Rumor: MN talks with Kaprizov have gone cold, CSKA of the KHL interested in signing him

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Every player's #1 motivation is financial success. Every single one.
I will say yes, but that doesn't automatically mean they always take the highest $ offered either, otherwise you wouldn't have instances like Selanne and Kariya to the Avs for cheap, nor would both Suter and Parise signed in Minnesota together when Suter had a larger offer from Detroit and Parise had a larger offer from Pittsbugh. They both took less money in Minnesota (while still being a lot of money, all the offers were so high, that money did become secondary in deciding between them).

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This possibility shouldn't be written off.

Something else that's really bad for the Wild, after next season they will only have $60M of cap space for the following 3 years, while other teams will have 80.
This Math doesn’t check out

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The Hockey gods are taking a bite out of Minnesota Wild and Leipold for poaching Parise and Suter and don't have the money to pay Kaprizov...priceless

Reactions: kp61c

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
The Hockey gods are taking a bite out of Minnesota Wild and Leipold for poaching Parise and Suter and don't have the money to pay Kaprizov...priceless

Without looking it up, define poaching, because it seems like that's not a word you understand the meaning of.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Good luck in your quest to convince people that these 9 year old salary cap outlays are now franchise killers. I'm not interested in reading them for a 7th, 8th or 9th time.
Silly me, having a $15m handicap is actually an advantage apparently.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
The handicaps would have been on the roster regardless.
I don’t think so. I think Suter still has a couple years of top 4 value. Then you still have the option to buy him out at a better hit if that is still needed. I think Parise wouldn’t last 2 more years before his body says enough. But now they are paying for the personal satisfaction of removing them from the team for whatever reason they think they are poisonous to the team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don’t think so. I think Suter still has a couple years of top 4 value. Then you still have the option to buy him out at a better hit if that is still needed. I think Parise wouldn’t last 2 more years before his body says enough. But now they are paying for the personal satisfaction of removing them from the team for whatever reason they think they are poisonous to the team.
They wouldn't have gotten more cap relief by buying them out later; the buyout hits in 2023-25 (the 2 "bad" years) only go down by a few hundred thousand. This was the only year that buyouts offered any kind of advantage to the team.

Reactions: MNRube

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

Please link to your advanced scouting. I'd be interested in seeing what you have that Guerin doesn't.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Please link to your advanced scouting. I'd be interested in seeing what you have that Guerin doesn't.

Not really taking part in the discussion but jumping in to say people need to stop treating GM's like God's.

They're dumb as bricks and make mistakes on a very regular basis. This circle jerking is getting out of hand...goodrow is about to get a 6x3.6 contract ffs lol

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
He played the most minutes and within seconds of #1D in /G. Don’t tell me you are so brainwashed that you think he goes from that to nothing in a summer.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
He played the most minutes and within seconds of #1D in /G. Don’t tell me you are so brainwashed that you think he goes from that to nothing in a summer.

As I suspected.....simply the "do you always believe what your GM says?" rubbish. I am hardly a Guerin supporter to this point but you truly don't and didn't watch the Wild this year if you think that Suter even approaches a 1D anymore. His dropoff was a bit shocking and I think there is a decent chance that the Wild only bought him out about 1 year early. Which means what to this situation? Nothing. In two years the Wild either have dead cap or a 38 year old overpaid defenseman. If you are going to keep drumming up the same points for this many pages, bring something new for the readers sake at least.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Not really taking part in the discussion but jumping in to say people need to stop treating GM's like God's.

They're dumb as bricks and make mistakes on a very regular basis. This circle jerking is getting out of hand...goodrow is about to get a 6x3.6 contract ffs lol

In reality, they are for the most part, hired to be fired. Avenues to fixing problems and shuffling rosters is narrow at best so by far the easiest route is the UFA market. Of course players are overpaid there. But a bad UFA deal is usually the next guys problem.....just ask Chuck Fletcher.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
As I suspected.....simply the "do you always believe what your GM says?" rubbish. I am hardly a Guerin supporter to this point but you truly don't and didn't watch the Wild this year if you think that Suter even approaches a 1D anymore. His dropoff was a bit shocking and I think there is a decent chance that the Wild only bought him out about 1 year early. Which means what to this situation? Nothing. In two years the Wild either have dead cap or a 38 year old overpaid defenseman. If you are going to keep drumming up the same points for this many pages, bring something new for the readers sake at least.
Who said he was a #1D? If you are going to come at me going out of your way to be obnoxious at least talk about something I actually said. I’m pointing out the obvious. If you want to be seen as not just another Guerin Lemming the least you could make a real point that refutes what I have said otherwise I’ll just keep bringing up that giant hole in the cap space over an ego dispute.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Who said he was a #1D? If you are going to come at me going out of your way to be obnoxious at least talk about something I actually said. I’m pointing out the obvious. If you want to be seen as not just another Guerin Lemming the least you could make a real point that refutes what I have said otherwise I’ll just keep bringing up that giant hole in the cap space over an ego dispute.

Well you are right about one thing, you definitely understand about being obnoxious. And if "within seconds of #1D" was somehow supposed to deflect us off the fact that you actually believe Suter to still be capable of that level of play then feel free to keep yelling at clouds. The "real point" for those that actually paid attention to this situation before last week is that Suter's per minutes dropped off 10% while his PPG dropped off more than 30% in one season. There is no reason to think that a 36 year old player can reverse those kinds of trends so why not cut bait now?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Every player's #1 motivation is financial success. Every single one. If winning hockey games was their #1 objective we'd see copious amounts of players intentionally making league minimum as a means to bolster rosters.
Money > the Cup
Tell that to the Bruins, Avs, Pens and Lightning (no tax helps but they still could have demanded market aav). If you've made the NHL you've achieved financial success. When you get to the double digit aavs you're starting to hurt your teams competitiveness. There's no way around that, we see the evidence every year come playoff time. I really don't think all these guys #1 priority is money once they've gotten to the salary level that being a star in the NHL comes with. Whats really the difference in your quality of life and happiness at 9.5M salary vs 12M+? Some guys want that extra money some guys want a cup.

Evergreen

People are acting like this 15 Million in dead space came out of nowhere and wasn’t always going to be a thing when we’d have to pay Parise/Suter that money to sit in the pressbox at age 41
If we've learned anything about these absurdly long contracts, the players almost always go LTIR once their contract is becoming a real issue.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
In terms of the timing of the buyouts, as has been pointed out already the buyout numbers weren’t going to change in any appreciable way by waiting another season, and I can perhaps forgive people for not understanding that, but some in this thread also appear to ignore that doing the buyout of Suter now also allowed the Wild to protect Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba rather than wasting a protection on him. Use your heads people.

Reactions: MuckOG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad