Prospect Info: Mock draft, got handed Tampa.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Most of our organizational needs we can't fill with a second round pick, but a scoring line center, some righty D, and a goalie project(preferably college or international) would be a solid draft. Jacob Olofsson or Jakub Skarek would be my preferred 2nd round picks if one falls. No clue about late 3rd and beyond.

I'm pretty sure the Lightning make a trade or two to get some picks back this offseason.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Right handed dman, goalie. What we don’t need is another center imo. (With our NHL guys as well as Peca Lipanov Somppi Guttman etc)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure why everyone thinks we are so much thinner on the right side than the left? Especially if Sergachev stays on the right it's even worse. We have Foote, Cernak as top guys with Thomas, Spencer and Perbix longer shots. The left it's Masin a top guy with long shots in Sosunov and Zuhlsdorf. We shouldn't look for a specific hand for one, we need one to be an offensive guy though. We definitely need a goalie this draft, after not picking one last year and Oldham not even playing much in the NCAA we are ridiculously thin. I can see us even grabbing a couple of them, a CHL one and a Euro. Forward wise don't have a preference on a position, you can always move centers to the wing, we have good depth on both wings too. We've gone a bit heavy with kids going the NCAA route the past two years, we also moved out two CHL guys so not a ton of prospects making the jump to pro the next two years, could see an overager targeted again.

2nd round- Blake McCloughlin LW
3rd round- Sean Durzi RD
4th round - Bulat Shafigullin RW
5th round- Alexis Gravel G
6th round- Caleb Everett RD
7th round- Jack Perbix C
7th round- Janis Voris G

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'll bet we have another draft where we pick surprisingly large players, given our M.O. for tiny speedsters. Last year we seemed to look for bigger, sturdier players. Wouldn't be surprised to see us do that again.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'll bet we have another draft where we pick surprisingly large players, given our M.O. for tiny speedsters. Last year we seemed to look for bigger, sturdier players. Wouldn't be surprised to see us do that again.

Kirill Marchenko is your man.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Not sure why everyone thinks we are so much thinner on the right side than the left? Especially if Sergachev stays on the right it's even worse. We have Foote, Cernak as top guys with Thomas, Spencer and Perbix longer shots. The left it's Masin a top guy with long shots in Sosunov and Zuhlsdorf. We shouldn't look for a specific hand for one, we need one to be an offensive guy though. We definitely need a goalie this draft, after not picking one last year and Oldham not even playing much in the NCAA we are ridiculously thin. I can see us even grabbing a couple of them, a CHL one and a Euro. Forward wise don't have a preference on a position, you can always move centers to the wing, we have good depth on both wings too. We've gone a bit heavy with kids going the NCAA route the past two years, we also moved out two CHL guys so not a ton of prospects making the jump to pro the next two years, could see an overager targeted again.

2nd round- Blake McCloughlin LW
3rd round- Sean Durzi RD
4th round - Bulat Shafigullin RW
5th round- Alexis Gravel G
6th round- Caleb Everett RD
7th round- Jack Perbix C
7th round- Janis Voris G
Hedman and McDonagh are lefty

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hedman and McDonagh are lefty

McDonagh will be 29 next month and there's no guarantee we are resigning him. So if he's gone then you have Masin as the only one looking NHL caliber to come in. On the right Foote and Cernak are for sure NHL guys and if Sergachev stays on the right we are set for years. If we resign McDonagh then Masin is all we need for a few years but these kids will be 4-5 out anyway.

In my mock I picked two righties and no lefties. Durzi is just what we need in a offensive minded defender and if he's there in the 3rd we should take him. I don't expect all my picks will be there when we pick and there's plenty of LD we can grab if needed.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
McDonagh will be 29 next month and there's no guarantee we are resigning him. So if he's gone then you have Masin as the only one looking NHL caliber to come in. On the right Foote and Cernak are for sure NHL guys and if Sergachev stays on the right we are set for years. If we resign McDonagh then Masin is all we need for a few years but these kids will be 4-5 out anyway.

In my mock I picked two righties and no lefties. Durzi is just what we need in a offensive minded defender and if he's there in the 3rd we should take him. I don't expect all my picks will be there when we pick and there's plenty of LD we can grab if needed.
You are forgetting Slater Koekkoek

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You are forgetting Slater Koekkoek

You really think he has a future here? He's 4th on the depth chart on the other 3 in front of him are signed for next year. He'll be lucky to play 30 games for us next year, he needs to move for his future and with Dotchin under contract as the 7th we should try to get a late pick or AHL player for him.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
You really think he has a future here? He's 4th on the depth chart on the other 3 in front of him are signed for next year. He'll be lucky to play 30 games for us next year, he needs to move for his future and with Dotchin under contract as the 7th we should try to get a late pick or AHL player for him.
I think there’s a decent chance we trade Coburn this summer. Hedman-Sergachev has gotten some looks in the playoffs so I could see these pairs:

Hedman-Sergachev
McDonagh-Stralman
Koekkoek-Girardi

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think there’s a decent chance we trade Coburn this summer. Hedman-Sergachev has gotten some looks in the playoffs so I could see these pairs:

Hedman-Sergachev
McDonagh-Stralman
Koekkoek-Girardi

If we win the cup I'm pretty sure Yzerman is keeping this lineup intact for one more run while the cap situation is ok. Can't see him moving Coburn who's been great these playoffs unless he gets a stupid offer for him which he won't at his age with 1 year left.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If we win the cup I'm pretty sure Yzerman is keeping this lineup intact for one more run while the cap situation is ok. Can't see him moving Coburn who's been great these playoffs unless he gets a stupid offer for him which he won't at his age with 1 year left.
Might need to though, to have the cap space to re-sign Miller and Paquette.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Might need to though, to have the cap space to re-sign Miller and Paquette.

We have 18 players under contract with just under 68mil caphit for them all. We should be able to sign Erne, Paquette and Miller with no problem. If we move anybody anyway it'll be a forward not on defense, a Miller, Johnson or Killorn should be easier to replace from within right now and will be better for us in the long run too.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I still think Serge ends up on the left side long term, but maybe not next year with McDonough still here. I don’t see Tampa having the cap room to keep Ryan long term.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Keeping the lineup perfectly intact is a mistake defending champs constantly make. I would hope Yzerman would avoid that temptation. Always room for improvement.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There is less than zero chance KK is on this roster next season. He couldn't even make it into the lineup before the McDonagh trade.

Dotchin may hang around by virtue of his two year deal, although I think he needs a great camp to avoid waivers. We might go for an FA Dman this summer (or try to acquire one in trade).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Keeping the lineup perfectly intact is a mistake defending champs constantly make. I would hope Yzerman would avoid that temptation. Always room for improvement.

Well Kunitz won't be back so either Erne has that spot or one of about 5 prospects could be in that spot. I really don't see much need for turnover as we've been to the ECF 3 of the last 4 years with mostly this group. If they blow the next two I can see a couple of moves but I don't think more than replacing Kunitz and possibly trading a Miller or Johnson.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Well Kunitz won't be back so either Erne has that spot or one of about 5 prospects could be in that spot. I really don't see much need for turnover as we've been to the ECF 3 of the last 4 years with mostly this group. If they blow the next two I can see a couple of moves but I don't think more than replacing Kunitz and possibly trading a Miller or Johnson.
I could see us making a cap trade. I do wonder if Y is going to sour on Miller with his play this round. He was effective-ish in the first two rounds, but this one... yeesh. 5mil is a lot when we already have Killorn/Johnson/Palat taking that type of cash and having to re-sign Kucherov and (hopefully) McD.

The big issues are - we don't have a first this year and (hopefully) next year, so if there is a way to get back into the first round Yzerman may do it. We have a lot of young guys banging on the door, so moving one of Johnson/Killorn/Miller isn't going to cripple us by any stretch.

I would like to see a bold move along those lines. Trading Killorn and bringing up Joseph, re-signing Kucherov and McDonagh, and maybe moving Coburn would all be gravy in my book.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There is less than zero chance KK is on this roster next season. He couldn't even make it into the lineup before the McDonagh trade.

Dotchin may hang around by virtue of his two year deal, although I think he needs a great camp to avoid waivers. We might go for an FA Dman this summer (or try to acquire one in trade).

I don't see the point in waiving Dotchin even if he won't be more than the 7th or 8th defender. Foote and Cernak should be the top 2 RD in Syracuse so Dotchin would just take minutes. For the 3rd spot we have one of Thomas or Spencer, we may also bring back McBain as he was a good veteran. Dotchin is either on our roster or traded before the season.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't see the point in waiving Dotchin even if he won't be more than the 7th or 8th defender. Foote and Cernak should be the top 2 RD in Syracuse so Dotchin would just take minutes. For the 3rd spot we have one of Thomas or Spencer, we may also bring back McBain as he was a good veteran. Dotchin is either on our roster or traded before the season.
Some of that is contingent on whether we keep Coburn around (we likely will so it's probably moot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->