Recalled/Assigned: Mitchell Stephens Called Up to Montreal

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Lablans here three years as conditioning coach and these have been the three most Injury heavy years we've ever seen. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation but it's the only hiring timeline that adds up.

I can't just believe in coincidences to have three heavily injury plagued years.
Are we down to blaming the physios?

Dont go near a roulette wheel or you might say its rigged or blame the croupier cause 0 can come out 3 times in a row and it will be totally normal.
Its luck, not size, not style, not coaching, not the physios. Luck has a mind of its own.

the most important thing is for the injuries to be spreaded out. Overt time and over positions.
We have all three goalies, 3 forwards are out, lost Savard, X, Harris, all 2nd-3rd pair.
It hurts but imagine losing all three goalies.

11 skaters (out of 18) played every game. All 3 goalies are healthy.
Guhle missed 4, Barron 3
Losing Dach, now Newhook and X hurt. Thats 3.

Other teams get injured too. I believe Wash was most-impacted by injuries last year. Twitter NHlinjuryViz has raw numbers (with Price and Wideman) but also weighted graphs, even a 3 year one. You will be surprised by the results…

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Dach is a cupcake, Savard isn't our Core, and Arbs is doing all the dirty work because there is nobody else to dish it out. You rebuild around big teams, not soft ones

Look at the correlation between team size, injuries and success.. it isn't a secret.

No. You don't get to decide the big guys don't count but when the small guys get hurt, all of a sudden "they're a small team and that's why they get hurt."

Even last year, 90% of the guys who were injured and out long term were over 6' and over 200 lbs.

But please, keep telling us how it's because they're small.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
another year of a small team getting injured, nothing new. Kent put together another soft team so the injuries are not unexpected. You'll never convinced me that this club's fascination with small core players is leading to massive injuries for the last 35 years.
What the heck?

Our injured include David Savard, Kirby Dach, and Arber Xhekaj.

Last year all three of those plus Matheson, Anderson, Monahan, Dvorak, Armia, Edmundson.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
No. You don't get to decide the big guys don't count but when the small guys get hurt, all of a sudden "they're a small team and that's why they get hurt."

Even last year, 90% of the guys who were injured and out long term were over 6' and over 200 lbs.

There is a difference between small and soft , this team has a collection of both.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There is a difference between small and soft , this team has a collection of both.

You said "another year of a small team getting injured," and also "said this team's fascination of small core players is leading to massive injuries."

I pointed out that the size argument is inaccurate.

Reactions: DAChampion

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
another year of a small team getting injured, nothing new. Kent put together another soft team so the injuries are not unexpected. You'll never convinced me that this club's fascination with small core players is leading to massive injuries for the last 35 years.
I heard that they’re the 7th biggest team in the league or something

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Interesting they called up a guy who is ostensibly a center iceman. It kind of makes sense with Monahan going to the wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He isn't NHL material imo as he is a low IQ player.

He has some nice wheels and decent hands but he drives me nuts as much as he can be exciting at times. This is the reason that he has never been a big scorer at any level despite his speed and hands and it is the reason that he is 26 on an AHL contract with 1 career NHL game under his belt. I like him on Laval despite my frustration with him at times but he does not belong in the NHL at all.

I was laughed at by some posters at the start of the season for listing Stephens on the Habs C depth chart but he has some ability to play a responsible two way game as a 4th line center and has 72 games of NHL experience doing so including a Stanley Cup ring where he got into 7 playoff games and scored a goal in one of them. He is a reasonable call up and was always in the plans to do so if needed.
Laval's end of season went tits up when Stephens went down. It was noted by many of the regulars.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Fatigue is far more of a factor than size. Those long ass dzone shifts have plagued us for about three seasons now.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Explain how it's the GM's fault if a player gets injured??...be fair...and above all...be logical!!
I never blamed the GM for the player's injury. Please summarize what you believe that I said, and then I can tell you where the error in your understanding lies.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Dach is a cupcake, Savard isn't our Core, and Arbs is doing all the dirty work because there is nobody else to dish it out. You rebuild around big teams, not soft ones

Look at the correlation between team size, injuries and success.. it isn't a secret.
Back to old-time hockey, if ya can’t beat ‘‘em in the alley ya can’t beat ‘‘em on the ice!!! RIP King Clancy.

Let’s just say soft!

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
LeBou.png

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm always happy for AHL/NHL tweeners such as Stephens when they manage to score a goal in the big show !

He has a Stanley Cup ring and a playoff goal under his belt so while I am sure he was pumped to score, it falls well short of some of his other NHL highlights

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He has a Stanley Cup ring and a playoff goal under his belt so while I am sure he was pumped to score, it falls well short of some of his other NHL highlights
He was an early second rounder after all. His numbers were so bad in junior though. Ironically, his pick was part of the Griffin Reinhart trade that also gave the Isles a first they took Barzal with, then later flipped with a third to Tampa for the Isles to trade up and get Beauvillier. Tampa got Cirelli with that third, easily the best of the three.

His scouting report was fast and defensively responsible, they certainly must have thought he would be what Cirelli became. Mike Richards was his comp. Evans seems to be handling a middle six role pretty well, may as well let Stephens marinate on the fourth and see if there's anything there. We don't have any other C's in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad