MLD 2017 Draft Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Packers select Jim Pappin, the right winger most renowned for scoring the Leafs last cup-winning goal, he leading all NHLers in playoff goals and points that postseason, most impressively scoring against the mighty Habs in the final series alone: 4 goals and 4 assists. Earlier that year, in the regular season he had led the Leafs in powerplay goals and penalties and was one of only two Toronto players to score more than 20 goals, and the NHL's co-leader in game-winning goals with 7. Two seasons later in Chicago the only teammate who scored more goals and game winners was Bobby Hull, as Pappin scored 30 goals on a career-high 208 shots. The following season Pappin scored seven game winners again, only one short of the NHL lead. His third season in Chicago he was an important part of the Blackhawks Game 7 Stanley Cup Finals run against Montreal as Pappin had a career-high 10 playoff goals, one short of Bobby Hull, but clearly ahead of everyone on the team in even strength goals with 8 that postseason. His fourth season in Chicago he was second to Bobby Hull again in team goals, 25 of which were at even strength. His fifth season in Chicago he had a career year in goals (40) and points (92), leading all Blackhawks in both categories as Bobby Hull had bolted to the WHA (Note: Pappin would go to the all-star game all three years following Bobby's exit). That season 32 of his goals were at even strength and in the playoffs he had a team-leading 7 even strength markers as the Blackhawks again went on a Stanley Cup Finals run - only less than Mahovlich and Cournoyer on the winning Habs. The following year was his 6th in Chicago and again he led the Blackhawks in goals (32) and game winners (8). In the playoffs he was the only Blackhawk to score more than one game winner, and finished second in team playoff scoring to Stan Mikita. Pappin finished off his impressive 7-year stint in Chicago by tying Mikita for the team lead in goals (36), including a team-leading 27 at even strength. But, in the playoffs, the 35 year old finally failed to impress offensively and was shipped to an expansion Golden Seals and he retired not long thereafter. In his 7 years in Chicago he had averaged over 30 goals a year, consistently a team leader in offense, perhaps most notably his 35 game-winning goals (plus 5 more in the playoffs). The fact that he was known also for his defensive play and that he led all Blackhawk forwards each year in penalties (one or two dmen often had much more) is a testament to his effectiveness. His one very good season in Toronto and great championship playoffs as a Leaf overshadows the body of his work in Chicago.

pappin-thumb-572xauto-153398.jpg

Don Cherry said:
"He could skate, he was mean, he could score goals. He'd be worth about five million bucks a year now."

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Garry Unger, C. This draft is slightly deeper but looking at the names on the board I'm just as confident in a Lacroix/Unger 1/2 punch as last year. Unger's goal scoring will mesh well with Whitney's playmaking on the 2nd line.

Carson Cooper, RW. Cooper has really been underrated in part drafts. Not saying he needs to be in the ATD, but he's often drafted fairly early in the mld and given a scoring line role, but he never gets any fanfare and the reason probably is his short nhl prime. But he was a dominant senior league star before that, and the large scale league equivalency projects I've been doing have shown me the same thing that Iain Fyffe found - that Carson has a stellar overall offensive teams, one of the very best of the 1920s. Very goal-biased, he'll look good with Lacroix.

Don Awrey, D. Awrey was a pure defensive defensemen who played 24 minutes a game for teams 39% better than average in the 8 years following expansion, without much powerplay time in there. Previously an ATD mainstay, he had arguably the best icetime profile in last year's MLD and he's right in the mix again this year.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Damnit thought I could wait on Awrey till next round

He's just the kind of guy to put next to an offenseman on a 2nd pairing here.

Scoring line glue guys get harder to find every year, as the best scorers trickle upwards to 4th line mld roles. Hextall was the only "true" one on the board. Tardif is passable. Pappin, maybe. And those are the three best taken!!!

3rd line centers aren't so bad. There are a few every bit as good offensively as 2nd liners here, with some defensive value. If people want to build their 3rd lines like they did in the main draft, there are more than enough of those to go around.

Goalies and coaches make me go "meh, I'll wait." It's not that they're bad, not at all. It's just...who's the best? I'll let someone else decide.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
44. seventieslord - Regina Capitals - ON THE CLOCK (6 hours, 47 minutes remaining)

45. ResilientBeast - Atlanta Thrashers -
46. Hobnobs - Rogle BK -

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Packers select 6'2, 218 lbs. Paul Maclean, the right winger who averaged 35 goals a season over a 9-year span, mostly in Winnipeg. He led the Jets in goals in 1984 with his first of three 40-goal seasons and three times led the team in game-clinching goals, with five seasons of 5 or more winners. Two years after Maclean's career-high 101-point, 41-goal season he "only" scored 34 goals yet was the co-leader in team powerplay goals with 10, as many as 47-goal, 100-point Hawerchuk, and even then Maclean had more game winners than any other Jet! That very season he had two hat tricks in 6-5 and 5-4 wins. "Big Mac" would score three more hat tricks the following season and eight in all to place him in the top-100 of all-time, tied with guys like Palffy, Stamkos, Sundin and Alfredsson.

maclean1.jpg

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
... a solid defensive player and, thanks to his size and balance, an above average grinder. It was often MacLean's job to retrieve pucks from the heavy traffic areas in the corners and the slot. He was a handful for defensemen to handle, but because he was generally such a clean player he rarely garnered the notice other lesser players have received.

MacLean had good anticipation skills and surprising speed for such a big man. Offensively he relied on his terrific wrist shot, which feature a very quick release. He was far from one dimensional though, as he had good vision and, with soft passes, he utilized his linemates well.

All told, Paul MacLean scored 324 goals, 349 assists for 673 points in 719 career games.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I like the picks of Jovanovski and Green. They'll be less consistent than a lot of the defensemen drafted before them, but when they are on, they are much bigger impact players. And I think that potential impact players are a pretty rare commodity at this level, even if they need their weaknesses sheltered.

Vlasic is an impact player himself, just in a completely different way.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Packers select Pit Martin and re-unite 2/3rds of the all-time great MPH line that scored over 1300 points together in less than 7 years as a line. They were voted as the starters in the 1974 All-Star Game together, and were introduced at that All-Star game (and skated onto the ice) together.

MPHCover.jpg

Between 1968 and 1975, Martin, Pappin and Hull were three of the most consistent offensive players for the Blackhawks, as well as arguably their strongest defensive line. In their seven years together, the “MPH Line†produced over 1,300 points – setting a team record for points in a season (272 in 1972-73) – and helped fill the offensive void left by Bobby Hull’s departure to the WHA in 1972.

The irony of the MPH Line – their chemistry, their selflessness, their friendship – is that the combination of Martin, Pappin and Hull was never supposed to be. Martin and Pappin, acquired from Boston and Toronto, respectively, were brought in to play with Bobby Hull. But when Hull held out in a contract dispute, Hawks head coach Billy Reay added Bobby’s brother Dennis to the line instead.

“We seemed to be the perfect line because each of us knew what our job was,†Hull explains. “Everybody knew what they were supposed to do. Pit was fast and good with the puck; Jimmy was a great playmaker; and I could shoot. We each did well and we wanted each other to succeed as well.â€
https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/blackhawks-magazine-the-mph-line/c-477121

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Richmond makes up our skipped picks with D Tomas Kaberle and LW Taylor Hall (was surprised his 7 year 250 VsX fits right alongside Rick Nash and Tony Amonte. Given the LW depth, guess he's a decent top 6 MLDer now)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Packers select 6'5, 220 lbs. Bob Dailey, the 1st round pick by Vancouver who in his sophomore year was voted top Canucks defenseman, scoring 13 goals and 48 points, 2nd in team assists for the struggling expansion franchise. The next season he had 15 goals and 100+ PIMs, being traded midway the following season to Philly and immediately scoring a team-high 13 playoff points (tied with MacLeish; more than Clarke, Leach, etc) and the following season had a career year of 21 goals with 211 shots, going to the NHL all-star game for the first of his two times. Two years later he was huge in a Game 6 Stanley Cup Finals run, scoring 17 points in 19 games, 2nd in team playoff assists, with goals on the powerplay and penalty kill, and two of his four markers were game winners. Unfortunately, injuries hampered his all-time great potential and cut his career short at age 28, after eight-plus seasons.

dailey.jpg

... size and strength... with a remarkable amount of agility for a man of his size...

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Thomas Vanek, LW

A very strong offensive player at this level, I'll line him up on my third line as a depth offensive option.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Okay so I don't know how I missed that, I'll go ahead and grab Brenden Morrow, LW

Perfect all around glue guy for my top line

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
TRADE DEAL

To Kelowna: a skipped pick, 150th
To Richmond: 62nd, 86th

Contingent on the player being available.

Hedberg to confirm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad