OT: MLB Thread 2024

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Big yikes for Ohtani. Looks kind of suspicious.
Its going to be interesting to follow. How can someone send a wire for $500k from someone elses account? Even if the buddy takes the blame thats where Ohtani has a major isdue nevermind the two completely different explanations.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
Everyone dogs on the NHL, but have they ever opened up the season at 3am local time with their biggest stars?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Story is that Ohtani paid off his interpreter’s gambling debt and told him to knock it off. They’re old friends. Interpreter was gambling on other sports, which is normally fine, except he used an illegal bookie for some bets.

Again, that’s just the story. MLB has an enormous financial interest in protecting Ohtani’s brand, so who knows what the truth is. Doesn’t sound like the MLB did much investigating. Somewhere Pete Rose is punching air right now.

Reactions: KennyWu

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Story is that Ohtani paid off his interpreter’s gambling debt and told him to knock it off. They’re old friends. Interpreter was gambling on other sports, which is normally fine, except he used an illegal bookie for some bets.

Again, that’s just the story. MLB has an enormous financial interest in protecting Ohtani’s brand, so who knows what the truth is. Doesn’t sound like the MLB did much investigating. Somewhere Pete Rose is punching air right now.

If there’s anything else, it will come out.

Just because the MLB won’t dig further doesn’t mean that others won’t.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

That was the original story which would be breaking MLB betting rules and then they changed the story to the friend stealing money from Ohtani. The second story would not explain how bank wires were sent to the bookie from Ohtani.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
MLB will be best served keeping its mouth shut and letting the Feds/DOJ work their magic.

I think what this will come down to is how aggressively the eventual assigned prosecutor wants to pursue Ohtani. I don't buy the second version of the story for a second. Even if his motives were purely altruistic there is no doubt in my mind that he initiated the wire transfers and inscribed them as 'loan repayment'. That by any construction constitutes wire fraud and is subject to
serious prison time-and he'd be on the hook for multiple counts (each payment).

Good. I'm sick and tired of seeing his face plastered everywhere and his employer held up as some sort of paragon of organizational virtue. They cannot crash fast and hard enough to suit me. The bonus is his buddy Yo-Yo got absolutely destroyed in his first opportunity to start a game against real Major League talent.

Reactions: will1066

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
MLB will be best served keeping its mouth shut and letting the Feds/DOJ work their magic.

I think what this will come down to is how aggressively the eventual assigned prosecutor wants to pursue Ohtani. I don't buy the second version of the story for a second. Even if his motives were purely altruistic there is no doubt in my mind that he initiated the wire transfers and inscribed them as 'loan repayment'. That by any construction constitutes wire fraud and is subject to
serious prison time-and he'd be on the hook for multiple counts (each payment).

Good. I'm sick and tired of seeing his face plastered everywhere and his employer held up as some sort of paragon of organizational virtue. They cannot crash fast and hard enough to suit me. The bonus is his buddy Yo-Yo got absolutely destroyed in his first opportunity to start a game against real Major League talent.
I do not want Ohani treated any better nor any worse than any other player. I'm not surprised that gambling is an issue. There will probably be others.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Agreed. This is just the start of pro sports gambling problems. I don't care if people bet on sports. Leagues associating too closely with gambling creates problems.
My amatuer assumption is that a percetage of the public will become gambling addicts and that percentage is likely to include some pro athletes that will bet on their own sports. For years pro leagues did not want to have franchises in Vegas because of gambling concerns. I think some of those concerns may turn out to be valid. Hopefully it is limited to a small percentage.

Reactions: Elvis P

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
My amatuer assumption is that a percetage of the public will become gambling addicts and that percentage is likely to include some pro athletes that will bet on their own sports. For years pro leagues did not want to have franchises in Vegas because of gambling concerns. I think some of those concerns may turn out to be valid. Hopefully it is limited to a small percentage.

It’s harder to bet on sports in Vegas these days than it is New York.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad