Prospect Info: Mock draft, got handed Tampa.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I could see us making a cap trade. I do wonder if Y is going to sour on Miller with his play this round. He was effective-ish in the first two rounds, but this one... yeesh. 5mil is a lot when we already have Killorn/Johnson/Palat taking that type of cash and having to re-sign Kucherov and (hopefully) McD.

The big issues are - we don't have a first this year and (hopefully) next year, so if there is a way to get back into the first round Yzerman may do it. We have a lot of young guys banging on the door, so moving one of Johnson/Killorn/Miller isn't going to cripple us by any stretch.

I would like to see a bold move along those lines. Trading Killorn and bringing up Joseph, re-signing Kucherov and McDonagh, and maybe moving Coburn would all be gravy in my book.

I would trade Johnson and Miller if possible. Miller had good chemistry with the top 2 in the regular season and would be a good 50+ points but this playoff shows he's not that important. Same for Johnson, he's been producing ok in the regular season but these playoffs he hasn't been his usual self and I think we could move on from him and not be hurt too bad. We have some guys who are close to stepping into a top 9 role and we would save 10mil in the process. I would consider moving both if possible. I'd do Killorn too but the market might not be as good.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I could see Coburn being in a similar situation as Brewer was with us next season. The odd man out that nets us a 3rd / 4th rounder. That's only because Sustr steps out of his shell and because a top pairing dman for us.. I kid I kid.. well about that last part.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Unless we get a late 1st for Coburn I see no reason to move him. His contract ends when we need it to and allows one of Masin, Cernak and Foote another year of development. The other thing is he's a proven playoff performer. No matter how good Cernak or any of the other kids look we will most likely be looking to add a depth veteran defender at the deadline. With Coburn we don't need to do that and save ourselves some assets later in the year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hedman-Sergachev was dynamic in the playoffs. Run with that imo.

Hedman-Sergachev
McDonagh-Stralman
Koekkoek-Girardi

Flip Coburn for a pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hedman-Sergachev was dynamic in the playoffs. Run with that imo.

Hedman-Sergachev
McDonagh-Stralman
Koekkoek-Girardi

Flip Coburn for a pick.

Or you know keep Coburn, have him rotate with Koekkoek and Girardi, be ready in case of injury, all while not having to go out and buy a rental at the deadline.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Or you know keep Coburn, have him rotate with Koekkoek and Girardi, be ready in case of injury, all while not having to go out and buy a rental at the deadline.
Cap space>injury insurance

We can easily sign a depth ufa who won’t cost almost 4 mil

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We have four defensemen with contracts coming off the books next year, which allows us to pick and choose who comes back, depending on any prospects who can break into our lineup next season. It's not a bad spot to be in.

We don't need to actively create cap-space right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He doesn’t have to be better. Won’t be hard to find a random ufa dman who will sign a 1-2 year 1-2 mil per deal.

Why would we target a worse player? Unless we get a big return for Coburn, which we won't, it makes no sense to downgrade for less than 2mil in savings. Koekkoek isn't even better than him yet so it's not like we aren't losing anything giving him the job.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cant imagine the put a rookie and a sophomore together, but in a few years they will be a monster pairing. Thoight cernak was more impressive at the rookie camp.

Yeah, don't see them being being paired together yet, just a great complimentary duo in a couple of years.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not sure how to interpret this. Is this limited to 1st and 2nd round prospects? I would think that they would do their due diligence regardless of what picks we hold.
The combine is only like 100 players.

Combine day isn't normally going to hugely sway a team one way or another, and if someone really screws up at the interviews, everyone will hear about it anyway. Everyone's long done research on the top guys leading up to Dallas.

TB may also not want teams meme'ing that they're looking to move up because they're talking to guys that'll be gone in the first 50 picks.

Reactions: Hoek

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The combine is only like 100 players.

Combine day isn't normally going to hugely sway a team one way or another, and if someone really screws up at the interviews, everyone will hear about it anyway. Everyone's long done research on the top guys leading up to Dallas.

TB may also not want teams meme'ing that they're looking to move up because they're talking to guys that'll be gone in the first 50 picks.

See, I think when you're dealing with kids at this age, the interview means a lot more than many people value it. We've had success with high-motor kids (Cirelli, Kucherov) and problems with talented but immature players (Drouin, DeAngelo). Even if we're not going to move up it's worth our time. Columbus had a really good interview with Seth Jones in 2013 even though they weren't in a position to draft him, and then traded for him 3 years later.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
See, I think when you're dealing with kids at this age, the interview means a lot more than many people value it. We've had success with high-motor kids (Cirelli, Kucherov) and problems with talented but immature players (Drouin, DeAngelo). Even if we're not going to move up it's worth our time. Columbus had a really good interview with Seth Jones in 2013 even though they weren't in a position to draft him, and then traded for him 3 years later.
I don't know how TB allotted their time, but the top prospects (like Jones, Drouin, and DeAngelo) were well known quantities. It's the guys down the rankings that need the attention to find those motor players like Kuch and Cirelli.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Defenseman Filip Johansson of Leksand in Sweden's junior league said he was confused when a team showed him a picture of a bus and asked him which way the bus was going.

It's a picture, it's not going either direction.
*air horn noises*

2019 NHL Combine

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad