OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I disagree, Diaz has poor boxing, he is a volume puncher with a good chin that destroys anyone who stands in the pocket with him... GSP will counter him all day. Diaz has horrible footwork, no head movement, and doesn't properly cut off angles as seen in the Condit fight! However I think we might see a finish in this fight as Diaz actually opens himself up looking for finishes unlike alot of other GSP opponents who play it safe. Should be a good fight IMO... I am excited for Condit/Hendricks, might see Hendricks actually go back to his wrestling if he is losing the striking battle.

i see what you are saying but gsp doesnt have the chin or heart to eat a 3-4-5 punch combo from diaz in order to land a counter shot, BJ does and look where that got him, hamburgized. Diaz isnt just a volume puncher he is a very high volume puncher with a pace that is hard to counter, when someone is throwing 1-2 combos you can time and counter that, diaz is tossing 6-7 punch combos. as for cutting off angles it is hard to cut off angles when the other person is running away from you for 15 minutes. I think hendricks will ko condit after pinning him up against the fence. Hendricks is mini Dan Henderson. imo

edit, i dont think GSP will accept that he needs to get hit in order to hit diaz and he will take him down any chance he gets and hold him there.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I don't think he's a wannabe, he is a thug loser. Take away MMA and the guy is on the streets fighting.

I think that's more along the lines of being a product of your environment. Like cornkicker said, Diaz avoided all that by dedicating himself to martial arts and even helped his brother choose that path to better his life.

Do you know what focus and dedication it takes to acheive the level he is at and what he has accomplished in life.. pretty ignorant to say something like that since I'm sure you have no idea what its like to grow up in a place like Stockton.

ps - how many thug losers train and run in triathlons ;). Diaz's personality may be out there but hes a pretty damn remarkable human being.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think that's more along the lines of being a product of your environment. Like cornkicker said, Diaz avoided all that by dedicating himself to martial arts and even helped his brother choose that path to better his life.

Do you know what focus and dedication it takes to acheive the level he is at and what he has accomplished in life.. pretty ignorant to say something like that since I'm sure you have no idea what its like to grow up in a place like Stockton.

ps - how many thug losers train and run in triathlons ;). Diaz's personality may be out there but hes a pretty damn remarkable human being.

Yet the guy gets into a fight at a hospital....

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
i do find it funny how bad diaz sounds when he talks compared to Shields and Melendez which are his buds and both come accross very intellegnet.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005

come on bro, he came to my side of the hospital and was all in my face and sht, actually the whole exchange told from both sides is pretty funny.

I wont post it here as it is filled with profanity

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

seems alright to me

BFbEaywCUAE5kGO.jpg

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
i see what you are saying but gsp doesnt have the chin or heart to eat a 3-4-5 punch combo from diaz in order to land a counter shot,

1) What are you basing this on? How does a guy with supposedly no chin or heart fight for the championship 11 times in a row? Fighting the best in the world each time? How many times has he been knocked out clean or given up in a fight?

2) Most of the slugs that Diaz has been fighting need to eat 3-4-5 punch combos to land a counter shot. GSP can eat one and land a 3-4-5 combo on the counter.

3) This fight is going to go down exactly how GSP wants it to. That's his strength. He will dictate where this fight happens. If you're foolish enough to fight Diaz's fight, you just stand there with your chin wagging in the breeze trading shots. Sure its entertaining but you won't win/keep a belt like that. Its just not dynamic enough. There isn't much strategy to it. Apart from being tougher than the other guy.

I think hendricks will ko condit after pinning him up against the fence. Hendricks is mini Dan Henderson. imo

Could be. Hendricks has as much of a puncher's chance as anyone. I think Condit is a much better fighter though. Hendricks might be a bit overconfident and in love with his hands. He'll be looking for the knockout and he'll have a hard time landing that punch. This is a big step up in competition. Kampmann is OK, but he wasn't moving his head at all in that fight and got caught moving straight backwards. Condit will be in motion constantly. Hendricks COULD win, but its going to be a lot harder than he thinks. And I hope he's not looking past Condit to GSP yet.

edit, i dont think GSP will accept that he needs to get hit in order to hit diaz and he will take him down any chance he gets and hold him there.

Might happen. For argument sake, I'll say that GSP is going to wear Diaz down in the first couple of rounds. Work the legs, body and take-downs. Then pick him apart in the later rounds. Despite Diaz being a triathlete, he can be worn down. This is MMA not a triathlon. GSP has been fighting 5 round championship fights for years and never been worn down. People always talk about Diaz's cardio. But in this fight it won't be much of an extra advantage.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
nick diaz is a character for sure, why u mad bro? why you mad? when he went off on the conference call about the soccer mom in a mini van yelling at him that she hopes gsp kicks his ass was so funny.

gsp is pampered and i hope diaz wins but i also know reality and diaz is about to get humped for 25 mins

His accusations of GSP using steroids, and ducking him, and his constant crying about how hard done by he is is boring the hell out of me. The guy has no class.

No idea what the GSP is pampered talk is about? Dudes rich, of course he has luxuries, not that Nick is broke living in a cardboard box.

GSP isn't my favourite, but I'll pick him over that Stockton cry-baby any day of the week...:laugh:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I expect to see GSP put on a display of ground and pound we haven't seen from him since his second Penn fight.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I think Diaz is just really freaked by the media. I met him at UFC 97. Cool as hell, very normal. He didn't seem to have trouble putting thoughts together or anything. It might also be because of during the lead ups to fights he's not smoking, so that might make him a little more self aware.

zeus3007*

I think Diaz is just really freaked by the media. I met him at UFC 97. Cool as hell, very normal. He didn't seem to have trouble putting thoughts together or anything. It might also be because of during the lead ups to fights he's not smoking, so that might make him a little more self aware.

So they guy has to be stoned to put a sentence together? Ha ha ha, sounds like a winner to me. Even if he does somehow manage to win, he'll probably fail the drug test anyway. I can't wait to see GSP make Diaz look like a fool.

TheGudge

Jun 25, 2007
Definitely not sober
So they guy has to be stoned to put a sentence together? Ha ha ha, sounds like a winner to me. Even if he does somehow manage to win, he'll probably fail the drug test anyway. I can't wait to see GSP make Diaz look like a fool.

Social anxiety can mess people up in all kinds of ways. **** I remember barely even being able to speak in class when I had to do presentations in University... while sober. But give me a couple beers and a little toke and I didn't give a **** anymore. Took me a few years to figure that out.

But go GSP still :handclap:

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

He has social anxiety problems. A lot of people who have issues with that need weed not to be a mess around people. I'm not really the biggest Diaz fan by any means, I actually like GSP more, but I still think it's going to be a great fight. GSP has better wrestling then anyone Nick's faced but Nick has better from his back BJJ than anyone GSP has fought. Nick can perform a gogo from guard, not many people on the planet can pull that off.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I don't think he's a wannabe, he is a thug loser. Take away MMA and the guy is on the streets fighting.

That funny, because all I ever hear from people who have actually met Diaz is that he is a great guy. He'll even stop to take pictures with his fans too as well since they always seem to have a picture with him.

Just because he is horrible at dealing with the media doesn't mean he is a "thug loser". :shakehead

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
That funny, because all I ever hear from people who have actually met Diaz is that he is a great guy. He'll even stop to take pictures with his fans too as well since they always seem to have a picture with him.

Just because he is horrible at dealing with the media doesn't mean he is a "thug loser". :shakehead

Being nice to the MMA fan base doesn't excuse they way he acts though. The constant flapping his arms in the air when he's fighting and the notorious "Stockton Slap" is straight up disrespectful. I tend to ignore what he says to the media because most of it is for show but he comes off as a ********* and loses respect.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
When has Diaz ever got picked apart? I don't see anybody ever picking Diaz apart, especially not a fighter like GSP. The guy has no stand up talent what so ever.

That's not really fair to say. He's not going to knock you out but he can't definitely pick you apart and break your spirit. He broke Koscheck's face in what was basically a boxing match :laugh:

kos2.png

Lewy

May 26, 2011
That's not really fair to say. He's not going to knock you out but he can't definitely pick you apart and break your spirit. He broke Koscheck's face in what was basically a boxing match :laugh:

kos2.png

******* that was a beautiful thing to behold.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton

kos2.png

Koscheck of all people? The guy that everybody knows is about to get cut?

Nick Diaz is just a whole different beast to be dealing with at stand up. Georges wouldn't dare.

zeus3007*

He has social anxiety problems. A lot of people who have issues with that need weed not to be a mess around people. I'm not really the biggest Diaz fan by any means, I actually like GSP more, but I still think it's going to be a great fight. GSP has better wrestling then anyone Nick's faced but Nick has better from his back BJJ than anyone GSP has fought. Nick can perform a gogo from guard, not many people on the planet can pull that off.

I'm not trying to get off topic here, but nobody "needs" weed to get over social anxiety. I used to have social anxiety issues, and got over those without having to smoke pot every time I was in a situation where it might kick in. I'm not condoning the use of pot, smoke it if you want, but to use it as an excuse is simply b.s.

I do agree though, that Nick is pretty dangerous on his back, but GSP knows that I'm sure. I don't think he'll be in major trouble this fight.

zeus3007*

When has Diaz ever got picked apart? I don't see anybody ever picking Diaz apart, especially not a fighter like GSP. The guy has no stand up talent what so ever.

GSP's stand up isn't flashy, but he's a good stand up fighter as well. He'll throw jab after jab and bruise up anyone. He's good at avoiding shots as well.

zeus3007*

Koscheck of all people? The guy that everybody knows is about to get cut?

Nick Diaz is just a whole different beast to be dealing with at stand up. Georges wouldn't dare.

Koschek is also the guy who was on a huge winning streak and had beaten a lot of good fighters at that point. GSP broke his spirit, and he hasn't been the same fighter since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad