Rumor: MN talks with Kaprizov have gone cold, CSKA of the KHL interested in signing him

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Isn't it better to trade him to a team that will be more amenable to his demands? Losing a good asset just out of spite doesn't seem to be very practical for Minnesota.
If the last two weeks have proven anything it's that Guerin's middle name ain't "Practical."

Reactions: TS Quint

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Isn't it better to trade him to a team that will be more amenable to his demands? Losing a good asset just out of spite doesn't seem to be very practical for Minnesota.

You think there is a team out there right now willing to go higher on a long term deal?

We have zero reason to believe any of this is driven by him not wanting to be in our market. It all revolves around the current state of the league and what teams are able to pay right now. It makes sense for both sides to go 4 years to get us out of the parise-suter buyouts and hopefully out of the covid affected flat cap era. At that point we may very well be able to pay him what is a fair price based on a larger sample size of games played and considering the financial state of the league.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It might be, but I don't think there's a problem with negotiating in the meantime.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
He's plotting a course to be a free agent so he can get that huge payday .

If he was on my team I want no part of him If his idea is just to cash out in 3 years and say peace
It's hilarious that other teams' fans are convinced Kaprizov wants to leave after playing one season on a team that finished with as many points as the Cup champs and was a top 10 team in the NHL. We can pay him and we can win. And even if he does want to leave, we have zero reason to move him for anything short of a massive haul.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
It's hilarious that other teams' fans are convinced Kaprizov wants to leave after playing one season on a team that finished with as many points as the Cup champs and was a top 10 team in the NHL. We can pay him and we can win. And even if he does want to leave, we have zero reason to move him for anything short of a massive haul.

You should do that now .

I can't understand how a fan base can be Comfortable with a player that doesn't want to sign long term only wants a short term deal and Using the KHL for stuff he wants.

He's a superstar don't get me wrong but I rather Get a Mega trade package instead of him leaving for the KHL next year or Trying to get to free agency

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You should do that now .

I can't understand how a fan base can be Comfortable with a player that doesn't want to sign long term only wants a short term deal and Using the KHL for stuff he wants.

He's a superstar don't get me wrong but I rather Get a Mega trade package instead of him leaving for the KHL next year or Trying to get to free agency
Long term deals aren't always the best idea regardless, for either the player or the team. I don't have any particular concerns about Kaprizov but a 4-5 year deal does have it's advantages, including keeping his cap hit a little lower for the duration of the Parise and Suter buyouts.

Trading away everyone that doesn't want to commit for 7+ years just because you're afraid of free agency isn't a great way to run a team.

Reactions: Eegs

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
You should do that now .

It's a negotiating tactic from the agent, not the player. I don't demand allegiance from a player who has spent less than a year with the organization. That's insane. I don't believe he is going to go back, but if he does, that's certainly his right. And it's certainly not because of anything the Wild did wrong.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Good luck with winning with 15 million in dead cap space for the next 4 years. Maybe he isn’t interested in rebuilding.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
-Yes.
-Also Suter and Parise.
-And they can't add any decent/big UFA name.
-Becomes the Sabres 2.0
It's a real possibility.

You just said Yes and stated things that could happen but never gave any legitimate insight as to how. The only one that you can confirm is Suter/Parise. But please continue with your takes.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
You just said Yes and stated things that could happen but never gave any legitimate insight as to how. The only one that you can confirm is Suter/Parise. But please continue with your takes.

Unless you can 100% confirm that these won't happen, this scenario is still a legit possibility. Murphy's law. It could happen, not saying that it will, but there's a chance.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
-Yes.
-Also Suter and Parise.
-And they can't add any decent/big UFA name.
-Becomes the Sabres 2.0
It's a real possibility.

This possibility shouldn't be written off.

Something else that's really bad for the Wild, after next season they will only have $60M of cap space for the following 3 years, while other teams will have 80.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Good luck with winning with 15 million in dead cap space for the next 4 years. Maybe he isn’t interested in rebuilding.
Good luck in your quest to convince people that these 9 year old salary cap outlays are now franchise killers. I'm not interested in reading them for a 7th, 8th or 9th time.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This guy seems greedy greedy greedy. As we've seen, paying this much for a player severely cripples teams. I suspect he spends most of his career on underachieving/bad teams for most of his career if this is his motivation.

Every player's #1 motivation is financial success. Every single one. If winning hockey games was their #1 objective we'd see copious amounts of players intentionally making league minimum as a means to bolster rosters.
Money > the Cup

Reactions: zeeto and kp61c

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia