Recalled/Assigned: Mittelstadt assigned to Rochester 12/15

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Dear lord, let the kid play a dozen or so games before everyone tries to nitpick his stats.

We're allowed to follow and evaluate his play in real time, just like many of us did with olofsson earlier in the year; he was playing poorly at ES, he improved and many of us noted it along the way. This tweet basically sums it up...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Dear lord, let the kid play a dozen or so games before everyone tries to nitpick his stats.

don’t think there’s anything wrong with criticizing a players game or his stats. People that are making final judgements based on said numbers, well, that’s ridiculous.

Reactions: debaser66

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think people are counting him out so much as they're tempering their expectations of what he can accomplish given that he was a player who was rushed into the NHL and now has to be sent down during the last year that he's waiver-eligible. He's also an RFA that needs to be re-signed this summer.

I was worried about a Cody Hodgson deal for him, if Botts would try to get a "core" player on the cheap for longer term. So I am somewhat relieved that he fell apart even more this year. Unless he can pull himself out of this, he can go on the pile of promising players that the organization has failed.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not allowing these 3 games in Rochester change my feelings about Mitts. I thought he was a bust before he went down.
It was certainly a high risk pick, especially where they picked him - not a lot of scouting on him as he played for Eden Prairie instead of opting for a full season of Juniors. I'd say his best showing was the WJC and maybe a prospect camp. Usually you see some flashes of a skill set, even when playing over their heads. I would say we have never seen the type of play at the NHL level that we saw from him with Team USA. Board play, soft hands in tight spaces. Nothing in years. You could be right, but like lost of others have noted, I'm going to give him a few months. If he can find that game again, he could still turn into something.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I wish I had a time machine so I could go two years forward and see how Casey has progressed. I still believe in him as a talent, but boy does he have a lot of work to do.

Reactions: coastal

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Casey has not shown the talent of his draft position....so reach on the pick. That said, it doesn't mean he isn't capable of being an excellent NHL player. Hitting the reset and developing him like a midround pick is the way to go and will take years to see where it ends up. Either stick that out or trade him. However, if you trade him you better be getting equal potential in return. If not, just wait it out. This thread should die as it is essentially pointless for at least several months to years. :P

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Casey has not shown the talent of his draft position....so reach on the pick. That said, it doesn't mean he isn't capable of being an excellent NHL player. Hitting the reset and developing him like a midround pick is the way to go and will take years to see where it ends up. Either stick that out or trade him. However, if you trade him you better be getting equal potential in return. If not, just wait it out. This thread should die as it is essentially pointless for at least several months to years. :P

His WJC performance definitely showed talent worthy of being 8th overall. Put yourself back to the months leading up to his draft. Casey was 3rd for NA skaters according to Central Scouting. Dobber had him 4th overall.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I liked how he played tonight in the second half of the game. He had a rough shift, seemed confused and almost like he was wondering which seat was his despite being in front of JJ in the low slot in the 2nd period... and after that, he was more engaged skating and harder on the puck than I have seen since the U20's. With Skinner's injury, I doubt if they leave him down, but it would be great to see a 30-game stretch punctuated by that sort of play.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
His WJC performance definitely showed talent worthy of being 8th overall. Put yourself back to the months leading up to his draft. Casey was 3rd for NA skaters according to Central Scouting. Dobber had him 4th overall.
The draft is a crap shoot. The 2017 draft was a lot of crap. He was definitely worthy of 8th overall. No one really stands out as a guy that obviously should have been picked instead. The #6 pick, Cody Glass and #7 pick Lias Andersson are worse than Mitts.
2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The draft is a crap shoot. The 2017 draft was a lot of crap. He was definitely worthy of 8th overall. No one really stands out as a guy that obviously should have been picked instead. The #6 pick, Cody Glass and #7 pick Lias Andersson are worse than Mitts.
2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Despite that, Buffalo actually had a solid 2017 draft, snagging two of our top 6 prospects and trading for a third

Reactions: Icicle

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

he was worthy of the pick. He should’ve been kept in College until his junior year.

Member 308457

I sure like Drake Batherson of the Belleville/Ottawa Senators...trade?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
5 games. Minus 4. Not good.

Not just -4, but only 1 point (a 2nd assist on the PP) in 5 games and the Amerks, previously one of the top 3 teams in the league, have 3 regulation losses in the 5 games he's played.

So, if you're keeping track, that's 4 regulation losses for the Amerks in 26 games pre-Mittelstadt, and 3 regulation losses in 5 games with him.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Not just -4, but only 1 point (a 2nd assist on the PP) in 5 games and the Amerks, previously one of the top 3 teams in the league, have 3 regulation losses in the 5 games he's played.

So, if you're keeping track, that's 4 regulation losses for the Amerks in 26 games pre-Mittelstadt, and 3 regulation losses in 5 games with him.

next-level stats watching is standings-watching

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I liked how he played tonight in the second half of the game. He had a rough shift, seemed confused and almost like he was wondering which seat was his despite being in front of JJ in the low slot in the 2nd period... and after that, he was more engaged skating and harder on the puck than I have seen since the U20's. With Skinner's injury, I doubt if they leave him down, but it would be great to see a 30-game stretch punctuated by that sort of play.
Not sure who they would call up but I can't see him being called up...I think he's going to have to earn it, and that could take a while

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

Vomit inducing.

I think we must trade him ASAP while he had some value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad