[MOD] Pavelec done for the year?

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
Surgery with recovery time of 2-4 weeks seems pretty minor...like play-through-it-and-wait-for-the-offseason minor.

The word I heard a few weeks ago after he left that game was that he didn't wear his knee brace first time after his "Shane Doan's" injury and his knee "clicked". The prognosis was that he needed a surgery at that time. They might have tried to "patch" it before TD, hard to say ...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wow - that was unexpected!

So Hellebuyck is going to play every game left in the season (absent maybe a Comrie late-season call up after we're officially eliminated)? I don't think Maurice has a tiny shred of confidence in Hutch these days...

Honestly I think this is good for Connor's development anyways.

Up at em Helle

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
Sounds like meniscus....my kid who is a goalie had surgery last year in early January, missed 4 weeks and came back for the play-offs. I'd expect the treatment that an NHL player would get would far exceed what my kid got. Likely back before the season is over.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The word I heard a few weeks ago after he left that game was that he didn't wear his knee brace first time after his "Shane Doan's" injury and his knee "clicked". The prognosis was that he needed a surgery at that time. They might have tried to "patch" it before TD, hard to say ...

He's been wearing a knee brace since the Doan injury? I didn't know that...

So if that's the case - they knew a couple of weeks before the TD that Pavs might be out for a big chunk of the remainder of the year...hmmm.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Paraphrasing Maurice today - he basically said Pavelec didn't get through a workout and didn't want to take a chance. It sounds like it was Pav who bailed on the team. Perhaps he wants to get fixed now so he is 100% for offseason workouts. I guess he thinks he'll still be somewhere in the NHL next season

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/03/06/knee-surgery-for-pavelec

Before the Blues game Maurice said Pavelec didn't get through his off-ice workout “to my liking.”

“He didn't get through the workout comfortably and decided he wasn't going to risk it,” Maurice said on Monday.

Maurice is the master at changing the story. Before the Blues game Mo didn't like the workout and today it's Pavelec that didn't like it.

Someone wants Pavelec back...

“He's been around this group forever,” Mathieu Perreault, one of Pavelec's better friends on the team, said. “I don't know what the future holds for him. I figured here with the younger guys I would be surprised if they re-sign him. But if they do, great.”

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I for one am not unhappy that this is likely the end of the Pavelec era.

Hope he makes a full recovery but there was not one player who underperformed more for what he was paid the last 5 years.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I've always thought Pavs was a bad goalie, but I don't like seeing it end like is for him. Plus, I would have felt better with him backing up Hellebuyck than Hutchinson. I hope Hutch still has a few wins in him -- would love to see 2014 Hutch again for a few games.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Guess I didn't.

So one tweet and a bunch of people--none of whom have any interest seeing him play for the Jets again--wishing him the best and you rail against "Jets fans".

Some so-called Jets fans also wished for bad performances by Pavelec when he was called up.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I've always thought Pavs was a bad goalie, but I don't like seeing it end like is for him. Plus, I would have felt better with him backing up Hellebuyck than Hutchinson. I hope Hutch still has a few wins in him -- would love to see 2014 Hutch again for a few games.

By all accounts this was self inflicted surgery. Pav chose to end it this way

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
And as for the issue at hand, I see zero reason why "I'm glad the Pavelec era is finally, it would seem, officially over" and "it sucks that he has a serious physical malady and I hope he recovers fast and fully." cannot coexist in the same mindspace. I know it does for me, and many other posters have explicitly said as much.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Please address individual posts. Please do not make generalized, sweeping statements about "Jets fans":

1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks.

As far as the rule about wishing injury:

2) Trolling: Wishing injury/illness on anyone (players, members, etc.) will be regarded as trolling/offensive in most cases.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I couldn't've been happier to have him as our first goalie.

I know he had his ups and downs but I appreciate him. Hope him all the best with wherever he goes.

But I wouldn't mind calling up Comrie as a back-up or for the Playoffs to back-up Hellebuyck.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I couldn't've been happier to have him as our first goalie.

I know he had his ups and downs but I appreciate him. Hope him all the best with wherever he goes.

But I wouldn't mind calling up Comrie as a back-up or for the Playoffs to back-up Hellebuyck.

You want to set up Comrie with a chance to succeed. Throwing him in his first-ever NHL game while we're in the playoff race, or even worse, in the playoffs, is terribly unfair to the kid.

If we're out of it and the pressure is off... then sure let's see what he can do.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
By all accounts this was self inflicted surgery. Pav chose to end it this way

Because he wasn't wearing his knee brace? I'm guessing that Pav didn't purposely injure himself but I guess it's arguably irresponsible to not wear the brace assuming that this wasn't done under supervision/advice of medical staff.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
So they force him to have unnecessary surgery and he agrees?

unnecessary+surgery+land.jpg

Something seemed fishy from Maurice's explanation on Friday. How does a goalie get through the on-ice portion just fine, but then get scratched because coach isn't happy with the off-ice portion? I've honestly never heard of that happening.

Before the Blues game Maurice said Pavelec didn't get through his off-ice workout “to my liking.”

“He didn't get through the workout comfortably and decided he wasn't going to risk it,” Maurice said on Monday.

Maurice is the master at changing the story. Before the Blues game Mo didn't like the workout and today it's Pavelec that didn't like it.

Can't even get the story straight. The whole off-ice workout angle sounded like BS to begin with.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Because he wasn't wearing his knee brace? I'm guessing that Pav didn't purposely injure himself but I guess it's arguably irresponsible to not wear the brace assuming that this wasn't done under supervision/advice of medical staff.

Listen to Maurice today. He said Pavelec himself didn't want to take a chance. The surgery could have likely waited until the season was over

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Reading between the lines, it sounds exactly like when Eddie Pasquale took himself out of the lineup to have surgery done on his hips a few years ago. He was traded to Washington that off season.

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
The Pavs Era has come to a whimpering end... thankfully.

All the best somewhere else Pavvy, just as long as it not in the NHL.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

Good lord. "master at changing the story"! :facepalm:

Isn't it possible NEITHER of them liked the fact that Pavs was experiencing pain or discomfort during his workout?

It's absolutely ridiculous how some people will pick apart every word a coach or GM says to find the most trivial imaginary inconsistency.

Someone wants Pavelec back...

“He's been around this group forever,” Mathieu Perreault, one of Pavelec's better friends on the team, said. “I don't know what the future holds for him. I figured here with the younger guys I would be surprised if they re-sign him. But if they do, great.”

Yeah. I'm sure Perreault is going to say "good riddance" to a teammate he's played with for years, just as news of his injury breaks.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Please address individual posts. Please do not make generalized, sweeping statements about "Jets fans":

As far as the rule about wishing injury:

Just to be clear I did not wish nor celebrate Pavelecs surgery or injury. Just happy he's gone. That's a positive for the team. I wish him luck in any future endeavors.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
As far as I am concerned at this point the more games for Helle from here on out, the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad