MLD 2017 Draft Thread

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'll take another small playmaker with a bad playoff record: Ray Whitney, LW.

Whitney will probably man the 2nd line with a more suitable center, while the playmaking Lacroix will take 1st line duties with goal scoring wingers.

I've never been a huge Whitney fan, but the guy somehow managed to put up 1000 points. With only a few LWs on the board even within 10% of his prime production level I thought it'd make sense to grab this level of irreplaceable production while it was out there.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Richmond selects D (and also C/RW, but we're going to use him on D) Goldie Prodger

and

D Marc-Edouard Vlasic (bio forthcoming on how his Norris votes are undervaluing him).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I guess I'll grab two-way minute eater Dave Babych, D. Babych will play on the top pair and top PP, and may or may not be on the 2nd PP unit.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'll add to my D and select Ed Jovanovski, D

ed-jovanovski.jpg

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
With pick 24 Chicago selects Left Winger Yvon Lambert.

yvonlambert.jpg

Lambert will bring a bit of meat and potatoes to the Nilsson Hedberg line.

With pick 25 Chicago selects defenseman Al Iafrate

000305267.jpg

Iafrate will be a good counter for Engblom who will play a defensive game. Iafrate on offense and Engblom with defense.

Next has been pmed.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Packers select 6'1 192 lbs. HHOF left winger Lynn Patrick, the 1942 NHL goal leader and Hart trophy finalist who was 2nd, 2nd and 4th in NHL points the three seasons directly after being a member of the 1940 Stanley Cup championship squad. He played left wing in his best years on a highly effective line with Phil Watson at center and Bryan Hextall, Sr. at right wing. However, Lynn's biggest impact on the playoffs were the first few series of his career when in 1935 the 22-year-old rookie led the Rags in playoff scoring over the Canadiens only to lose the semifinals; two years later he and a trio of other Rags each had three goals in a Stanley Cup finals run. The non-physical finesse player didn't score many playoff goals for the remainder of his career. His 10-year NHL career came to an end when he joined the war effort and went overseas to fight.

LynnPatrick-Builder-1999.jpg

This LW with the offensive peak of Daniel Sedin has been off the board for about 150 picks.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Packers select the greatest two non-NHL Swedish forwards: center Sven Tumba Johansson and left winger Ulf Sterner

Tumba was top forward at the 1957 and 1962 world championships and a much younger teammate Sterner outshone the Soviets and was the 1969 top forward at the world championships.

1113793_520_261.jpg

hiding this here for atd 2018

6'1 220 lbs. Alexander Ragulin, the 5-time world championship all-star, 9-time Soviet 1st team all-star defenseman between 1961-1972 who at the tailend of his career was given the task of handling Esposito in the 1972 Summit Series and Big Phil in his prime scored a relatively-contained 7 points in the 6 games Rags was against him (Esposito had 152 points in 78 NHL games the season just prior to the tourney) and lit it up for 6 points in the two games that the Soviet blueliner wasn't in.

IIHF President said:
Alexander Ragulin personified the Russian bear. He was the kind of player that no forward really wanted to confront in the corner or in front of the Soviet net.
Click to expand...​
The Hockey Writers said:
... a very physical player that was a menace in his defensive end. He could make a good outlet pass and had a good shot, but did not jump into the offensive play very often... 10 World Championship and three Olympic (1964, 1968 and 1972) gold medals... the first Soviet defenseman who developed the skill of blocking shots. More than half a century ago, he sometimes was referred to as the national team’s third goalie. Ragulin was strong as an ox, but rarely crossed the line of dirty play.​

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'll add another offensive guy who peaked playing with his linemate in this. He brings an element my other forwards lack and I'm happy to have him on my second line. The Thrashers select Marc Tardif, LW

latest

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
With Pick 36 Chicago selects centre Barry Pederson

barrypederson.jpg

Though known mainly as the guy Vancouver got for Cam Neely, the guy had a good career in his own right.

With Pick 37 Chicago selects Goalie Mike Vernon

vernon2.jpg

Vernon had 385 wins in his NHL career.

next has been pmed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad