universally idiotic.

Monahan has looked better and healthier in the pre-season/3 games this year than he has in years. But his trade value will be decided by a larger sample.

People also seem to still not understand how the flat cap has changed the trade market and we're almost out of the flat cap era.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
They are very different players. Copp touches every area. Monahan pre-injury was lethal in the slot and good in the face-off circle. He positioned himself well defensively, but didn't have the wheels to keep up with fast centers. He really tried to be physical last season, but it's just not his game.

I wish him well, but he isn't Andrew Copp.

You guys destroyed us on that Toffoli trade. I said at the time my max was Valimaki and a 2nd.
Monahan at 6.375 million is negative value.
Monahan at 3.2 million or 50 % cap retention is decent value at his current form.
But Monahan with a return to form and 50 % cap retention and pacing 50 points as a good defensive C would get a very good return and the price would be similar to what Copp got last season on the high end and on the low end a 1st or 2nd and a 3rd.

Reactions: Reydin

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
If he's having a very good season (70 pt pace) and he's the best center available then he could probably get a late first. Otherwise I think we're looking closer to a second round pick with a sweetener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad