Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Judge and Drury.

tenor.gif

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I understand that. Strikeouts can be forgiven more easily when you bring everything else to the table that Trout does. Adding a marginal player like Drury to a lineup already full of strikeouts is problematic. Particularly when we'll probably have to go through the Astros to win a title. A team that doesn't strike out and is great at situational hitting.
But Drury doesnt strike out that much...

And they got him for a prospect who has multiple players ahead of him and isnt one of our untouchables.

Drury is also just 25 years old and can play all around the INF and corner OF. It is a fantastic depth move. Protects us in case Torres and/or Andujar struggle and/or need their workload managed throughout the year. He also makes nothing and has multiple years of control. He isnt some hack.

I guess the real question is, who else were you expecting to get. And at what cost whether it be via trade or free agency? I would have loved to had Todd Frazier back or Mike Moustakas, but one wanted multiple years and the others salary will be too high. Drury fills a need while still allowing Andujar and Torres to play two-thirds of the season.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
But Drury doesnt strike out that much...

And they got him for a prospect who has multiple players ahead of him and isnt one of our untouchables.

Drury is also just 25 years old and can play all around the INF and corner OF. It is a fantastic depth move. Protects us in case Torres and/or Andujar struggle and/or need their workload managed throughout the year. He also makes nothing and has multiple years of control. He isnt some hack.

I guess the real question is, who else were you expecting to get. And at what cost whether it be via trade or free agency? I would have loved to had Todd Frazier back or Mike Moustakas, but one wanted multiple years and the others salary will be too high. Drury fills a need while still allowing Andujar and Torres to play two-thirds of the season.
I didn't say he was a hack. I'm just concerned about this offense when facing the kind of quality pitching that we'll see in the playoffs. They don't manufacture runs and they strike out a ton. We were embarrassingly futile offensively in those games in Houston.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's sad. A guy who only hits 13 homers should be putting the ball in play more than that.

I suppose, but homers aren't everything. By exit velocity, Drury hits hard balls at an above average rate and makes medium contact at an elite rate. He should easily hit .270 and he'll be hitting line drives into short dimensions. I think a line drive hitter does this team a lot of good.

If there's any issue with Drury, it's that his defense blows, but I like his offense.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Meh. Id rather they just sign Moustakas and give up the pick for in process than losing a good hitting prospect like Solak for an inferior player.

I'll give Cashman the benefit of the doubt though. Could be another Didi like trade.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Solak has a solid bat that'd play at 2B only. He doesn't have an arm to play 3B or corner OF or range to play SS. JMO but I probably wouldn't have him in top-10.

Reactions: RGY

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I suppose, but homers aren't everything. By exit velocity, Drury hits hard balls at an above average rate and makes medium contact at an elite rate. He should easily hit .270 and he'll be hitting line drives into short dimensions. I think a line drive hitter does this team a lot of good.

If there's any issue with Drury, it's that his defense blows, but I like his offense.
Love the exit velo stats and rates. I wish we had/could get that for shot velocity/location in hockey.

Reactions: Machinehead

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Wouldn't just be a pick, it'll also be losing international pool money. Solak is a good prospect but replaceable. Drury can also play all the infield positions and some corner outfield if needed. Plus he makes a little above the minimum and keeps all options open for an upgrade in the rotation while staying under the tax.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Meh. Id rather they just sign Moustakas and give up the pick for in process than losing a good hitting prospect like Solak for an inferior player.

I'll give Cashman the benefit of the doubt though. Could be another Didi like trade.
I would rather not give up the pick nor give multiple years to Moustakas. This isn't Didi. This is a placeholder for Andujar.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would rather not give up the pick nor give multiple years to Moustakas. This isn't Didi. This is a placeholder for Andujar.
Yeah after sleeping in on it, I think it's a much better move actually.

They're stripping the payroll for something bigger.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wouldn't just be a pick, it'll also be losing international pool money. Solak is a good prospect but replaceable. Drury can also play all the infield positions and some corner outfield if needed. Plus he makes a little above the minimum and keeps all options open for an upgrade in the rotation while staying under the tax.

And he's also only 25.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
And he's also only 25.

Also has the Barb Underhill of the MLB on his side.

Brandon Drury, the new Yankees third baseman, spent the offseason working with Robert Van Skoyoc, the hitting guru who helped transform the careers of J.D. Martinez and Chris Taylor (among others). "I'd put a good swing on the ball and get a single or maybe a double in the gap," Drury said. The goal is to, yes, hit more balls in the air and more home runs than the 13 he hit in 2017. Maybe that's what Brian Cashman alluded to when he said the Yankees felt there was more untapped potential in Drury.
-David Schoenfield, ESPN Senior Writer

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also has the Barb Underhill of the MLB on his side.

-David Schoenfield, ESPN Senior Writer

To our credit, our player development is awesome, as Didi, Hicks, and Judge will attest to.

We have some misses as every team does, but guys generally get better on the Yankees.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of Hicks, I'm excited to see what he can do as the everyday CF if he can stay healthy.

The dude's analytics were off the charts last year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yankees won today.

Boone was on with Michael in the 5th inning and said Drury is definitely working at 3B.

Jack Curry was in the booth in the 6th saying that even though Drury is working at 3B, Torres is far from a sure thing at 2B and faces competition from Tyler Wade, Jace Peterson, and Danny Espinoza. I'm not sure how much I believe that.

Torres forget how many outs there were at one point, but proceeded to turn a really nice double play with two outs :laugh:

Yankees looked extremely patient today, tallying 7 walks. Only 8 K's. That seems to be the approach being preached, at least early on.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You think Drury is as locked in at third as they say, or could he take those reps until Torres is up?

Espinoza/Wade/Peterson are not particularly attractive.

Drury will play 2B as well IMO. Reps at 3B as an insurance for Andujar. If Andujar has a bad Spring then Drury at 3B and some sort of platoon at 2B.

Imo Torres at AAA and just let him tear it up. Unless he's lights out in ST and basically forces their hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad